Squirrel issues

yoderjac

5 year old buck +
I've always had issues with squirrels when I put my trees out on the deck in the spring. Removing the nuts helps but that is not enough. Even without nuts, they dig into the medium and kill some plants. Something actually chewed through one of my plastic containers to get at the rots of some apples last year. I was starting to believe I had a opossum or skunk. My solution to the squirrel problem has been trapping them with a box trap and then baptizing them (not the sprinkling form). They are territorial and once you remove the ones living around your house, it takes quite a while before others in the neighborhood start moving in.

I started trapping early this ear but I was having trouble catching anything. I had to stop using peanut butter because I found cardinals would fly into the trap and eat it. They are not heavy enough to trip the trap so they never learned not to eat it. Next I went to mixed nuts. The cardinals just flew away with them. Finally I started putting the nuts in a mesh bag and tying the bag to the trip. That stopped the cardinals but I wasn't catching anything. I finally bought a skunk trap and put some sardines in it. I figured at worst I'd catch a stray cat. I also put a game camera out to see if I could figure out what was getting into my trees.

When I got back from turkey hunting today I checked the traps. The box trap with the nuts was empty but the door was closed on the skunk trap. Then I noticed there was a squirrel half way coming out of the top of the skunk trap. The squirrel had learned not to go into the box trap, even for the nuts. Evidently a near miss when it was younger. The skunk trap was new. It must have been curious concerning the sardine smell. The skunk trap was a solid plastic to keep you from getting sprayed. There was a small clear piece of plastic at the top so you could see what was in the trap. There was enough of a gap for the squirrel to start working on the black plastic. it was quite thick. It had gotten about 1/2 way out and got stuck. A curious stray dog cam on the deck and killed. it. I guess it was just a squirrel that had a pension for plastic that was chewing my RB 2 containers.

Thanks,

Jack

I don't know if you can use this remedy where you live, but I head shoot anywhere from 10-25 squirrels a year with my 22 magnum rifle in my front yard under my bird feeders. I clean them and give them to my helper on the farm. His whole family loves squirrel. I am talking about grey and fox squirrels. Now if you have the nefarious pine squirrels, that is a different story. They are destructive vermin who deserve to die by any means possible.
Maybe a scoped pellet gun if you live where you can not shoot a .22 magnum rifle?

A .22 was my first choice but discharge is not legal at my home. I have actually killed a few with my bow, but that is quite a challenge and too time consuming.

I live in squirrel central. I have many dozen of them living right around my home. Gray, fox, reds, and I guess a few flying too. It's a love/hate relationship. My yard is 100% hickory and black walnut so I like the fact that they keep the nuts cleaned up, but they also cause problems. They chew my deck and furniture and get into my bird feeders unless I employ tactics. Three quarters of the time I want them all dead and the rest of the time they provide a service. I figure that I can always eat them if I need to.

Rat traps and 110 connibears

Unfortunately I'm in a neighborhood. I don't want to injure the neighbors cat or other domestic animal.

Unfortunately I'm in a neighborhood. I don't want to injure the neighbors cat or other domestic animal.

Folks I know screw the rat traps to a tree about eye level. Should keep the neighbors' pets out of it.

Folks I know screw the rat traps to a tree about eye level. Should keep the neighbors' pets out of it.

Just had our trees removed (May be a help). Good idea though.

Some type of mythical creature is nipping the top off of my baby chestnut seedlings in the backyard

backyard is fenced ......home is in suburban neighborhood( not at ranch)

I have a russian wolfhound who terrorizes the squirrels and keeps them away

?vampire bat,chupacabra?

bill

Some type of mythical creature is nipping the top off of my baby chestnut seedlings in the backyard

backyard is fenced ......home is in suburban neighborhood( not at ranch)

I have a russian wolfhound who terrorizes the squirrels and keeps them away

?vampire bat,chupacabra?

bill

Groundhog?

Well, I tried the squirrel pole idea shown in the video above. Absolutely zero success. I watched a squirrel the other day scamper past the pole and climb up the tree next to it. I've had two of them up since early May.

I also decided to try something else. I have a raised flower bed with a 6" layer of wood chips in it. A squirrel had dug a hole in the chips. I figured no dog or domestic animal would be up in my raised bed (about 3' high against the house on one side), so I put some nuts in the hole and put the connibear 110 on top of it. I did not bother tying down the trap figuring it would kill a squirrel.

