All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Miscanthus Giaganteus propagation from cuttings.

I'm calling this experiment a failure.

On 6/13 I bent over and buried 2 stalks still attached to the mother plant.
B2FB3942-61B9-490D-A859-F2A120B4545E-1135-0000024F32A118B8_zps8271ce07.jpg

Today 7 weeks later I dug them up and nothing new is growing along the stalk.

07F44044-2188-45CB-AA1C-5A563E8273BF-2829-0000030410F10B34_zps473d64c0.jpg

Figured since I had a hole opened up I'd try some severed stalks. Maybe they have to be separated from the mother plant. We shall see.

124A8985-25E0-4991-A901-F0BEE67B6C8F-2829-00000304052F4819_zps5063f924.jpg

The rhizomes I planted in a prepped field in full sun with no real weeds to compete with look great. 40 Inches tall. The rest look poor to 'where are they?'

The rhizomes I planted in a prepped field in full sun with no real weeds to compete with look great. 40 Inches tall. The rest look poor to 'where are they?'

I have a bunch of "where are they's" also. made a mistake planting them next to last years sorghum. I've got volunteer sorghum coming up and when both species are young their hard to tell apart. I'm hoping they make it this year and the sorghum doesn't come back next year.

I started finding mine this weekend. Only single stalks, but better than 2 weeks ago when there were none.

Most have shade to contend with and some have outright competition. Time will tell how well they do.

I almost have a Rootmaker tray full of cuttings and the 1" cuttings are starting to show some promise. I'm going to plant these one in my yard here in awhile

the 1" cuttings are starting to show some promise.

I'm really curious to see how these work out for you. I still haven't done it. Figured you have it covered.

Here's a pic of what all the ones I've found look like:
IMAG1168.jpg

The hairy stalks and white line on the blades make it impossible to mistake for anything else.

If they can survive our winters, these will be a lot of fun. :)

Curious what kind of growth you get from each of the quarters in the first year? I'd like to see pics of that.

In a few years this group will have plenty to quarter up.

Bill:
Attached are photos of 11 Miscanthus plants that I planted as clumps in 2011 and 5 Mis. Var. that I planted 2 years ago. The 11 contain 3 Gracillimus and 8 of a cultivar that a neighbor was going to remove (it was one 3' X 3' plant that I subdivided into 5 clumps - don't actually know what that of ornamental grass it is - other than Miscanthus - had to hack the mature plant into pieces with a hand axe and a crowbar / not kidding). The Miscanthus Variegatus is a very attractive plant that doesn't grow as tall as Gigantus (but it is plenty tall enough for a deer screen). The 11 plants in the first photo provide an adequate screen for almost 90' or 30 yards; I am convinced the key is good mulch and lots of water...they love water on a regular basis. The last photo shows the first 8 of the 11 including 3 Gracillimus and and 5 of the big ones. The date is 2012; one year after they were planted as clumps. Hope you enjoy.

P.S. As you can see, I planted them pretty far apart and they filled in rather nicely

Attachments

• 2014_11 looking east_opt.jpg
    2014_11 looking east_opt.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 2014 Mis_ 2 plants direct view_opt.jpg
    2014 Mis_ 2 plants direct view_opt.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 2014 5 Misc Var_opt-1.jpg
    2014 5 Misc Var_opt-1.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Miscanthus 8 - 5 planted in Fall 2012.jpg
    Miscanthus 8 - 5 planted in Fall 2012.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Oak seeds,
That's impressive first year growth from a quarter adult. I've never done qtrs, but I will be now, I've only made little rhizomes from a mother plant.

I hear you on separating them. The best way I've found is a 12 inch saws all blade from Home Depot. Makes fast work of them. Cut before you dig.

Jim,
I had to search for mine also. All the weed prep I did and our perfect weather for crops this year was also perfect weather for weeds.

