All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Land Tour at Foggy's Place

Just tell them it's a silvicultural access trail through the swamp - those are exempt from the WCA. ;)

The tour was very worthwhile for me when we discussed this wetland. Four or five people had experience and the ideas seemed to build from each other's experience and perspective. I encourage everyone to get together with a group of 4 or 5 habitat guys and learn from each other.
View attachment 3187

Refresh my memory. Does my quest for a permit to do work in this swamp, begin with the County SWCD?

You can always tell the smart guys because they keep quiet! I'm in the other crowd. Nice to meet you and Riggs.

Its good to listen to the ones that have more experience. I wont call you guys old, but I think was the youngest there by quite a few years.

Refresh my memory. Does my quest for a permit to do work in this swamp, begin with the County SWCD?
I believe so. I know any pond work is taken care of through them so I'm pretty sure your situation would be handled there. Dnr only deals with public water wetlands I believe.

Last edited:
Im not certain what SWCD stands for but contact you county soil and water district and they should be able to help you. Most likely they will need to do a site visit to determine what type of marsh you have and that will determine what your allowed to do.

Its good to listen to the ones that have more experience. I wont call you guys old, but I think was the youngest there by quite a few years.
Im only 38 but this weather makes me feel 50.

Soil water conservation district.

Foggy I read that there are some exemptions for wetland impact and anything under 400 square feet may not require permit. Filling in parts of wetland is tricky because there may be replacement wetland costs.

Foggy I read that there are some exemptions for wetland impact and anything under 400 square feet may not require permit. Filling in parts of wetland is tricky because there may be replacement wetland costs.
400 square feet isnt much. 10x40 foot area. I need to do that x 100.

The exemption square footage is determined by two primary factors: wetland type, and if it's within the Rear Lot Zone (RLZ) of a lake. RLZ is 400sf, where outside that is 10,000sf - unless it's a calcareous fen (in which case you're SOL ;) ).

Your county will have a wetland coordinator - start with them. But remember, you need the swamp access to manage your timber! Under the silvicultural exemption there's no sf limit, and no permit fees.

Given your location and the proximity of the neighbors'....I don't think I'd roll the dice on doing it without a permit.

^ Yep. Agreed. I just don't want any friction with my neighbors or with those in power on this stuff. Life is short......I'm gonna keep legal on this....or not at all. The other thing is lots of the area water-shed goes into the Whitefish Chain of lakes. Folks here are adamant about keeping those lakes pristine. Beautiful places to spend some time on those lakes. I am in that camp too.

I realize this may have little or no impact on the "chain".....but what if everybody messed with our wetlands as they see fit? o_O

Im only 38 but this weather makes me feel 50.

Yeah, I am 26 so it looks like it was probably 10+ years to the next youngest guys.

You'll want a "notice of determination" on your no-loss exemption. The wetlands person does this. It's all legit.

Yeah, I am 26 so it looks like it was probably 10+ years to the next youngest guys.

As an old boss of mine used to say: "Hell.....I got hemroids older than you!".

(that boss's name was Jack Earp.....and his uncle was none other than Wyatt Earp. True story.)

Not to worry West Branch.....we were all younger at one time too. Glad you were here!! Your always welcome in this company. :)

Last edited:
You guys need to listen to old MBC. Stop talking permits, stop talking to anyone about what you want to do, and just do it!

Or you can start farming, fill out a 1026 form at the FSA office which allows you to do anything you want in life, and then build your road across that little spot!.......just sayin!:D

We had talked about putting hay bales out in the swamp. On the drive home I was thinking about the bale buster we used to use for cow bedding. Some of the ones they have for construction site mulching can shoot 1,000 feet. You would still need to be able to get somewhat close to the area. With the spout in this video you could also make some islands in a swamp. This would probably work best if you knew a guy who had the equipment, probably would not be cost effective to hire someone for a few bales.

I know I mentioned it to a couple people, we had a pipeline come through our area and some guys got a hold of the hardwood mats used for wetland crossings after the pipeline company was done (not sure if everything was on the up and up) and they used them for some swamp crossing roads.

http://www.pipelineskidservice.com/Laminated_Mats.php

Just a few more miles of trails and a few wide spots in the pines eh? ;)

I have to say Foggy, that is one sweet trail system! But if build anyone more trails, you may get an intervention!;)

Some ANFO would bust bales up easy enough. I bet MBC could get you what ya need. :D

I'm trying to get some mats like that built this winter, and will remove them when my boardwalk is done. I got a bigger chainsaw last week to mill with.

I'm only 24, does that make me the youngest?