Did I kill my seed?

tbarile

5 year old buck +
I was planting a combo of clover and winter rye via throw and roll method. I was planning on spraying straight round up when I saw there was a lot of poison ivy growing in the trail. In order to kill the ivy I added 24D to the mix and spray everything after the seed was thrown. I didn’t even think to read up on 24d before doing that. Will my seed still germinate? Thanks

I doubt you killed everything but it is possible you will have some damage depending on the formulation you used. There are clear restrictions for planting soybeans and corn after using 24D Ester or Amine and they are different for each. I planted buckwheat after using 24D amine this spring and could find no information for the effects on buckwheat and I doubt you will find documentation on the effects on clover. Here is a link to an short high-level article discussing beans and corn: https://crops.extension.iastate.edu...ting-restrictions-following-24-d-applications

Buckwheat has a very wide planting window in my area which is why I selected it as a smother crop following 24D control of Marestail. I waited about 3 weeks to be on the safe side. So, the residual soil effect of 24D does have the potential to damage follow-on crops if planted too soon, beyond soybeans and corn, I don't know how severe the impact is.
I'm hoping your reason for killing the poison ivy is so that you don't get infected when using the trail. It is a great native deer food!

Thanks,

Jack

I’m very allergic to poison ivy so I want it off any trails that I use it my deer heavily use in hopes of reducing the likelihood of getting it.

I’m very allergic to poison ivy so I want it off any trails that I use it my deer heavily use in hopes of reducing the likelihood of getting it.

Don't blame you one bit. My wife is highly allergic to it and just finished a month of prednisone. Wicked side effects and she has lots of skin scarring from the ivy.

I think 2-4,d is soil active for about 30 days according to the label. The clover seed may well be toast. Nothing to be done now, but wait and see. Sowing more clover now would be throwing good money after bad at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2.4-D does have some residual effect on the surface, as to other herbicides. Some shallow tillage will improve germination of surface broadcast seed, as would time and alot of rain to break down herbicide residues.