Live from the stand thread

And for me it is the life decisions by my father and grandfather. I am blessed to hunt family land that is situated in a great spot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I respected when winke said something along the lines of, we wouldn’t be in this position if we couldn’t hunt iowa everyday.
I remember him once being asked something along the lines of what the most important thing was for killing big bucks. He said location , he was right obviously. You can't kill what isn't there.

Trust me, not all of iowa is a big buck haven. A small percentage of it is big buck territory. But those are the areas being highlighted on YouTube. At the time he said that, I was trying so hard to kill mature deer in an area that simply didn't have them that I was driving myself crazy. Now I am blessed to be one of the guys who gets to pass big bucks hoping for bigger bucks.
IMG_20231031_071659.jpgIMG_20231031_071703.jpgIMG_20231031_071711.jpg

Last edited:
It's funny the stages I have gone through. I have been hunting for 36 or so years. For a long time it was shoot any buck and doe. Then it was shoot a "big" (my definition) buck and as many does as I can. Then it was shoot a 125+ or better. Now I just shoot whatever buck makes me happy. Many have been smaller, but as others said; some of my areas now don't hold the big bucks like they used to. I don't really shoot does anymore. I need to, have too many in my OH spot, I just don't want to.

Moved to the trailcam pics thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: 356
I dont have the best winds for my stands today, out of the sw, I may be standing on the ground tonight.

For some reason I didn’t have any signal today in my stand. Anyway the snow quit right after I got home so it made for a perfect evening. saw 11 turkeys, a doe I think, could have been a little buck. 3 other bucks 2 of which were legal and an unknown little bugger who went through pretty quickly. Had the legal ones at 18-19 yds but couldn’t get a shot at the big non typical with my longbow. The other was a little 5 with 3 up on 1 side he got a pass. The bucks were just cruising tonight. I did get the big one on a trail cam when he was in front of me though

Nice buck!!! Lookin quite pleased with his role behind the apron now too!

Beautiful!

That one will be talked about for a long time.

No cheater there, congrats! Damn those brows....

Congrats to your brother, Bill! Great buck!

Heck of a buck!! Crazy brow tines. I don't think I've ever seen longer ones. Congrats to your bother!!

Congrats to the Camp Bitch!

Congrats to your brother Bill awesome buck!

I dont have the best winds for my stands today, out of the sw, I may be standing on the ground tonight.
I should have listened to myself yesterday and stood on the ground in a different spot, I went to one of my stands and got busted by a doe, and a follower that I never got good eyes on, she took off and the other one took off after her.

Still blowing out of the south. I’m back in the same spot.