My cultipacker build

dsinwi

5 year old buck +
FINALLY got around to getting a culipacker\roller together. It's been a long time coming.
I got the culvert from a gentleman who lives near me off another build thread on this site. The steel I picked up from a couple friends who are in the business. Made a jig for the band saw to cut perfect circles to center the pipe and had my son mix and fill it up. Had a retired friend weld it up for me. When it was all said and done I think I have no more than a hundo into. The culvert, the concrete and a bottle of Soul Boxer for the welder:)
I'll be putting in plots this weekend and will test it out!

Attachments

• Packer.jpg
    Packer.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 154
looks good!

Sweet build there!

Yep that should do it.
On the cheap too...

What's the diameter of the culvert that you used, how wide is it and how much concrete was required to fill it? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The diameter is 12", double wall. The culvert portion is 50" wide. I wanted it to be just outside the ATV wheels. A bit wider with the hardware on now. I don't recall how many bags I bought. I used a concrete calculator online to figure it out.

10-4 thanks

I should also add that I stuffed some old lumber in it as well as I didn't;t feel I needed that much weight.

Stopped by a supplier this morning and he had a 4' drop laying around so he told me just to go ahead and take it for free... BOOM!!

15" ID, double wall. Thinking of filling it with sand and making some wooden end caps out of 3/4" plywood. I'll start a new build thread once I start to fab it up. Thanks for the post, OP!

3235f47035e7d49295f41a75a0c0ee5c.jpg
e9e76dbaee2a36c417eb5ff1006e1594.jpg

Stopped by a supplier this morning and he had a 4' drop laying around so he told me just to go ahead and take it for free... BOOM!!

15" ID, double wall. Thinking of filling it with sand and making some wooden end caps out of 3/4" plywood. I'll start a new build thread once I start to fab it up. Thanks for the post, OP!

3235f47035e7d49295f41a75a0c0ee5c.jpg
e9e76dbaee2a36c417eb5ff1006e1594.jpg

Good catch on the culvert/packer!

Nothing to loose on a free culvert but sand alone may be to abrasive. You could buy a bag of portland and mix some "lean" concrete just to bind the sand a bit.

Yes, the thought crossed my mind. Will also drop a few 4x4's in there

you can also fill it with Lime, and if or when it fails,
it will just add lime to your plots LOL pulverized lime ain;t that much and packs pretty darn tight!

d2b01bd7bb23ef0fc38c8c2ef564daf5.jpg
5f37f615129901deb907a166acceb42f.jpg

Pre-fabricated end caps and put 4x4's in place. Will center pinch end caps for 2" round bar and fill with sand. If sand isn't heavy enough, will come back with concrete

I wonder how the wood will hold up over time and in the elements. Cool ideas on what to fill it with and being able to remove the sand or whatever would make transporting a whole lot easier. Looking good.
I used mine over the weekend putting in plots. I made 2 passes with it and it did a good job of setting the seed The ground was a little wet so the grooves plugged up some but overall it was a success. Going to try no till with it over seeding the BW and sunflowers come July. I have some reservations about how it will work on dry ground at that time of year but will find out soon enough.

I wonder how the wood will hold up over time and in the elements. Cool ideas on what to fill it with and being able to remove the sand or whatever would make transporting a whole lot easier. Looking good.
I used mine over the weekend putting in plots. I made 2 passes with it and it did a good job of setting the seed The ground was a little wet so the grooves plugged up some but overall it was a success. Going to try no till with it over seeding the BW and sunflowers come July. I have some reservations about how it will work on dry ground at that time of year but will find out soon enough.

I am going to be trying sunflowers for the first time this year. Anybody know how well they do in no till situation?

I've tried sunflowers by disking g up a site(2+ acres) real good and broadcasting them and then using my cultipacker(10 ft double roller) to try and get them to seat and grow, never ONCE even had a single plant grow that way
,. SO repeated again doing the same only disking in the seeds and THEN rolling
and again, NOT a single sunflower plant grew
seems I had a LOT of turkeys and other birds and such, that would come in and clean all the seeds out in a day or so?
so, after that I gave up planting sunflowers?

a few yrs prior to this I tried planting some Whitetail I Powerplant, and had exact same results, ONLY with that due to just 1/2 acre plots, and they would come and dig up most of the bigger seeds on me, so, did the above two steps and then that didn't work, I added a third try, by, bringing in a hole crap load of hay, and covering the whole plot with hay, to TRY and protect the seeds, 2 days later all the hay was scratched to the sides of the plot and or in piles, turkeys again cleaned me out!

SO< HOW well it will work I think depends on how many critters you have that will eat them seeds before they grow on you!

I know it sounds ??
But Man I had a hard time planting many things on the one property due to just SO many critters there,
one of them problems that you wouldn;t think was a bad thing, till you have it!
too many and too few, all bad things at times !

Did you plant buckwheat already?

After installing the wood and feeling how light it is, I think I going to go the quickrete route. Sand just will not weigh it down enough. I used pressure treated 4x4's so I should get a little more life out of them than if I would have used non-treated wood. Best of luck with your plots!

I did plant BW already. I'm sure the soil is no where near warm enough but last weekend was the only time I had available until late June unfortunately. I'll be stopping by on my way home from picking my daughter up from college at LAX. Hoping to see some germination but not expecting much.