A story of frustration, and a less than awesome solution

Isn't putting a food plot in similar to baiting? I mean, both are food for wildlife. Foodplots are probably a lot more costly. IDK, I have no interest in putting in a food plot. I have also lost interest in putting out corn. I was thinking, why am I spending the money for this?
Little to no similarity

I am curious how old you think that deer is. I hesitate to guess ages from deer outside my local area - as I am usually wrong. From the size of the brisket and the straight lines on the chest into the stomach - I would guess that deer a 4 1/2 - at least - in my hunting grounds. How old do you guess him?
As bill and native said I had him at 3.5 tops but was leaning to 2.5. Had him under me one day and never thought mature for a second. Looks like a baby here
5B8FBBB9-57A3-4B47-A085-80F99464ABBB.jpeg

Isn't putting a food plot in similar to baiting? I mean, both are food for wildlife. Foodplots are probably a lot more costly. IDK, I have no interest in putting in a food plot. I have also lost interest in putting out corn. I was thinking, why am I spending the money for this?
Not close.

I can put 100# of corn at 28 yards and get a deer to put his nose in it and hold still. Or I can plant a 2 acre plot, have deer browse thru it, and maybe never come into bow range...

I've done both. the plot thing is more satisfying

Yeah I love a huge rack but age is super impressive to me. To kill one 6 is to kill a warrior. Good job.
I was super proud. Just a little bummed because we'd done the work for the age, and he still only came in at 134"

That said, if he was a deer with big antler potential, he'd have been whacked 2 years before... so there's that.

I was super proud. Just a little bummed because we'd done the work for the age, and he still only came in at 134"

That said, if he was a deer with big antler potential, he'd have been whacked 2 years before... so there's that.
High grading. Exactly.
Per my neighbor, he’s had this deer for 4 years where he could identify. So probably puts him at 5 plus. Had him at 10 yards in October but passed cause there was so much season ahead. I regret it now. But he wouldn’t score anything.
09990FC4-6CF0-4A09-9064-2FF5A461BA5A.jpeg

Age is the biggest thing I can get excited about because inches aren't really there at hte moment.

I've killed a couple weird bucks that I was pumped about because I'd gone in specifically for that deer. That's redeeming.

Typical 12 the neighbor and I both passed several years ago. We were thinking 3-1/2 tops? Made his way to the outfitter during the rut and is probably hanging on somebody’s wall back East somewhere…
c1c5347defd2492a44d2e995ad1d1548.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Typical 12 the neighbor and I both passed several years ago. We were thinking 3-1/2 tops? Made his way to the outfitter during the rut and is probably hanging on somebody’s wall back East somewhere…
c1c5347defd2492a44d2e995ad1d1548.jpg

That thing would get shot by me anywhere I hunt without a second thought. That said, if hunting someone else’s managed property I’d be happy to pass as well if they thought it was something that should be passed on.

If it’s legal and it’s the deer you want, I wouldn’t fault you in any way. It doesn’t detract from the frustration I would feel all the same. The neighbors and I don’t text each other pictures of the deer we’d like to shoot, but we do declare the ones we’d rather not. We’d like all of them to make it to 5+, but the bucks like this sting a little more.

I am shocked no one in oh has started a petition to ban baiting yet.

I am shocked no one in oh has started a petition to ban baiting yet.

Not ever going to ban it unless CWD shows in force. The farmer sell too much corn to hunters. I have talked to the “right” people in state government about it many times.

Next.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not ever going to ban it unless CWD shows in force. The farmer sell too much corn to hunters. I have talked to the “right” people in state government about it many times.

Next.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In believe you in all that you’ve said… but so question the farmers having that much of a stakeholder presence. Cwd will definitely stop it (whether macro or micro level) and even skeptics of cwd know baitpiles/feeders (maybe even water tanks) are a prime area of concern.

I would imagine the resistance coming more from how much of a culture thing it is. OOS 5-20ac camp owners and lazy locals alike whose spill 10bags a year don’t bring much for revenue to the farmers, state or “sport”. Corn has been all over the board as a commodity and was at record highs two years ago. Public land hunters wouldn’t mind seeing the owners have to shelve it too. Before the retort - this would likely keep Ohio in the top 3 states for whitetails…. So property values, taxes, revenues would far top the average corn user, while limiting diseases. You can’t cry population is in excess as at least a third of the state was pounded with ehd last year alone.

Just some debate and discussion… not looking for an ego or insult in reply.

i agree with you, Garrett... But I'm not going to sit here and wish for CWD. Ohio is a great state, but we're killing too many young bucks because of bait piles.

Selfishly, I'd love to see it banned because I've got the acreage to and habitat to hold them... But the guy with 40 acres and 5 corn piles that he hunts over will be SOL.

i agree with you, Garrett... But I'm not going to sit here and wish for CWD. Ohio is a great state, but we're killing too many young bucks because of bait piles.

Selfishly, I'd love to see it banned because I've got the acreage to and habitat to hold them... But the guy with 40 acres and 5 corn piles that he hunts over will be SOL.

I'm a guy with a 40 and If I were surrounded by guys with big properties who managed them well I'd be thrilled.. It only sucks for people [edit: your words are better-"Would only be SOL if"] looking to take more from the public's wildlife than they give.

A bunch of people taking a bunch of deer off postage stamps with a baitpile is the more selfish route IMO. No way for a quality herd to be sustainable if everyone did that.

Last edited:
I'm a guy with a 40 and If I were surrounded by guys with big properties who managed them well I'd be thrilled.. It only sucks for people looking to take more from the public's wildlife than they give.

A bunch of people taking a bunch of deer off postage stamps with a baitpile is the more selfish route IMO. No way for a quality herd to be sustainable if everyone did that.
A well managed neighborhood would benefit everyone including the guys with 20 acres

A well managed neighborhood would benefit everyone including the guys with 20 acres
You're right... But you can't even get 2 people to agree on which broadhead to use... how you gonna get them to agree on deer philosophies... But truly, thats probably the easiest thing to do. Easier than selling out and going to find another spot.

I'm a guy with a 40 and If I were surrounded by guys with big properties who managed them well I'd be thrilled.. It only sucks for people [edit: your words are better-"Would only be SOL if"] looking to take more from the public's wildlife than they give.

Those are the guys who wanna hunt October thru mid December. They're allowed to do so. But It sucks to put in the work and have others reaping the majority of the benefit.

Those are the guys who wanna hunt October thru mid December. They're allowed to do so. But It sucks to put in the work and have others reaping the majority of the benefit.

I love the freedom of long seasons! Allows a guy to experience lots of different types of hunting as the year progresses and flexibility with schedule. The catch is that much freedom means degraded hunting for everyone but the biggest landowners or well managed neighborhoods unless regulations notably restrict ease of harvest methods allowed.

You're right... But you can't even get 2 people to agree on which broadhead to use... how you gonna get them to agree on deer philosophies... But truly, thats probably the easiest thing to do. Easier than selling out and going to find another spot.

I have two neighbors that will let a 150 inch 12 point walk and shoot an old 8 point so the 12 can get to booner size. Very hard to find neighbors like this but it can happen. I also have jerk off neighbors though 😜