Land Tour at Foggy's Place

What about a bunch of artificial Xmas trees between the points for a travel corridor? :)

No worry about loss, Instant vertical cover, and if you left the lights on them, it would be like an airplane runway calling deer to use it. Dang, I could be onto something!!! HAHAHa

What about a bunch of artificial Xmas trees between the points for a travel corridor? :)

No worry about loss, Instant vertical cover, and if you left the lights on them, it would be like an airplane runway calling deer to use it. Dang, I could be onto something!!! HAHAHa
^ Not sure about how whitetails would respond to this set-up.....but I betcha the reindeer would flock thru that area. :)

Wonder if just the t-posts with some string between t-posts for birds to land on (and poop seeds) would do anything?

You guys ever put T-posts in across a swamp? They may have to be 20 footers to hit something solid to hold them up. You hang anything on them and they will tip over and turn into a huge mess, if not anchored into solid ground.

Foggy one thing you may want to consider once you figure out the swamp crossing issue is creating a blockade if possible where the deer are currently crossing. Might save a few deer from getting shot by neighbors and it would help encourage travel through your crossing point. I don't remember if you own far enough over to have an affect on that current crossing point.

Looks like a great property and a fun time!!

That's certainly likely in many swamps/sedge meadows/etc. I've got t-posts and 3 strand barb wire through some pretty low/wet areas, but the sub soil may be firmer than what foggy has.

I think the soils in the swamp are quite variable. Iv'e walked out into the swamp a few times with rubber boots and driven 4 wheelers across it in the summer.....without a problem. At the same time, on the north end of the swamp....they lost (sunk) a track-hoe when building the road crossing.....back in the 50's or 60's (according to my neighbor). It's a different swamp from one end to the other.....for sure.

Lost it???? As in, the thing is still in the swamp? HAAAA.

Lost it???? As in, the thing is still in the swamp? HAAAA.

Yep.....they had the dipper stick standing straight up and could not pull it out with a cat. They tried to pull it free on multiple times....but never did so. Then they put a barrel on the dipper stick as it slowly sunk away. I'm told you can still see the barrel...but I have never seen it.

Well start digging! :p Free excavator. Woo Hoo! :D

I found out via soil probes that much of my swamp is about 4' deep muck over a clay liner, over sand. Knowing that anything I lay down will only sink 4' means I'm building a boardwalk.

Come and get it. I'll split it 50/50 with you.....if you un-earth it. :D (Been there for over 50 years now.....prolly antique value. ;) )

I've wondered whether this was fact or fiction a few times. I keep looking for that barrel.....and have not seen it. Neighbor says he'll show me sometime.

I'm not sure what that grass in my swamp is. Stu?....do you have any ideas? I like that Jap Millet Idea Fish.....except I don't know if my standing water will be gone as long as the water table remains high - like it is now.

The stuff they are standing in looks to be some type of wetland sedge, but it looks like the stuff in the background is different. 2 different types of vegetation out in that marsh?

You have a number of different sedges in there foggy, probably a few different grasses as well
That is exactly what I was thinking stu.

Just talked with my Neighbor who has the house directly across from my shed.....right on the corner. They hunt the area to the North/west of my land. They took two bucks.....including a Monster 10 Pointer. 232 # dressed. This is likely the big 'un I'd had a few trail cam pic's of. Biggest deer he's ever taken. Congrats (I guess). Our area was one of the best I have heard of. Wonder what will be next year? o_O

Gonna see if I can get a picture.

I wouldn't be surprised if that has been done somewhere already :)

Along that same line of thinking...a double row of t-posts and snow fence would accomplish the same thing
Two of us had discussed adding a fabric barrier to the snow fence. Catch silt, but my location has a flowage thru it.

I called and talked to my friend at the Kanabec County Environmental office today about your situation to get basically a small road across that wetland. As long as you have the sedge and other grass we saw, No Inlet/Outlet water flow, no cattails. She did not think a small road of aprox 8' by 200-300' would be a problem with her in Kanabec County. All she would need to do is stop out, take a quick look and determine which of the 11 wetlands it is that they work with in this county. Sounds to her that if it has water in the spring, less or none in the fall, it would be a "Wet Meadow" Determination.

Hope that helps! Good Luck!

Notice the caveat of "no cattails"!;)

I called and talked to my friend at the Kanabec County Environmental office today about your situation to get basically a small road across that wetland. As long as you have the sedge and other grass we saw, No Inlet/Outlet water flow, no cattails. She did not think a small road of aprox 8' by 200-300' would be a problem with her in Kanabec County. All she would need to do is stop out, take a quick look and determine which of the 11 wetlands it is that they work with in this county. Sounds to her that if it has water in the spring, less or none in the fall, it would be a "Wet Meadow" Determination.

Hope that helps! Good Luck!

OK Thanks Mo. I gotta travel to Walker to get to the office at the SWCD. Probably do that tomorrow or Wed. I know a lot more about this than I used to. Lots of good points have been made. Thanks everyone!

Appreciate all the time spent on a review of my land. Almost embarrassed to ask more.....almost. :D

Was doing some looking at wetland classifications. Here is a map of my area. I own gov outlets 3 and 4.....as well as the 40 south of outlet 4. That swamp at the intersection of the "L" is the part in question. It has a Classification of PEM/SS1C in the area I'd like to make a crossing. Any knowledge about that classification is perhaps helpful before I head into the SWCD office.

Attachments

• wetlandsDec82014210902GMT-0600.pdf
    740 KB · Views: 22