My little piece of dirt.....

Are your 3 year old DCO's producing yet? Any pics of those?
I looked back and this tree is 4 yrs old. This DCO had only 3 acorns at 3 yrs old, but has a good many this yr.

This it the 4 yr old DCO

The beauty of that is you're going to get exponential yields from here. Congrats! I wish we could grow them up here. Up where we are, our list is pretty lean when it comes to native vegetation options. I'll have bur oak acorns in a decade or two maybe. Who knows?

The beauty of that is you're going to get exponential yields from here. Congrats! I wish we could grow them up here. Up where we are, our list is pretty lean when it comes to native vegetation options. I'll have bur oak acorns in a decade or two maybe. Who knows?
Are there no native bur oaks on your north 40 in zone 172?

Nope. The previous owner cashed in the hardwoods before it was lost back to the bank. And there were some doozies out there.

I got lucky when my grandfather cut my place back in the day, they left all trees near a creek. A guy that was working on the crew knew my grandfather and talked him into leaving a 100 yard strip of hardwoods on both creeks on the place. I'm glad they did. Every property around us is pine trees.

I have this spot on my place that is a hill and it has a lot of small rocks on it. I always take my boys there to enjoy their slingshots.

We had a little campfire last night . lol

I have this spot on my place that is a hill and it has a lot of small rocks on it. I always take my boys there to enjoy their slingshots.

Sling shots sure bring back memories. I grew up with wrist rockets. We use to shoot allot when we were kids.

I have several DCOs on my place in Minnesota. I am surprised they have survived our winters but they are 3 years old and about 4' tall. I just took them out of their tree tubes this year and caged them, the deer were eating all of the top growth. We will see how they do the next few years.

Sling shots sure bring back memories. I grew up with wrist rockets. We use to shoot allot when we were kids.

I have several DCOs on my place in Minnesota. I am surprised they have survived our winters but they are 3 years old and about 4' tall. I just took them out of their tree tubes this year and caged them, the deer were eating all of the top growth. We will see how they do the next few years.
There is other things kids can do than video games right...

Checked camera and got a few coming along.

There is other things kids can do than video games right...
Agree, kids have great imaginations and can make games up out whatever they have. Video games and I'll add -over organized sports/anything lessons their ability to play on their own.

Sling shots, great fun.

Nice looking deer, you have choices.

This it the 4 yr old DCO

Crazy how tall those are after a few years. That's pretty good growth on ANY 4 year old oak, let alone DCO's.

Crazy how tall those are after a few years. That's pretty good growth on ANY 4 year old oak, let alone DCO's.
I know that one has really grown fast. The other few I have is half that size. Kinda weird how different same kinda tree will grow and it will not be 30 yards from other with Purdy mutch same dirt and everything.

Looking great. Your deer are really coming along fast!

This is one of my northern red oaks. I only have 10 of them planted.
I need to go in and do some trimming around them. They are all this size, but just needs the competing vegetation removed.

. I tried to buy at least 10 of every tree I planted and planted them in groups. I did this kinda thinking that if planted together and that kind of tree was loaded with acorns ....then you could hunt that group of oaks then another when they had acorns loaded .
Some oaks I planted way more than groups of ten. (50-250)

My goal was diversity on my place.

. This is a list of the trees I have planted. I'm sure I will forget some.
Chinkipin oak.
Dwarf chinkipin oak
Water oak
Pin oak
Willow oak
Nuttall oak
Shumard oak
Scarlett oak
Swamp chestnut oak
Chestnut oak
White oak
Southern red oak
Northern red oak.
Cherry bark oak.
Live oak
sawtooth oak
7 kinds of hybrid oaks (from native nursury )

Dunstan chestnut

Japanese persimmon
Kifler pear
Orient pear
Barlet pear
Sugar pear
Moonglow pear
Wild deer pear
Transcendent crabapple
Southern crabapple
Calloway crabapple
2 apple trees I can remember