What would you do?

BoazBooner

Yearling... With promise
Hello all, although I don't comment much I frequent these forums and love all the insight provided here. I am in a bit of a conundrum at my new house and would like opinions/flat out tell me I'm being ridiculous.

We recently purchased a new house in South Central Wisconsin that has 15 acres of woods on the edge of town. Our house is up on a ridge above the river but our land below butts up to 13 houses along the river. The previous owner did not hunt but let a guy bow hunt, even though he rarely did. She told me that there are no doubt trespassers below and that one guy in particular baits the deer. So, going in to this situation I know that I will have an uphill battle because no one has cared about trespassing and the like for the last 24 years.

I hung a few stands, planted some fruit trees, cleared a couple trails, dug a water hole and put up cameras in the last 4 months so I have been busy creating a more inviting habitat for wildlife. Last night I sat in a stand above the house that baits/feeds the deer. It is a legit deer feeder, 2' wide trough with roof sitting 2' off the ground filled with corn. I was going to give the benefit of the doubt and think even if he is feeding the deer, they would likely only show up after dark. Well, deer showed up to the feeder an hour before dark and stayed there. Then about 15 minutes before sunset 4 floodlights turn on and are all shining directly on the feeder. These lights are bright and are not shining down on his patio or anything, they are clearly trained to light up the feeder area. I did not stay until absolute dark but have no doubt that he would be able to see deer from his house at all hours of the night with this setup.

So now my head is racing toward worst case scenarios where this neighbor has had these lights and feeder operation going for so long that deer are simply accustomed to it and have no fear. Could he be shooting these deer at night and then recovering them off of my property? He owns .92 acres that consist of about 25 yards by 25 yards of woods which is where the feeder is. It would be a stretch to believe that any deer he were to shoot would stay on his property. I have confirmed that he never asked the previous owner for permission to recover any wildlife, so perhaps he has never shot anything...perhaps.

My quandary lies in whether I am being paranoid and should just forget about this, or should I go speak to the neighbor or lastly, go right to the DNR? I have two young boys aged 2 and 4 and while they cannot hunt yet, they are interested in what Dad does and I hope they would like to some day. Do I need to nip this in the bud ASAP so that this isn't an issue many years down the road? I know that I cannot tell someone what to do on their property but there is a possibility that someone from my party could be injured should that neighbor shoot from his house toward the feeder as it is uphill from the house toward my land. Again, it is illegal to bait/feed deer in my county so perhaps I politely ask him to take the feeder down or raise it to a level that deer cannot reach it. Something tells me it won't be that easy so wanted to see if anyone has any experience or advice in this realm.

Thanks

My $0.02:

Do I think they are shooting deer? No - quite the opposite.
That house is probably "feeding the poor deer". They likely believe that they are doing a service to wildlife and the lights are so that they can see them. They would likely not be very happy that you're in the woods (even though it's your woods) and killing "their deer". I make these assumptions based on the fact that you mentioned it's a neighborhood. If the guy was shooting stuff, the neighbors would probably be calling the local PD/Sheriff to investigate.

What can you do?
In my small history in dealing with people with this type of mentality you won't change their minds or convince them to stop. They believe with their entire being that they are in the right and that these animals wouldn't survive out there without their help. No amount of science is going to be believed (by them) that feeding the deer doesn't always helps them. Forests and animals have existed long before they came along and put up their feeding station. So if it was me, I wouldn't involve myself. If the DNR showed up all of the sudden (now that you moved in) they would know who called and you will be more of an outsider than you already are being new to the area/neighborhood. Someday your boys will be old enough to go to school and may meet some friends that live in that same neighborhood. Your actions now might impact that. It will be hard, but I would just let it go. And that will be VERY hard.

Hello all, although I don't comment much I frequent these forums and love all the insight provided here. I am in a bit of a conundrum at my new house and would like opinions/flat out tell me I'm being ridiculous.

We recently purchased a new house in South Central Wisconsin that has 15 acres of woods on the edge of town. Our house is up on a ridge above the river but our land below butts up to 13 houses along the river. The previous owner did not hunt but let a guy bow hunt, even though he rarely did. She told me that there are no doubt trespassers below and that one guy in particular baits the deer. So, going in to this situation I know that I will have an uphill battle because no one has cared about trespassing and the like for the last 24 years.

I hung a few stands, planted some fruit trees, cleared a couple trails, dug a water hole and put up cameras in the last 4 months so I have been busy creating a more inviting habitat for wildlife. Last night I sat in a stand above the house that baits/feeds the deer. It is a legit deer feeder, 2' wide trough with roof sitting 2' off the ground filled with corn. I was going to give the benefit of the doubt and think even if he is feeding the deer, they would likely only show up after dark. Well, deer showed up to the feeder an hour before dark and stayed there. Then about 15 minutes before sunset 4 floodlights turn on and are all shining directly on the feeder. These lights are bright and are not shining down on his patio or anything, they are clearly trained to light up the feeder area. I did not stay until absolute dark but have no doubt that he would be able to see deer from his house at all hours of the night with this setup.

So now my head is racing toward worst case scenarios where this neighbor has had these lights and feeder operation going for so long that deer are simply accustomed to it and have no fear. Could he be shooting these deer at night and then recovering them off of my property? He owns .92 acres that consist of about 25 yards by 25 yards of woods which is where the feeder is. It would be a stretch to believe that any deer he were to shoot would stay on his property. I have confirmed that he never asked the previous owner for permission to recover any wildlife, so perhaps he has never shot anything...perhaps.

