A story of frustration, and a less than awesome solution

Se wis

Our ministry banned natural deer lures, can only use artificial scents to help prevent disease but you can bait all you want. I think the tourism industry had a big play in that.

Maybe more developments, but today I got a call from one of the neighbors who said "where are the big bucks?"

We had a long productive talk about an informal co-op or at the very least getting together over a meal of burgers and a camp fire before the season next year, comparing pictures, and putting out a loose framework of deer we think could be shot, and maybe a deer that needs a year. If it tickles you to shoot one, go for it, but on the whole, being on the same page goes a long way.

Positive movement.

Glad you have people around that want the same thing as you. I think half of my neighbors are poaching deer throughout the year.

Glad you have people around that want the same thing as you. I think half of my neighbors are poaching deer throughout the year.
I'm quasi certain we have those too. That's what really screws things up.

I'm quasi certain we have those too. That's what really screws things up.
There is a guy and his teenage daughter that hunt my neighbors property. I heard him shoot on opening day 3 times in the morning and then what sounded like the same gun 2 more times in the evening. Possible, you're allowed to shoot a buck and a doe now on the same day, so no big deal. I saw them last Saturday getting out their truck when I got there so I went over and talked and asked him if he got anything. He says ya I got a decent 8 pt. I said oh did you miss the first time because you shot two different times right? He says oh that was my daughter she missed a 4 pt. She gives him an awkward glance and doesn't say anything.

I'm thinking, there is no way in hell that was her shooting. It was a large caliber both times and sounded like the exact same gun. The look she gave him confirmed that. He's always complaining about getting her a shot at a deer but the last two years he's killed two and she hasn't gotten a shot off. (except for the alleged one she missed, but that was even the second buck they saw).

And this sucks because typically I'd be more than happy to let her hunt my property to try to get a deer, but I don't trust him at all. I sure as hell don't want him shooting a spike or something and putting her tag on it.

Maybe more developments, but today I got a call from one of the neighbors who said "where are the big bucks?"

We had a long productive talk about an informal co-op or at the very least getting together over a meal of burgers and a camp fire before the season next year, comparing pictures, and putting out a loose framework of deer we think could be shot, and maybe a deer that needs a year. If it tickles you to shoot one, go for it, but on the whole, being on the same page goes a long way.

Positive movement.
That's what we did when we started our co-op. We got together for a meal cooked at the hosting camp. We also brought in a biologist who knew the area and the deer capable of being produced. It helped having him there to be impartial and give recommendations. We collected jawbones and body weights as well. And, the biologist conducted browse surveys.

That's what we did when we started our co-op. We got together for a meal cooked at the hosting camp. We also brought in a biologist who knew the area and the deer capable of being produced. It helped having him there to be impartial and give recommendations. We collected jawbones and body weights as well. And, the biologist conducted browse surveys.
I have a direct line to a biologist who might be worthwhile bringing in. Erich Long used to write for QDMA magazine. I should bust his chops again and get him up there.

For whatever reason this year, we had several coyotes moving across our fields that were in view of the house in the middle of the day during the firearm season. The main field is about a 330 yard shot to the back tree line. Two different instances, we took multiple shots at the coyotes. I'm sure the neighbors assumed we were laying waste to several deer. The point is, until you have good relationships with the neighbors with a healthy amount of communication, it is only ever an assumption of what is taking place.

I've found it's always best to assume. Let the chips fall where they may.....

As for my "accusations" I'm correct, I just am not sure which neighbors are doing it. My dogs come back with deer parts that were sawed off.

Positive movement.
N...I...C...E !!!!! We did that here with letting does walk a few years back to build the herd back. Camp co-ops can do wonders. Good luck with all your neighbors. The burger / campfire pow-wow is a great idea for productive talks. Congrats!

I always try to see things from everyone's POV. My next door neighbor is the nicest guy. He's 74 and owns a 40 in a neighboring county. The area he's in is legendary. His kids don't hunt, but he has a group of old friends who come and stay with him every year for the short shotgun seasons, his "deer camp." I think deep down he'd like to shoot a big buck, but he's happy getting a doe or any buck that gives him a shot. Same with his friends. They're too crowded on the 40. One of the guys is 78 and my neighbor told me if he gets a deer this year he'll give it to the 78 because he needs it more. If my neighbor kicked everyone out, he'd probably have very good hunting that lasts the entire season. But he has no interest in doing that. I'm sure there are trophy managers in his 'hood that are unhappy with him, but he doesn't care one bit and why would he? It's a bunch of old guys having a good time and staying inside the law. He was also doing habitat before it was cool. Planting fruit and oak trees, crp and burns, killing invasive brush, etc.
Quick shout out to my 74 yr old neighbor for getting a nice buck last wknd! Might be his biggest ever. My son is holding it here. He got a doe 3 minutes later and as he promised he gave the meat to 2 of his friends who needed it more.

20211209_162719.jpg

Nice buck!

Quick shout out to my 74 yr old neighbor for getting a nice buck last wknd! Might be his biggest ever. My son is holding it here. He got a doe 3 minutes later and as he promised he gave the meat to 2 of his friends who needed it more.

View attachment 39199
Nice buck.

I keep telling myself that we're all in this together against the deer. HA! But its just certain deer I want to kill anymore

A good outcome all the way around.

reviving this old girl...

We've gotten worse around our land. Funny thing is, we had 1 neighbor who was willing to feed more than we did and drew deer off of ours. Now a new neighbor is willing to feed WAY more than he does and he's calling us saying "we gotta do something here..."

Lol

There are 2 kinds of hunters and fishermen in the world. Those in your party, and the a$$holes

reviving this old girl...

We've gotten worse around our land. Funny thing is, we had 1 neighbor who was willing to feed more than we did and drew deer off of ours. Now a new neighbor is willing to feed WAY more than he does and he's calling us saying "we gotta do something here..."

Lol

There are 2 kinds of hunters and fishermen in the world. Those in your party, and the a$$holes
You gave me an idea for a new topic.