Mixing Large Quantities of Seed Together

Not sure what types of seed you are talking about, but I never mix a lot off seeds together. I might mix a few varieties of white clover together or wheat, rye and oats.

But, it you are trying to mix seeds of different sizes together and the broadcast all at the same time I can not and have not ever see/seen that work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I mix similar size seeds together and broadcast. I will mix my grain seeds together and broadcast those together.

I have completed my DIY seed mixer. I will be trying it out next week. If it is successful I will post some pictures.

I mix similar size seeds together and broadcast. I will mix my grain seeds together and broadcast those together.

I have completed my DIY seed mixer. I will be trying it out next week. If it is successful I will post some pictures.
Please do. I am considering making something in this area.

I've seen some really nice vibratory tumblers that may work quite well. Some will mix in a bucket with the vibratory element and a bucket and contents hung from a beam in your shed. I may look into going that route.

But, it you are trying to mix seeds of different sizes together and the broadcast all at the same time I can not and have not ever see/seen that work.
THIS. We tried mixing different-sized seeds to broadcast with spinner-type spreaders, and the small seed dumped out first - too heavily - and the bigger seeds were all that was left at the end of the plot. We don't have a drill - so the easy way of drilling is a no-go for us. We do 2 passes - one smaller seed - the next, bigger grain seed.

Just saw this thread today. Yes - I almost always buy bulk seed and mix it myself....doing it the hard way still. I weigh it out and mix it by hand. Small seed I juggle between 5 gallon pails. Larger seed I mix in pails and then in a large tub. It does take some time and effort but it always works out well.

IMG_5104.JPG

IMG_3015 (1).jpeg

IMG_2081.jpg

IMG_2482.jpgIMG_6182.jpeg

IMG_8313.jpg

IMG_8321.jpg

IMG_8322.jpg

IMG_8850.jpg

IMG_8332.jpg

A mechanical mixer would be great but sometimes less machinery is nice too. My barn is crowded enough already 😄

Mixer works pretty darn good. I face the mouth of the barrel and grab the outer rim and turn it by hand which works out good. It spins surprisingly easy for the amount of seed I had in it. I should have used slightly bigger wheels for the barrel which would have made it spin even easier. I used a different style and size of wheel on the back to keep the barrel from sliding all the way back. That wheel would have been perfect for the bottom 4 wheels.

Thinking about adding a removable crank handle and bolting it to the bottom of the barrel. If I do I would eliminate the two rear wheels under the bottom and run the crank handle through a flange bearing. I don't think I really need to change anything but I'm a tinkerer and love improving what I make even when it really isn't necessary. I used some 2 inch aluminum angle bolted to the inside to help mix the seed. 3 inch would be better or maybe even a 2x4. I might screw a 1x4 to the aluminum angle. I was able to mix about 150lb of clover and chicory seed with no problem.

Mixers at my farm so if anyone needs better or more detailed pictures it might take me a few days to get them to you.

Those 2x6's on the bottom of the barrel base are long because I wasn't sure how long to make the base. I had a 2x6 laying in the barn so I just cut it in half and started building off of that. I left them long in case I had to readjust. I planned on cutting them flush with the base but never got around to it.

Attachments

• IMG_5026.JPG
    IMG_5026.JPG
    537.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5027.JPG
    IMG_5027.JPG
    552.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5028.JPG
    IMG_5028.JPG
    226 KB · Views: 8
Nice job on your mixer bird dog Been considering a similar design....maybe if I locate a 30 gallon drum? Actually picked up a Harbor Freight “furniture dolly” the other day for the rollers Only $11 invested so far It does a nice job rolling a bucket at this point

Nice job birdog - looks great!

Looks nice! How do you get the seed out of the barrel?

Nice job on your mixer bird dog Been considering a similar design....maybe if I locate a 30 gallon drum? Actually picked up a Harbor Freight “furniture dolly” the other day for the rollers Only $11 invested so far It does a nice job rolling a bucket at this point
My barrel is 55 gallon. I looked for a 30 gallon drum initially thinking 55 would be too big. I had a 55 already and when I could not find a 35 I went with what I had. Glad I didn't find a 35 because the 55 is perfect, at least for me. If you're mixing less than 100lb of seed you might be okay. I think the problem is even if you mix a smaller amount of seed you will run out of barrel to keep the seed inside. The angle of the barrel is a bit of an obstacle and dictates the amount of seed you can put in and mix with out the seed falling out of the barrel. If you increase the angle then you compromise the mixing ability of the barrel.

You could always build for a 55 gallon barrel and just move your wheels in a little further for the 30. If it doesn't work then unscrew your wheel supports and move them out for the 55.

I am not sure who you get your seed from, but I use to just have the seed company mix the seeds. Now it would have to be of alike seed size or weight, or they will separate again, but if you havent asked, most seed places should do it for free if you buy their seed.

Same as fertilizer, you can get special blend fertilizer mixed up as well.

I am not sure who you get your seed from, but I use to just have the seed company mix the seeds. Now it would have to be of alike seed size or weight, or they will separate again, but if you havent asked, most seed places should do it for free if you buy their seed.

Same as fertilizer, you can get special blend fertilizer mixed up as well.
I don't get all of my seed at the same place. Some I get locally and some I order. That's why I needed a mixer.