My quandary lies in whether I am being paranoid and should just forget about this, or should I go speak to the neighbor or lastly, go right to the DNR? I have two young boys aged 2 and 4 and while they cannot hunt yet, they are interested in what Dad does and I hope they would like to some day. Do I need to nip this in the bud ASAP so that this isn't an issue many years down the road? I know that I cannot tell someone what to do on their property but there is a possibility that someone from my party could be injured should that neighbor shoot from his house toward the feeder as it is uphill from the house toward my land. Again, it is illegal to bait/feed deer in my county so perhaps I politely ask him to take the feeder down or raise it to a level that deer cannot reach it. Something tells me it won't be that easy so wanted to see if anyone has any experience or advice in this realm.

Thanks

WOW ... always amazed at how people rationalize there behavior over others similar behavior. Yes, you are being ridiculous.

You are a new neighbor and the first thing you want to do is pick a fight with the neighbor next door? Nobody takes kindly to the new guy starting to explain the "rules" to them.

You rationalize what you do to attract deer as "habitat", I am sure your neighbor enjoys watching his "ground feeder" for birds, squirrels, and raccoons.

Chill ...

I am a firm believer in what one does on their property should not be questioned by neighbors...Unless illegal. Right now he has lights shining on a feeder. That's not illegal. One of the best hunts I ever went on with an outfitter they literally had a beautiful fire pit and bar and give or take 100 yard away they had 4 feeders under spotlights and called it the fish tank. After dark they would have the feeders go off and we could sit there and watch the critters flood in and feed. There were some monsters too but no one hunted that area. It was a ton of fun to watch. Now if you start hearing shots after dark or observe anything I would have it addressed very quick.

Points well taken, I realize I was jumping the gun here and will leave it alone. Thanks

Points well taken, I realize I was jumping the gun here and will leave it alone. Thanks

Enjoy the new property & get to know your neighbors. Remember, cranky neighbors can really make things difficult for you including screwing up your hunting. :emoji_wink:

I think you are thinking worst case.... For all you know it's an older couple that like to see and watch the deer with no poor intentions and they may be totally against you shooting their deer! Now...you hear rifle shots at night or find blood trails and the like...then you may need to investigate further....until then....watch your own bobber. My concern would be based on your baiting laws.....and how their feeder may impact your legality in hunting.

Also keep in mind 15 acres is pretty small as far as huntable property. You might very well be dealing with all the neighbors in one way or another for recoveries and such

I would leave it alone as far as confronting the neighbor that "might" be hunting.
I would then try to use it to my advantage. Deer showing up daily an hour before dark? Sounds like a pretty sweet deal if there is a way to intercept them.
Back to the neighbor... I would make a visit and tell him you hunt. Let him know that you might shoot a deer and it could cross his land or even die on it. I imagine his response will tell you a lot about who you are working with.

Maybe its because I don't trust anyone including neighbors, I would def keep an eye on it. Maybe make contact with that neighbor, introduce yourself as the new property owner and see what their intentions are. If it seems like the are doing some illegal, I'd follow it up contact to the local law enforcement to advise them of the situation. Not sure of your state's laws but here in Ohio it's illegal to even track a deer on someone's property without permission. Lights on a feeder, just sounds sketchy to me. Just my input.

They are 100% illegal if deer feeding and baiting are banned in your county. People can do whatever they want on their own land until they break the law. What they are doing is illegal and negatively impacting you and that's not cool.

Since you are the new neighbor they will likely know who turned them in if you call the DNR and they give them a ticket. I think talking to them in person is a good first step and if they continue illegally feeding then turn them in.

If feeding deer is illegal in your area then he is breaking the law regardless if he is taking deer off the feeder. His feeder is altering the deer pattern on your property so it does effect you. The reason for laws like no baiting or feeding deer are there to protect the deer and for fair chase reasons. Here in NY we had an outbreak of EHD this year with alot of deer found dead when we haven't had a problem at all until now. Here in NY we aren't even allowed to put out a mineral block in the spring let alone bait or feed deer.
If he was poaching deer you would report it wouldn't you? I would. Personally I wouldn't confront him, I would call the DNR about his feeder though regardless if he is poaching deer from it but that is me.

Squirrel feeder. Air tight alibi

I would just use the feeder to your advantage.

Squirrel feeder. Air tight alibi

Not in South Central Wis. Due to CWD concerns and spreading risk, there are many instances where property owners have been cited or more likely “educated”, by a conservation Warden in regards to over flowing bird and squirrel feeders.
I am not the authority on laws and regulations but do know the DNR currently does not take feeding, baiting, or mineral lightly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Illegal to put out most forms of bait that can be accessed by deer. In this case it seems like the feeder is specifically for deer first other animals second. You are well within your right to call it in. Don’t listen to the stay in your lane crowd. As far as I’m concerned your well within it. Do what you feel is best.

Thanks

Personally, I would not concern myself with what he "might" be doing. I ask myself this. Have I seen anything illegal.? In my state, there is a prohibition against feeding deer because of CWD and other disease spreading concerns. If that is true in your state, I'd contact your state game department. Many non-hunters don't even know it is illegal to feed deer. Our game department would outreach educating them as a first step. If the practice stops, that would likely be the end of it. If not , enforcement would get involved.

I don't know your state or how it would be handled there, but I would definitely not extrapolate what you've seen to what might happen.

Thanks,

Jack