Looking for drop times on Shafer, Linda Sweet, Violi's, All Winger Hangover

CrazyEd

5 year old buck +
Hey All!
I am going through my nursery planning out which trees I will plant next weekend. I am putting another 20 trees in the ground. There are a few varieties i'm not super familiar with and i'm looking for some better estimates on when these drop, so I can plan their planting locations accordingly.

Linda Sweet
Shafer
All Winter Hangover - does it really hang forever or do people see some of the fruit start to drop during the fall (hunting season). I have a few of these but havent observed drop time, when they hit the ground.
Violi's - I have a picture of last fall - november 12th, I still had quite a few hanging and i'm not sure if any were hitting the ground at that time.
Maya Apple
Trailman - some of the notes i've seen indicate this one is an early dropper.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
-Ed

I can only help with Trailman. Here in zone 6, borderline 7, it is ripe the second week of August. For us it typically it does not hold well once ripe .

Cant tell you about all winter hangover, but my future plans with all winter hangover is ruffed grouse and snowshoe hare. Putting them where we got decent hunting spots up at camp. Deer up there leave when snow gets about 18 inches and come back early april. I feel that they are pretty similar to toringo crabapple, they litterally dont drop, birds get them first....

Hoping they're zone 3 friendly.

all winter hangover was from saint lawrence nursery? wondered what happen to it up there? not on their site. whitetail crabs has a winter gold that looks real similar, thy say late fall into winter.

Last edited:
Linda sweet. Check out the Sandbur post in the crabapple timeline thread from 2-19-23. At least some fruit still hanging. Think he might have shafer and trailman planted too. You could pm him if he doesn't see this and jump in with some comments.

For the winter hang over and violas, believe bowsnbucks has posted on these and probably has some trees older than most on here. My awho still need to throw some fruit yet ...maybe this yr?!

Sorry no real answers but a couple names to ask for Intel.

There might even be some intel in the crabapple timeline thread, that is it's intent. But with 53 pages and growing might take some time to sort thru.

I gave my Viola a shake around Thanksgiving to get the remaining apples down. I think it starts dropping mid November

I haven't had any fruit yet on Violi's (2016). The all-winter hangover dropped when I shook the tree in October. Otherwise I haven't been around to see what it does in the winter. My trailman got wrecked by coon's the one year it had apples.

Cant tell you about all winter hangover, but my future plans with all winter hangover is ruffed grouse and snowshoe hare. Putting them where we got decent hunting spots up at camp. Deer up there leave when snow gets about 18 inches and come back early april. I feel that they are pretty similar to toringo crabapple, they litterally dont drop, birds get them first....

Hoping they're zone 3 friendly.

all winter hangover was from saint lawrence nursery? wondered what happen to it up there? not on their site. whitetail crabs has a winter gold that looks real similar, thy say late fall into winter.
If you are looking for a great grouse crabapple, try red splendor crabapple. They are small and the grouse love them. A lot of the county soil and water departments offer them for spring sales. In my area the red splendor crabapple trees they sell are seedlings, so there is some fruit size variation. But you can't beat the price - Typically a pack of 20 trees is somewhere around $50.

My all-winter hangover trees hold the fruit all winter unless something comes and knocks them down.

Turkeys seem to see the fruit and when they fly up to grab some fruit they also knock some down.

All Winter Hangover - does it really hang forever or do people see some of the fruit start to drop during the fall (hunting season). I have a few of these but havent observed drop time, when they hit the ground.
We've had AWH since Spring 2013. Ours start dropping a few at the end of October, through November and into December - slowly. I'm not up at camp later than that, so I don't know how long they hold on.

We also have Trailman crab, and it's an earlier ripener / dropper. I've eaten a few Trailman in early September at camp in NC Pa.

We have 1 Violi's hanging crab at camp. I haven't personally seen fruit on it yet, but it's not in an ideal spot, and we have squirrels by the truck-load and coons too. So maybe those critters get what fruit is produced on it. Sorry I can't give you an answer on Violi's crab.

Hey All!
I am going through my nursery planning out which trees I will plant next weekend. I am putting another 20 trees in the ground. There are a few varieties i'm not super familiar with and i'm looking for some better estimates on when these drop, so I can plan their planting locations accordingly.

Linda Sweet
Shafer
Violi's - I have a picture of last fall - november 12th, I still had quite a few hanging and i'm not sure if any were hitting the ground at that time.
Maya Apple
Trailman - some of the notes i've seen indicate this one is an early dropper.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
-Ed
I just took a quick look at my notes. 8-28-21, Trailman was ripe and starting to drop. 8-23-22 date for Trailman.

Violi’s has no fruit yet and I pruned it hard this year. Maybe next year.

I picked just a few Linda Sweet this year and did note some apples on it this winter.E5E578F0-E421-4779-B667-96D2AEA546B8.jpeg

Think trailman would make a good light tasting cider with some pear to sweeten it up. Looking for a apple that lines up well with my Bartlett and kieffer pears late August ripe times. Have dolgo, chestnut, liberty, and mcintosh as my earlier producers.

Was considering getting pristine next year as a possibilty. However, have 2 trailman grafted this spring in the ground.

I do have a gin pear growing, ripens early september, Has higher tannins an acid to make some flavor to a more basic apple.

Think trailman would make a good light tasting cider with some pear to sweeten it up. Looking for a apple that lines up well with my Bartlett and kieffer pears late August ripe times. Have dolgo, chestnut, liberty, and mcintosh as my earlier producers.

Was considering getting pristine next year as a possibilty. However, have 2 trailman grafted this spring in the ground.

I do have a gin pear growing, ripens early september, Has higher tannins an acid to make some flavor to a more basic apple.
In my climate, Trailman has ripened mid to late August and is quite sweet. Dolgo ripens about Labor Day to start with and chestnut starts about a week later. I do prefer chestnut later in the ripening period.

Some of the wild crabs are strong on tannins.