Minnesota DNR squirrel harvest mortality study

I haven't seen a fisher in probably 10 years but I wonder if grey fox would have an impact. More and more the last few years.

We have a fisher, and we still have plenty of tree rats. I've visually spotted it a couple times (once was about 2 weeks ago), and have several sightings on camera.

Yotes moved back into the area, the red fox are not as prevalent again, and our mouse population is back on the rise. :( I'll be out for yotes in a couple weeks once my neck recovers from the left side ablation on Monday.

Had a fisher on my game camera a few weeks ago.
whatizit-43.JPG

I've got the solution. We will move one area manager from central Minnesota so he can focus on squirrels . Sounds like a double win to me.

Thanks for the good laugh guys. Still can't believe they did this. I too would mount one of those squirrels with a radio collar!

rat traps work great too. Why anyone would study squirrels deaths is beyond me. Squirrels and rabbits in my neighborhood feel the wrath of Mr. Beeman at .22 jump street. They literally cartwheel when he pulls up at his house.

'Squirrels have been hunted in Minnesota for more than a century with no known detriment to the population, but Hmong hunters note that some use a different tactic than their non-Hmong counterparts: a blade of lemongrass to call in female squirrels.'

How in the hell did Hmong hunter conservationists get the DNR to spend $40K on collaring squirrels and we can't get MDHA to do anything about the decline of our deer herd?

I guess it takes $40k to learn that if you shoot every squirrel you see the population will decrease.

When I turned 12 and got a .22 for Christmas there was a massive decrease in the squirrel population behind my parent's house. It's amazing that the population crash there recovered without the assistance of a DNR study.

What's also irritating that the DNR blows money on studies and even when a valid study points to the cause of the population drop they do nothing. The moose study in NE MN has showed that wolves eat most of the calves and a lot of the adults, but the DNR seems to be willing to let that happen. So why even bother with a study if nothing will be done one way or the other? Most people would be fired from their jobs if they showed that kind of incompetence.

They shoot everything that moves and they want to know what happened to the squirrels?

If be embarrassed to admit it cost $40,000 to figure out what's killing the squirrels in the metro area??:rolleyes:

Shoot the radio collar squirrels and strap them to any semi-truck with Texas plates. Maybe some Genius at MNDNR will discover a new squirrel migration pattern.

rat traps work great too. Why anyone would study squirrels deaths is beyond me. Squirrels and rabbits in my neighborhood feel the wrath of Mr. Beeman at .22 jump street. They literally cartwheel when he pulls up at his house.
They're fidgeting with a squeaky door while the house is burning. Meanwhile, Mille Lacs walleye are being decimated, deer decimated, invasive species marching ahead, and buying more land they can't manage. They should be giving the squirrel studiers a citation book and get them in the bushes at some boat landings and get serious about pulling plugs and cleaning off trailers before the whole state is covered in zebra mussels, spiny water flea, milfoil etc. If they attacked invasive species violations like they did drinking and driving, they'd have everyone terrified to leave the landing with weeds hanging from their runners.

They're fidgeting with a squeaky door while the house is burning. Meanwhile, Mille Lacs walleye are being decimated, deer decimated, invasive species marching ahead, and buying more land they can't manage. They should be giving the squirrel studiers a citation book and get them in the bushes at some boat landings and get serious about pulling plugs and cleaning off trailers before the whole state is covered in zebra mussels, spiny water flea, milfoil etc. If they attacked invasive species violations like they did drinking and driving, they'd have everyone terrified to leave the landing with weeds hanging from their runners.
Man.....the weed police are tough in the Brainerd lakes area. Keeping an eye on that issue here....but I'm afraid it's like closing the barn door after the cows are out. Invasives are here despite all the efforts. I don't think anthing will stop the zebes. I set most worried about the Asian carp....that could be rough.

All I can say is this is just plain fricking NUTS

All I can say is this is just plain fricking NUTS
squirrels...nuts....LOL

squirrels...nuts....LOL
Here some fury nuts. Shot with a wrist rocket @ 34 yards.

Shoot the radio collar squirrels and strap them to any semi-truck with Texas plates. Maybe some Genius at MNDNR will discover a new squirrel migration pattern.

Then I wouldn't get to keep my trophy. :eek: :D

Still one of my favorites