Miscanthus Giaganteus propagation from cuttings.

Checked these again today, more new growth on those that I thought may have winter killed. I'd call this stuff winter hardy to zone 4a...with snow cover anyway
Good to here Stu but does it like water? lol I see you guys are getting hammered with the rain again.

A new little experiment.

I know they grow in the fall, so I'm testing mid summer and other than the first node.

1 - 2 is first node in the water 2nd out.
3 - 4 is 3rd node in the water 4 th out.
5 - 6. You get the drift.

The unmarked ones have no nodes they were just left over pieces.
Also I noticed the first nodes were already getting the little bump they just haven't broken.

Lets see what happens.

Notice the donors in the background are already breaking 10 feet in height.

BFB88D53-0E22-4815-BEF3-93EB2F600C81-331-000000A294EC2069_zps178e2e83.jpg

A new little experiment.

I know they grow in the fall, so I'm testing mid summer and other than the first node.

1 - 2 is first node in the water 2nd out.
3 - 4 is 3rd node in the water 4 th out.
5 - 6. You get the drift.

The unmarked ones have no nodes they were just left over pieces.
Also I noticed the first nodes were already getting the little bump they just haven't broken.

Lets see what happens.

Notice the donors in the background are already breaking 10 feet in height.
/QUOTE]

Thanks for trying these little experiments Bill! I've learned alot from you already, mine is between 3-4' now but nothing like your 10'

Last edited:
Not sure how tall they can actually get but I should be close this year.

I also doubt this experiment is going to pan out but I figured what the heck.

I want so badly to dig up the ones I laid over a couple of weeks ago to see if anything is going on down there. But not yet, I want to give it more time.
D1E4A5AC-A4F6-43D7-ABBC-C9FA75372247-1135-0000024F4B8FFDE0_zpseb83d3fa.jpg

Node 1 broke a new rhizome today...

I actually didn't think it would work this early.

3 and 5 are still holdouts but I'll give them more time.

95B0DB94-52DC-4634-8792-6D5081C8C400-1224-000001DEA542458F_zpsc4afce4a.jpg

You guys generally using this stuff for screening? How does it tolerate shade or breif flooding? I looked into this stuff at one point, but info was somewhat weak. I am using switchgrass now - but I have some places where - due to elevation changes - even that may not be tall enough.

Stu,
It's true with a few plants you could expand pretty quickly on your own. I like messing with it but if turns out like tree cutting I've found I'm too lazy to do it myself and just buy them from John.

You guys generally using this stuff for screening? How does it tolerate shade or breif flooding? I looked into this stuff at one point, but info was somewhat weak. I am using switchgrass now - but I have some places where - due to elevation changes - even that may not be tall enough.

For now just screens but I can see this stuff directing deer traffic or hiding ground blinds. and I'd love about 5 acres of it sparsely planted for bedding.

It will tolerate some water but from what I read not long term standing. I planted some this spring in an area that stays wet in a wet year. We'll see cause this is a wet year.

Also just read that partial shade will make it reach for the sun and fall over. This may be what is happening at my house. I was blaming fertilizer but the ones I have in partial shade do fall over.

Again it's a we'll see. They got a great start this spring and seem to have decent diameter on the stalks.

I'd take this over switch any day and I have acres of switch. The caution is, not many are playing with it for deer so it's not proven.

"But was really is?"

Bill - thanks for the info. Based on what is discussed in the thread I was thinking along the same line of using it to hide blinds and or stand access routes or to screen from a road where elevation changes require a greater height. That was why I asked about the prefered growing conditions. Also sounds like a person can start out small and then as the plant matures expand as needed or desire allows.

I have a neighbor that tends to "forget" where the line is and the area has occasional flooding in the spring time (only a day or so at a time). I was considering using it to keep his nosey butt out of my business. It may keep things away from his prying eyes (and scoped gun) while he is on his side but I figure he will just come that much further across the line to see what I am hiding from him!

We saw him last year using bino's to see if we was hunting in our box blind. I gave him the one finger salute! That got a rise out of him! If it wasn't so cold I woud have mooned him!

What kills me is that he tresspasses on another neighbors property to "spy" on me. I need to put up a sign for him "Nosey bastard aren't you"!

I may still give some a try at some point and see what comes of it.

At least he wasn't using his scope to check out your blind.

Looks good Bill, thanks for sharing all your trials!

I have a neighbor that tends to "forget" where the line is and the area has occasional flooding in the spring time (only a day or so at a time). I was considering using it to keep his nosey butt out of my business. It may keep things away from his prying eyes (and scoped gun) while he is on his side but I figure he will just come that much further across the line to see what I am hiding from him!

We saw him last year using bino's to see if we was hunting in our box blind. I gave him the one finger salute! That got a rise out of him! If it wasn't so cold I woud have mooned him!

What kills me is that he tresspasses on another neighbors property to "spy" on me. I need to put up a sign for him "Nosey bastard aren't you"!

I may still give some a try at some point and see what comes of it.

Need to put a permanent dummy in your box blind. At least a head on a stick.

Looks good Bill, thanks for sharing all your trials!
No problem. I'm hoping the bent over stalk produces. Then we'll have something.

Brief flooding won't harm it, but an extended (couple weeks I'd guess) period of flooding will likely kill it.

Yet it's growing in jars of water?

I planted it along the edge of my swamp as a wishful thinking experiment. Lots of soggy ground and this year it's extra wet. We'll see what they think of true muck. :)

I know I'm late to this discussion. Have read a few clips from time to time. My Question: Is this hardy to zone 3?? Jim....you and I gotta be at the northern limit....no?

When I was in Costa Rica.....I saw many, many fences that were created by cuttings. The woody stalks were able to keep cattle separated. They had a stick every inch.....almost a solid wooden wall around many fields.

Bill - The permanent dummy lives next door - at times I would like to put his head on a stick! Sounds like I may still have a sot or two where this stuff could help me out - I may have to look into it. At times it seems like the last thing I need is another project.

Bill, I took some cuttings and I am trying your method.

J-bird,
We all need new projects. Not, if I never got another project I'd never finish the ones I've started.

Scott
I'd say in 2 to 3 weeks you'll be potting those.
Theses are ready for some wet soil. Rhizomes and roots. So far it's only out of the 1st node. Still waiting on the others. They don't look dead but their not growing any thing new.

Also based on this I'm not waiting til the end of August to take cuttings. Going to start now and give them more growing time before they go dormant.

1E72AEAA-6588-4393-82E2-2DF1979B7AE8-2145-0000030C55918998_zps70e67de7.jpg

Last edited:
J-bird,
We all need new projects. Not, if I never got another project I'd never finish the ones I've started.

Scott
I'd say in 2 to 3 weeks you'll be potting those.
Theses are ready for some wet soil. Rhizomes and roots. So far it's only out of the 1st node. Still waiting on the others. They don't look dead but their not growing any thing new.

Also based on this I'm not waiting til the end of August to take cuttings. Going to start now and give them more growing time before they go dormant.

Thanks Bill! That was going to be my next question

That's cool as heck. Bill were those just regular stalk cutting's? How long did it take to get that kind of root and node?