Miscanthus Giaganteus propagation from cuttings.

That's cool as heck. Bill were those just regular stalk cutting's? How long did it take to get that kind of root and node?

I cut them and put them in water on 6/26 the above pic is from this morning on 7/8.

Yes regular stalks but these are specifically the first node off the ground that are in the water. I have other higher nodes in water but none have broken.

I don't even know if I'm using the right terminology. By node I'm talking about the rings that appear as the stalks grow. The ring/node closest to the ground is where the new rhizome comes from. The second ring/node up should be left on the cutting also, above water/soil. "I think". Cause that's where I always get a new leaf.

Found this online:

Abstract
The sterile triploid Miscanthus × giganteus is capable of yielding more biomass per unit land area than most other temperate crops. Although the yield potential ofM. × giganteus is high, sterility requires all propagation of the plant to be done vegetatively. The traditional rhizome propagation system achieves relatively low multiplication rates, i.e. the number of new plants generated from a single-parent plant, and requires tillage that leaves soil vulnerable to CO2 and erosion losses. A stem-based propagation system is used in related crops like sugarcane, and may prove a viable alternative, but the environmental conditions required for shoot initiation from stems of M. × giganteus are unknown. A study was conducted to investigate the effect of temperature, illumination and node position on emergence ofM. × giganteus shoots. Stems of M. × giganteus were cut into segments with a single node each, placed in controlled environments under varied soil temperature or light regimes and the number of emerged shoots were evaluated daily for 21 days. At temperatures of 20 and 25 °C, rhizomes produced significantly more shoots than did stem segments (P = 0.0105 and 0.0594, respectively), but the difference was not significant at 30 °C, where 63% of stems produced shoots compared to 80% of rhizomes (P = 0.2037). There was a strong positive effect (P = 0.0086) of soil temperature on emergence in the range of temperatures studied here (15–30 °C). Node positions higher on the stem were less likely to emerge (P < 0.0001) with a significant interaction between illumination and node position. Planting the lowest five nodes from stems of M. × giganteus in 30 °C soil in the light resulted in 75% emergence, which represents a potential multiplication rate 10–12 times greater than that of the current rhizome-based system.

Found this online:

Abstract
The sterile triploid Miscanthus × giganteus is capable of yielding more biomass per unit land area than most other temperate crops. Although the yield potential ofM. × giganteus is high, sterility requires all propagation of the plant to be done vegetatively. The traditional rhizome propagation system achieves relatively low multiplication rates, i.e. the number of new plants generated from a single-parent plant, and requires tillage that leaves soil vulnerable to CO2 and erosion losses. A stem-based propagation system is used in related crops like sugarcane, and may prove a viable alternative, but the environmental conditions required for shoot initiation from stems of M. × giganteus are unknown. A study was conducted to investigate the effect of temperature, illumination and node position on emergence ofM. × giganteus shoots. Stems of M. × giganteus were cut into segments with a single node each, placed in controlled environments under varied soil temperature or light regimes and the number of emerged shoots were evaluated daily for 21 days. At temperatures of 20 and 25 °C, rhizomes produced significantly more shoots than did stem segments (P = 0.0105 and 0.0594, respectively), but the difference was not significant at 30 °C, where 63% of stems produced shoots compared to 80% of rhizomes (P = 0.2037). There was a strong positive effect (P = 0.0086) of soil temperature on emergence in the range of temperatures studied here (15–30 °C). Node positions higher on the stem were less likely to emerge (P < 0.0001) with a significant interaction between illumination and node position. Planting the lowest five nodes from stems of M. × giganteus in 30 °C soil in the light resulted in 75% emergence, which represents a potential multiplication rate 10–12 times greater than that of the current rhizome-based system.
That's good info. Based on this, my assumption that 2 nodes per cutting are needed is invalid. Interesting that they say the best growth is from the first 5 nodes. I haven't gotten growth anywhere but number 1, though my experiments are limited.
Based on this I'm going to try something new. Single nodes, short stem.

I have what looks like little roots but no nodes yet, this is the 6th day.

Scott
Those should be fine. Give them a few weeks and pot them and keep them damp.

The rhizome on mine in the jars actually turned into the new shoot.

Also getting growth finally from node 3 and 5. They took a long time.

