St. Lawerence Nursery trees are up

Gmule82

A good 3 year old buck
They have all winter hangover, winter wildlife and a new one, big deer crab. A few other crabs as well that I didn’t see last year.

I was looking for a chenango strawberry since I’m in Chenango county but didn’t offer it this year. I’m looking forward to planting some from this nursery this spring.

You owe me $268. I’m a sucker for those two crabs. Also threw in a Trailman, Big Deer and Tolman Sweet.

You owe me $268. I’m a sucker for those two crabs. Also threw in a Trailman, Big Deer and Tolman Sweet.
I looked up Tolman Sweet. Looks good. I got Midwest Deer Trees left. I’m pricing out fencing and supplies. Going to be my biggest planting year to date for the spring

I looked up Tolman Sweet. Looks good. I got Midwest Deer Trees left. I’m pricing out fencing and supplies. Going to be my biggest planting year to date for the spring
I have 10 or so on order from Blue Hill too. I needed another apple like a hole in the head. Have about 80 in the ground already.

I have 10 or so on order from Blue Hill too. I needed another apple like a hole in the head. Have about 80 in the ground already.
Sucker here too. Before I got on this forum, I figured 6 or 8 apple trees would be enough for hunting camp. We're over 80 trees as well. Oh well .......... maybe one day some of the younger generation will take a deer near one of those trees and wonder when the tree was planted - or maybe be thankful the apple tree was there.

You ever eat Chenango strawberry? Was tempted to get that one. Got Awho on a young tree and a scion or two growing on a mature tree. What's the difference between winter wildlife and AWHO. My camp is a out 40 miles from st lawrence.

You ever eat Chenango strawberry? Was tempted to get that one. Got Awho on a young tree and a scion or two growing on a mature tree. What's the difference between winter wildlife and AWHO. My camp is an out 40 miles from st lawrence.
Never ate one but since it was from around my area and having heard of old farms here had lots of them, just wanting an heirloom apple tree that originated here. I heard they are a great eater but that’s all subjective.

I couldn’t tell you about winter wildlife or hangover, but I have seen through comments they have a good reputation. Someone else with firsthand knowledge might be able to comment.

You ever eat Chenango strawberry? Was tempted to get that one. Got Awho on a young tree and a scion or two growing on a mature tree. What's the difference between winter wildlife and AWHO. My camp is an out 40 miles from st lawrence.
Not sure on difference but my 2016 trees are starting to pump out the fruit. Deer go on their hind legs for AWH. Both hold fruit late. I shake the trees to get them to drop.

Not sure on difference but my 2016 trees are starting to pump out the fruit. Deer go on their hind legs for AWH. Both hold fruit late. I shake the trees to get them to drop.
Will they usually drop eventually?

Will they usually drop eventually?
They will hang most of winter. I had them on in feb/march. Good for other critters too I'd imagine.

Looking to get them up north for the grouse and snowshoe hares. Deer leave when the snow is about 18 inches. Go to a local lake. Usually mid Dec to early april.

Thanks...... so much for my 30 day no buy trees coin......

Now I got a few in the shopping cart. No anty rootstock this year from SLN.....

You ever eat Chenango strawberry? Was tempted to get that one. Got Awho on a young tree and a scion or two growing on a mature tree. What's the difference between winter wildlife and AWHO. My camp is a out 40 miles from st lawrence.
I believe winter wildlife produces fruit every year and AWHO produces every other year. Both are supposed to be disease resistant and late hangers

Our camp has both AWH and Winter Wildlife trees. AWH has bigger fruit - about 1 1/2" to 2" in dia. It starts dropping in October for us (zone 5 & 6 border), and it drops most of its fruit by late December. I haven't seen fruit hang on through winter ....... yet?? We had fruit on AWH from SLN in year 3 on Antonovka roots.

Winter Wildlife is a smaller fruited crab - about 1" to 1 1/4" in dia. - bright red when ripe. It starts dropping its fruit slowly in late October for us, and most of it hangs & drops slowly through the winter. WW crab fruited for us in year 2, but I pulled them off. This tree grows fast compared to AWH. It's the fastest-growing apple or crab we've planted.

Both varieties attract deer for us. We like both for sure.

EDIT - - I read TenPoint's post below and, like his AWH, ours has produced every year as well. Same with Winter Wildlife crab.

Last edited:
I believe winter wildlife produces fruit every year and AWHO produces every other year. Both are supposed to be disease resistant and late hangers
My AWHO has not taken a year off.

Getting ready for camp tonight. Bringing up a potted crossbow and droptine. I have a AWHO on SLN anty rootstock in a grow pot. Tempted to grow it at home. I got free reign over the property between my house and the in-laws. But, its deeded 1/2 to my wife and 1/2 to her sister. Real estate is insane here 2 hours north of NYC since covid. Not sure if the sister will just give her 1/2 to my wife, or she will deed it to my wife's kids, In that case I got to shell out some serious cash for fair market. 40 acres of a demolished horse barn is on the market for 1.4 million Right next door to my house.

This extra couple of acres will be about 120 grand. I food plot it and put up privacy spruce trees. Would be upset if I had to let go of the parcel with trees on it. I've been trying to keep the apple trees on my land only.

Did SLN have anty for sle, but sold out of it? Not even listed. They have siberian crab rootstock. Passed up on buying from them because they didn't have rootstock. Would of picked up cheango strawberry, violi crab, and winter wildlife.

I get the SLN catalog mailed to me so not sure about their web site but don't think they really sell rootstocks per se. They do list having pear seedlings, siberian crabs, and native american plums which could be used as rootstocks. These are cheap like under $5/ea and being 1-3 ft. So don't think they typically offer Anty rootstocks.

BTW, they did note that their grafted crabapples are on siberian crab roots and not anty like most of their other apples. Some reference being made that siberian is even more winter hardy but not as accepting of grafting to as many varieties so would guess that anty is really an alternative if siberian crab root is a poor choice.

Edit: looked at a few prior year catalogs and did see anty seedlings offered but not in the 2024 latest one.

Last edited:
Last year, all 4 of the trees I bought from them arrived broken. Their packaging is terrible. They try and put a stick in the plastic bag they put the trees in. The stick was broken along with the trees. Given the size of the trees. I don't know why they won't uses boxes to ship them in.

1697210617716.png

Yoh guys are bad influrnce on me...

Got about 25 seedlings i can graft already....

Lefyover antys, dolgo, american aople, american cranapple,and trascedent crab. Mostly from willis last year. All were tiny like red coffee stir stick.

Looked at fedco, they got anty b118 and m111. Add dolgo and it would be about perfect 1 stop rootstock place

Last year, all 4 of the trees I bought from them arrived broken. Their packaging is terrible. They try and put a stick in the plastic bag they put the trees in. The stick was broken along with the trees. Given the size of the trees. I don't know why they won't uses boxes to ship them in.

View attachment 58374
I never got broken trees when I bought from SLN, but I bought most of our trees from them when Bill MacKentley was the owner. I doubt SLN packaged trees like that - all bent up & busted. Shipping companies' employees often toss packages around with no regard to what's inside. Boxes would be a better choice for safety, though. I hope your trees survive the rough handling.