Before
88DF2063-88D3-42C2-8176-EF3CBE6D21F4-450-00000099154E2F19_zpse618480a.jpg

After hand weeding 750 feet. This is a pic of one row, I hand weeded 2 rows before I was done. That job $ucked.....

54F3211F-5FDD-4C93-90D9-E9328FC53D1D-450-00000099A04AD7F1_zps5c196313.jpg

Mine are quite obvious in some areas, and possibly didn't take in others. The ones I've found all look very healthy, but there's a lot of ground I haven't covered yet looking for the rest of them. Once the grasses die off and fall over later in the year, it should be easier to see what came of the MG. The ones I've found are in mixed shade locations, so that's really promising as far as success or failure of the experiment.

I didn't do any weed prep, site prep, or mark out where I planted. It was raining on me the whole time, and my neck was killing me (more than usual). That I have 13 confirmed survivors is a blessing IMO. I'm sure there's more out there. It's going to take a few years to achieve what I want from the stuff, so I'm not caught up in tracking it's progress too closely.

These cuttings have taken off the last week.

They look good Scott.

Here is the problem with partial shade. They eventually fall over. Usually doesn't happen until Sept but everything is early this year.

Even my Joe pye weed is blooming which doesn't usually happen until early sept.

94C8E720-A99A-4062-B87C-104388113ED7-1527-000001D7597C0250_zps74ae7bdc.jpg

They look good Scott.

Here is the problem with partial shade. They eventually fall over. Usually doesn't happen until Sept but everything is early this year.

Thanks Bill! I wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't for your help. I am prepping a spot in the yard for these cuttings so hopefully they'll get planted in their permanent home soon.

Last edited:
Finished getting the cuttings planted today.

Before

It was a little tough digging them out of the Rootmakers but they all seemed to have a nice root system.

After, I mulched it with some grass hay.

I think you could skip the Rootmakers and direct plant after the roots have started to show.

Last edited:
Fescue hits 7+ feet where I want them to remain upright. If they fall over back in the woods, it won't bother me in the slightest. It's an experiment on many fronts. You never know if you don't try it. :)

They look good Scott.

Bill / Jim:
There is a way to deal with the "flop" (miscanthus that falls over) if you have a partial shade area where you want to use it as a screen. It's the same principle as the tomato cages you buy/make to keep your tomatoes off the ground (I use 6' concrete reinforcing wire for tomato cages...but I digress). Miscanthus usually falls over (flops) at 2 ft or less (height where stalk falls over); I use a 2-3 ft dia. ring/square made of wire or 1/2 inch PVC (e.g., #9 wire) with 3/4 legs (spaced equal distance from each other). With minimal support, the flop problem is eliminated.

Fescue hits 7+ feet where I want them to remain upright. If they fall over back in the woods, it won't bother me in the slightest. It's an experiment on many fronts. You never know if you don't try it. :)

Bill I see some nodes on my stalks, but not all of them. Just to confirm, they all have nodes, and the cuttings will survive even without a visible node?
Mine look great, The tallest plants I have are 7'. It's amazing how there is a clump out of just that little rhizome I planted this spring.

Bill I see some nodes on my stalks, but not all of them. Just to confirm, they all have nodes, and the cuttings will survive even without a visible node?
Mine look great, The tallest plants I have are 7'. It's amazing how there is a clump out of just that little rhizome I planted this spring.

Yes all the first nodes should grow just keep them good and wet. The ones with a visible bump will sprout faster since they already started.

Last edited:
Scott,
How did the 1 inch cuttings make out. I never did try that.

And Oakseeds,
Thanks I'll try the rings next summer. Just haven't had time to mess with it this year.

I'm not sure if there is a difference in the nodes, I mean how far along they are when the cuttings are taken but the 1" seemed to take forever to show. I planted them last week just because I was running out of time for them to get any type of roots. Here's some pics

I had these in a mason jar of water until this pic.

I planted them maybe a 1" with the node sticking out

Then put hay mulch over them, these are the stalks I planted some are doing well and some didn't make it.

This has been a learning experimant Thanks Bill!