Miscanthus Giaganteus propagation from cuttings.

Glad to hear everything went well, looks like a great plan!

Can't wait to see it. But you'll have to show us what you get this year yet.
With our weeds, it may be tough to get a pic that shows them this year even with Atrazine. I'll sure try though.

Jim,
I have one of those tools, its my least favorite in the world.
By year 3 your diameter should be 24 to 30 inches with lots of shoots. Each year the corumfrance gets bigger as new shoots grow out from the root system.

Thanks Scott, we got lucky this time.

I was seeing 14" diameter as a year three result.

How do you prevent the center die off people are talking about?

Educate me, please, gentlemen. Let's say I want to plant a screen along a road. To best accomplish this, how far apart do I plant the rhizomes and what kind of spacing between rows? is 18-24" between rhizomes, 2 offset 4' rows best?
how deep should they be planted?
what level of weed control should/must be done?
any fertilizer considerations?
about how much growth in the north in 1 year, 2 years, 3 years (in other words, how long before the screen starts doing some good and how long before it is set)?
how many years does it last?
is there any maintenance to be done?
is it an effective screen all winter?

I know that's a lot of ?s, and I could most likely find answers on the web site for the place in MI that sells them, but I'd rather get you guys' real world experience.

Educate me, please, gentlemen. Let's say I want to plant a screen along a road. To best accomplish this, how far apart do I plant the rhizomes and what kind of spacing between rows? is 18-24" between rhizomes, 2 offset 4' rows best? I planted mine in 2 rows 3' squares offset
how deep should they be planted? 4-5" deep on planting
what level of weed control should/must be done? I sprayed gly before planting and I'm going to spray 2-4D here in alittle bit to control the braodleaf weeds.
about how much growth in the north in 1 year, 2 years, 3 years (in other words, how long before the screen starts doing some good and how long before it is set)? I live in zone 5b so I'm not sure on anything north but I planted mine last year and it was 3-4', last year it was sparse but already this year it looks more filled in but my game plan was 3yrs for a screen.
is it an effective screen all winter? I've seen some that stood all winter but it gets sparse looking when the leaves fall and all you have is stalks but I believe if you have 3'-4' of stalks it should screen ok.

I know that's a lot of ?s, and I could most likely find answers on the web site for the place in MI that sells them, but I'd rather get you guys' real world experience.
I hope this helps Steve.

Educate me, please, gentlemen. Let's say I want to plant a screen along a road. To best accomplish this, how far apart do I plant the rhizomes and what kind of spacing between rows? is 18-24" between rhizomes, 2 offset 4' rows best?

First no expert, but I'm learning and glad to share. I have plants in N Central MO on the Iowa border that made 30 to 36 inch diameter in year 3. So 3 foot spacing should work fine if your willing to wait. Single row would also work. I only did two rows because I ordered wrong and wasn't wasting them.

If you did two rows on 24 inch centers I don't think you would have a faster screen so much as a really thick screen when it matures.

I planted 4 to 5 feet between rows but now think I should have planted further apart so I could mow between rows during establishment.

how deep should they be planted?
Stu got that one 3 to 4 is fine.

what level of weed control should/must be done?

Miscanthus is Atrazine resistant so pre plant I spray Gly and Atrazine. I just hit my last years cuttings with 2-4-DB and atrazine 3 oz per gallon out of a pump sprayer post emergent and they are doing fine. I would imagine straight 2-4D is fine but I had Butyrac on hand.

I have read about guys fertilizing but I don't. I have some at my house that I fertilized one year and they grew tall and thin then fell over in Sept. may not have been the fertilizer but that's what I blamed.

about how much growth in the north in 1 year, 2 years, 3 years (in other words, how long before the screen starts doing some good and how long before it is set)?

Think of it like warm season grass year 1 is sparse, 2 is better, 3 is when it shines. Growing conditions considered.

