Live from the stand thread

I just got reports from two other friends hunting in different areas this morning and they never saw a deer this morning.
What is going on out there. Most people are struggling with a few exceptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think some areas are hotter at different times during the rut. My Pop's place usually shows good action in late October but the "prime time" of 1st and 2nd week of November can be very quiet. And not just with the bucks, no doe sightings either. It's my guess that the bucks harass the doe early in the rut and push them into different areas where the "breeding" actually occurs. Having small acreage, 40 in our case, this may very well be outside of our property lines. I'm hoping my place a mile away is different, to new to me to know just yet.

Been sitting for about one hour. First time I have sat this stand this year. It's on a 1/2 acre oak/poplar island surrounded by a massive s***hole of cattails/tag alders.

you sitting in shorts and a t-shirt?

Looks like a nice spot.

Walked in with just a t-shirt and a thin pair of bottoms. It's quite a hike and I didn't even go over my knee boots...success!!

Love the tamaracks in the background

70 deg here in MI right now

It has to be close to 70° here, all I am thinking about is a campfire and cocktails while on stand.

70 in MO and I'm nearly in tears :(

Friggin south wind won't end til Friday.

Only saw a doe and fawn last night. They hung around under me for 1 hour, talk about the perfect buck bait! I finally had to scare them off to get out of stand. Never heard any chasing or grunting, it was very quiet. Had a buddy hunting with me and he didn't see a deer.

Sitting on the edge of a 4 acre corn field. It's a balmy 73°. Food source, bedding, bow, suntan oil...check.

Yep - the heat's not making this easy. I like a frosty morning with a daytime high of about 45 - 50. That's warm enough.

I'm with you balmy 70 degrees. But it's Nov 3rd, can't stay home.

I brought my plastic friend with me. I hope someone wants to kick his butt. A first for me we shale see.

And for the record can we combine this thread and pics from the stand I confuse easily.

4003ddfe980acb86fccc4d7a4affa087.jpg
32ad6ab41e65f86256702e3f0a431a95.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second loosing one of these threads. Here is a partridge that joined me in the tree for about 30 minutes. It was talking to me but I couldn't understand what it was saying. The next morning I had a fisher under my feet. I tried to get a pic but he was gone in a flash before I could get my phone out. I have had three very close encounters with fishers this year, neat animal.
image.jpg

Here is the spot I want to turn into bedding, it is an old beaver pond. My guess it is about 10 acres that I can see, not sure how far it goes around the bend. My property line is about 100 yards out, behind that is state land. This spot is not easy to get to unless you go through my property. My thoughts are red dogwood and maybe black spruce. The stuff there now isn't that thick so I think stuff will grow through it no problem. Any ideas on what to plant? The right hand side is heavy with hemlock.
image.jpg

I'm with Bill... way too confusing. I locked the other thread and asked everyone to join us here :)

Thanks,

-John

Chummer,
That place screams willows. I don't know if dappled willow is a water lover like other willows but if it is I'd go that route.

NoFo,
Good luck.

John,
How dare you lock a thread! Tyrant!

Last edited:
I of my guys drilled a nice 1@4pm in our swamp. 28 yard passthru, thunderhead. He is heading out now to bt.
Hopefully he has found him!

Chummer,
That place screams willows. I don't know if dappled willow is a water lover like other willows but if it is I'd go that route.

NoFo,
Good luck.

John,
How dare you lock a thread! Tyrant!

Chummer - if you want to experiment with some willows to see how they will do (swamps can be tough to establish anything because of competition) hit me up.

I'll hook you up with some free cuttings next spring so we can all learn something.

Thanks,

-John

You know you should really stop giving away free stuff. You know what a profit is, right? ;)

Chummer - if you want to experiment with some willows to see how they will do (swamps can be tough to establish anything because of competition) hit me up.

I'll hook you up with some free cuttings next spring so we can all learn something.

Thanks,

-John
That would be awesome. It will have to be plant it and forget it. I was thinking about starting them in pots but that would be hard to get the volume probably needed. We will talk.