Pawpaws

b116757

5 year old buck +
I planted 50 pawpaws in this year’s spring planting because our late farm manager requested that I plant some and I do think they must have plenty of wildlife value. The new farm I bought has at least two native groves of pawpaws growing that my boys and I have stumbled across so far. Really looking forward to seeing just what these interesting little trees do for wildlife. I’m planning on setting up a couple game cameras in their immediate vicinity latter this summer. We don’t visit about pawpaws much on the furim I’m sure because they fruit way to early to be of any hunting value but they certainly should add nutritional value to the herd if utilized.

I planted 50 pawpaws in this year’s spring planting because our late farm manager requested that I plant some and I do think they must have plenty of wildlife value. The new farm I bought has at least two native groves of pawpaws growing that my boys and I have stumbled across so far. Really looking forward to seeing just what these interesting little trees do for wildlife. I’m planning on setting up a couple game cameras in their immediate vicinity latter this summer. We don’t visit about pawpaws much on the furim I’m sure because they fruit way to early to be of any hunting value but they certainly should add nutritional value to the herd if utilized.
Pawpaws are great for wildlife! When the fruit ripens both deer and turkey devour them. I've found many a pawpaw seed in a crop when cleaning turkey. I have a few that I've grown from seed, but no fruit yet. They propagate asexually but cannot pollinate themselves. They need a genetically different tree as a pollinator. The fact that you have two groves it really good news. A single grove is often asexually propagation of the same tree. Having a second grove some distance from the first indicates a sexual partner.

Pawpaws are difficult to propagate and grow. They are an understory tree, but they fruit best in good sun. Seedlings are photosensitive. The will often die in the first year or two in full sun. So, when growing them, you need to provide temporary shade for seedlings. I did that by growing mine in containers where I could care from them for the first couple years in shade and then planted them in full sun in the field. They are slow growers and don't transplant well.

I'd be tickled pink if I had two groves of native pawpaws growing on my land. I'm waiting patiently for the first fruit from my trees. You've got a really great situation!

Thanks,

Jack

Most definitely two separate groves but not terribly far apart one on each side of a creek so I know for sure separate groves. There could be more we have only walked part of the creek bottom so far. I am pretty excited about the new place it’s got some character for sure.

Most definitely two separate groves but not terribly far apart one on each side of a creek so I know for sure separate groves. There could be more we have only walked part of the creek bottom so far. I am pretty excited about the new place it’s got some character for sure.

If they are older trees and production is not what you want, you can slowly get them more sun by removing canopy trees over several years. That should increase production.

By the way, having your two groves proximate is great. They have a unique scheme for pollination. The small like decaying carrion when in bloom. They attract flies instead of bees as pollen transfer agents.

We found a third pawpaw grove this time we took our time and looked it over pretty well. This one gets more sun and is fruiting if I remove a couple more trees to it’s south I’d guess it would produce quite a bit more fruit next year.

Attachments

• 1E5049E3-8ADF-4032-A124-E780ABF5AACE.jpeg
    1E5049E3-8ADF-4032-A124-E780ABF5AACE.jpeg
    300.2 KB · Views: 8
We found a third pawpaw grove this time we took our time and looked it over pretty well. This one gets more sun and is fruiting if I remove a couple more trees to it’s south I’d guess it would produce quite a bit more fruit next year.
Outstanding!