Node 1 from the 26 th of June
7AB4B6C7-DCF8-446F-8C04-D746C49FD000-2680-000003BEDC1E350C_zps8467d369.jpg

Node 3 from 6/26
9C3D7691-1966-444C-85E7-ED190EEA856D-2680-000003BEFF11F213_zps63272c4a.jpg

Node 5 from 6/26
1AB4F7FA-286E-4DE1-84AC-4A40265A5174-2680-000003BF31A7F298_zpsa57fd559.jpg

I haven't done it yet but I'm going to cut single nodes with about an inch of stalk on each side and drop them in water.

Thanks Bill!

Scott

Node 3 from 6/26

Node 5 from 6/26

I haven't done it yet but I'm going to cut single nodes with about an inch of stalk on each side and drop them in water.

I went back yeaterday and grabbed some more stalks, actually got some with the nodes this time. Also trying what I think Bill was talking about with the 1" stalks.

These were all first node up

When cutting these stalks you'll want a good sharp pair of shears or knife, I was amazed how tough these stalks are. Thanks for showing this Bill you have my brain thinking now!

Scott

Node 3 from 6/26

Node 5 from 6/26

Glad your tests went well, that will definitely help with propagation. I didn't get any rhizomes this year but your testing will help me expand my screens faster when I do get some.

I went back yeaterday and grabbed some more stalks, actually got some with the nodes this time. Also trying what I think Bill was talking about with the 1" stalks.

These were all first node up

When cutting these stalks you'll want a good sharp pair of shears or knife, I was amazed how tough these stalks are. Thanks for showing this Bill you have my brain thinking now!

That is exactly what I planned to try. At the farm now and didn't get it done before leaving home. I'll cut some when I get home.

Glad your tests went well, that will definitely help with propagation. I didn't get any rhizomes this year but your testing will help me expand my screens faster when I do get some.

PM me your address. When I get home I'll cut some cuttings and put them in a plastic bag with wet paper towels.
Lets see if they can take a trip and live.

I have to get some for Dgallow too.

Planted 4 of my cuttings today, also have some that will be ready soon.

Looks good Scott. I'm sure you figured it out it in that last pic the growth at the top is a new grass stalk. You can plant so that is above the dirt.

I planted 4 nodes in potting mix yesterday, I'll keep u posted. Just the 2 inch node segment fyi

Looks good Scott. I'm sure you figured it out it in that last pic the growth at the top is a new grass stalk. You can plant so that is above the dirt.
Thanks Bill!

I planted 4 nodes in potting mix yesterday, I'll keep u posted. Just the 2 inch node segment fyi

Keep us posted. I like the water cause I can see what's up.

Hi Folks...... just registered/have been lurking for a while
Started growing Miscanthus 5 years ago; have tried several cultivars including Gracillimus, Zebra, Varigatus, Porcupine and - of course - the tall stuff. I like the beauty of several of the different cultivars that grow in excess of 6 feet. Many are not very robust and will flop if not in direct sun for most of the day; however, a small metal ring about 2.5 feet above ground (on 3 legs) handles the flop problem. While I am very interested in the stem cutting method of propagation, I have found clump division of mature plants to work incredibly well. A mature plant will divide easily into 4 clumps with strong, established root structure that accelerates growth of the new plant. I'll try to take some photos of my screens and post them in a couple of days.

Started growing Miscanthus 5 years ago; have tried several cultivars including Gracillimus, Zebra, Varigatus, Porcupine and - of course - the tall stuff. I like the beauty of several of the different cultivars that grow in excess of 6 feet. Many are not very robust and will flop if not in direct sun for most of the day; however, a small metal ring about 2.5 feet above ground (on 3 legs) handles the flop problem. While I am very interested in the stem cutting method of propagation, I have found clump division of mature plants to work incredibly well. A mature plant will divide easily into 4 clumps with strong, established root structure that accelerates growth of the new plant. I'll try to take some photos of my screens and post them in a couple of days.

Welcome oakseeds! Any info you have is much appreciated.

Hs...... just registered/have been lurking for a while
Welcome Oakseeds! Great place here to learn. Looking forward to your pics.

Curious what kind of growth you get from each of the quarters in the first year? I'd like to see pics of that.

In a few years this group will have plenty to quarter up.

Next spring I'll keep a photo diary of a clump division experiment. One other thing worth mentioning ... mulching (to reduce competition and assist H20 retention) is extremely valuable in developing hearty, robust clumps. I let grass (like orchard or fescue) invade a big clump of Gracillimus this spring and it looks terrible relative to last year). I have the "before" pictures showing its beauty the past couple of years when I controlled competition; will take some photos of its sorry state at this time. Next spring I'll kill the invasive grass before the Miscanthus begins to grow. Most of my plants are on 4-foot centers and I have gotten a great screen with a relatively small number of plants.