Well, I got home the other day and the trap was gone and the hole filled in. My first thought was a neighbor didn't like it and took it, but one of the squirrel poles with two traps was in plain sight about 10' away. If it was a person, he/she would have taken them as well. There was no sign of anything dragging the trap through the wood chips. My next thought was a larger animal. I raccoon could have carried the trap with it, perhaps an opossum or fox. There was no smell of skunk.

Then another thought occurred. Perhaps it was a squirrel and the trap killed it and then a neighborhood dog or bird of prey took the squirrel with the trap. We have eagles and osprey as well as hawks in the area. Not really sure what happened.

I decided to get that approach another shot. To keep a squirrel from digging under the trap to get to the nuts, I decided to cut the top off a plastic poweraid bottle (fairly wide). I buried that in the chips. I took the lid and filled it with peanut butter and stuck some nuts in it and put it in the bottom then put the connibear on top. We got rain tonight and I realized I forgot to put drain holes in the bottom of the plastic bottle. I'll need to do that and reset it in the morning.

I saw 4 squirrels in the yard last week so I'm getting more serious. Yesterday I did a little quick research and ordered a Benjamin Trail NP2 in .22 cal. Because it is not a firearm, it skirts the discharge laws in my county. I was trying to find a good compromise between accuracy, killing power, noise, and cost. I considered a good PCP but couldn't justify the price tag so I went with one of the quieter spring designs. My primary use will be pest control so shots should be short range (hopefully most from my living room or basement to my upper or lower deck). I was looking to keep the noise down to keep neighbor relations good. Lots of PETA types around here so less attention means less hassle.

Does anyone else have a Benjamin Trail NP2 in .22 cal? If so, what is your experience with it?

Thanks,

Jack

While I don't have the Benjamin that you ordered, I do have a springer that I use for squirrel control. The first few times that you shoot it, it will be loud. It will settle down after 50-100 shots. I live in a neighboorhood also, but the neighbors actually encourage me to control the squirrels. The squirrels have gotten into their attics and done some damage so they consider them a pest. I don't like the fact that the squirrels don't want to share my apples and pecans with me. You will definitely need to practice with the new air gun so think about building some type of back stop if you want to shoot in your backyard. The airguns now are nothing like the old pumps I had as a kid. They are pretty powerful and will go through a wooden fence without much trouble.

While I don't know your neighborhood, you should be able to control their population with the airgun if you are vigilant. Right now I have young squirrels moving in looking for a territory of their own. Once I take care of them, I probably won't see any until September when my pecan tree starts producing. I will again take care of them and won't see them until next April/May.

While I don't have the Benjamin that you ordered, I do have a springer that I use for squirrel control. The first few times that you shoot it, it will be loud. It will settle down after 50-100 shots. I live in a neighboorhood also, but the neighbors actually encourage me to control the squirrels. The squirrels have gotten into their attics and done some damage so they consider them a pest. I don't like the fact that the squirrels don't want to share my apples and pecans with me. You will definitely need to practice with the new air gun so think about building some type of back stop if you want to shoot in your backyard. The airguns now are nothing like the old pumps I had as a kid. They are pretty powerful and will go through a wooden fence without much trouble.

While I don't know your neighborhood, you should be able to control their population with the airgun if you are vigilant. Right now I have young squirrels moving in looking for a territory of their own. Once I take care of them, I probably won't see any until September when my pecan tree starts producing. I will again take care of them and won't see them until next April/May.

Thanks! I'm not too worried about controlling the population in the neighborhood. I'm taking advantage of the fact that they are territorial. Once I finally eliminate the ones around my house, it will be a while before new ones move in.

The Benjamin arrived today. I installed the scope. It was nicer than I expected. Pellets are scheduled to arrive on Sunday. Installed the scope tonight. I'm anxious to see how it performs

Thanks,

Jack.

I've had the same problem w/ rodents digging up my oak seedlings but I think my vermin are ground squirrels. Tougher to deal w/, smaller target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had one that not only loved to dig in my seedlings, it also loved to chew on the plastic containers. It is now dead. It was pretty wary. The new ones that have moved in are young and quite aggressive. I can walk within 5 yards of them without them running off. One tried to enter the house the other day while I was on the deck!

I have a new group of squirrels and chipmunks raising hell in the garage. They are tearing into all my seed bags. Unfortunately i will have to start eliminating them.