The biofuel guys say 20 years

It should be mowed early spring. Mow it to the ground or burn it. This might be something to try if your getting center die off. This is the first year I've noticed center die off in MO. At home I burn it and haven't noticed that yet on 5 year old plants. Not saying it will work but its worth some more experimentation.

is it an effective screen all winter?

Not much after mid to late January. When the blades fall off all that is left is 1/4 to 1/2 inch bamboo like shoots. 2 rows of those might make a good screen till mowing.

Here is what it looks like at the end of Feb. Notice the small guys planted to the left of this mature plant. They were spring transplanted cuttings. Also notice the Sudan Sorghum planted behind the fence that is flat as a pancake.
C27B7D7D-83BB-40D6-865E-D27DE863F02A-409-0000004345019FB3_zpse20c6cd9.jpg

Stu, Scott, Bill....You guys are freaking awesome. Thanks a ton!

I just realized the click to expand thing existed. Heck Stu and Scott had it answered.

I'm no expert just sharing what I have done, sounds like we all have done close to the same.
I'm looking forward to trying some cuttings this fall.

I just realized the click to expand thing existed. Heck Stu and Scott had it answered.

Yeah, but I'm glad you did. As Scott mentions right below you, when 3 people are all telling you essentially the same thing and are having success doing it that way, it sure gives you warm fuzzies that doing what they're all doing is a good move.

Checked rhizomes that have been in the ground since spring of '12....right now I'm guessing some experienced winter kill :( At least a few new sprouts, so not a total loss but unless they kick it into high gear, I definitely lost some.
Stu if you don't have enough to do cuttings I'm sure I could spare a few, not sure how many you planted but get ahold of me in Aug, if needed.

Here is mine at age 4. Planted 4 feet apart one row. No fertilizer or water. All I do is burn it off late March or early April. Don't have any die off in the middle.

picture.php

Center die off is a problem in 10+ year old stands. The issue doesn't concern us too much, but those trying to maximize yields for commercial crops have a big problem with 20% reduction in growth capacity.

Stu,
I wouldn't give up on them yet. I'll post some pics tomorrow. I think longitude and latitude have a lot to do with when they wake up.

Took pics yesterday in MO and they are maybe 2 feet and just starting. Got home to NJ today and they are 5 feet tall and thick. Last week NJ plants were 2 feet tall. Planted the same year.

By the end if the summer they all seem equal.

Double checked the burned plants in NJ and no center death. MO cut plants have center die off.

Not sure burning is the cure but I plan to experiment in MO.

Biofuel guys don't burn they harvest so there is no study on it.

Why do either? Can't you just let the plant do it's own thing?

Why do either? Can't you just let the plant do it's own thing?
Actually you might be right. Center die off should not make much of a difference for screening. Experimenting is just in my nature.

Stu, give them a few weeks they may still be sleeping.

These are in MO. About 2 feet tall as of 6/2
3A78B4F9-1961-438A-BA35-3A4D327AEAC6-184-0000001937B8A02B_zps243e782f.jpg

This is in NJ as of 6/3 five feet tall. Both plants were put in the same year. NJ just had an early warm up
A52379C5-6483-4EEF-BFDB-45FB12FB215E-184-0000001901A6AD39_zps6f6b94a7.jpg

I know I'm really late to the party, but if anyone has any extras now or in the fall I'll happily pay you for them!

Thanks,

Tom

I know I'm really late to the party, but if anyone has any extras now or in the fall I'll happily pay you for them!

Thanks,

Tom

Man I wish you posted this last week. I was searching for places to plant my last 50 rhizomes. I'll see how many cuttings I manage to take this fall.

Man I wish you posted this last week. I was searching for places to plant my last 50 rhizomes. I'll see how many cuttings I manage to take this fall.

Thanks Bill.....much appreciated.

I'll be checking mine that were planted last year in the U.P. this weekend. I am hoping that they survived because I planted another 100 rhizomes earlier this spring. I am confident that if they survived the past winter they should survive them all, but school is still out on the issue.