Land Tour at Foggy's Place

MBC, thanks for the seed, I’ll give you credit next year if I nail the big one.
Yeah hopefully we are all killing deer off our MBC plots next year. Pretty cool guy to show up with bags of seed to hand out. I feel bad i didn't bring anything with to share.

And BTW, I could not have met a nicer group of guys! And I mean that! It was a lot of fun! Foggy, thanks for everything!

Looks like all had a good time. Wish I could have made it. Sure would be nice to put a face to the name.

I had mt dew, and figured I missed the boat, so I tried getting some work done here.

Foggy,

Here is the solution to all your property problems. I bet you could make your own pancakes in one of these babies.

Next season after all the stands have been given out, you can pull this out and park it right where you want it. Maybe on that new 80 we stood on.:D

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/spo/4777693982.html

Nice Santa's Sleigh ... why aren't those big oxes towing that sled? :)

Hopefully you guys enjoyed the day regardless of the weather, always good to be outdoors this time of year ... more pics of the crew and a recap of suggestions made would be appreciated ...

Foggy,

Here is the solution to all your property problems. I bet you could make your own pancakes in one of these babies.

Next season after all the stands have been given out, you can pull this out and park it right where you want it. Maybe on that new 80 we stood on.:D

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/spo/4777693982.html
Yep. Maybe Dr Suess would hunt with me? Looks like somthing out of one of his books.

Great group of guys. Fun to show my property. Got a few good ideas on issues that have been on the back burner for a long time. Thanks to all that attended. Thanks to Mo for some seed and I have some great Jelly I'm gonna spread on toast in the morning. Fun day.....even if I don't Multi-task too well.

View attachment 3180 View attachment 3181

Art is sitting in the front of the trailer trying to collect fees for a ride. He said he would be the team photographer.....we'll see. ;) Riding on the trailer and golf cart worked pretty well. Brooks was the co-pilot....and he and I had heat in cab. :D
I was trying to figure out what was going on in that cab!

Thanks, Tom for the great time.

Thanks to John for the seed and to Tad for the Jelly.

Nice Santa's Sleigh ... why aren't those big oxes towing that sled? :)

Hopefully you guys enjoyed the day regardless of the weather, always good to be outdoors this time of year ... more pics of the crew and a recap of suggestions made would be appreciated ...
Three things I took away from today.
1, There may be a way to make a "road" across my swamp. I need to do some leg work with SWCD office and talk with folks.
2. I need to harvest about 30 acres of Red Pine and get some new regen to replace it.
3. Consider a few acres of corn and beans in the central part of my land.....then seed a brasica mix into it in late summer.

IF I was not getting so old, I should consider buying more land which abuts mine. Sadly.....I cannot reverese my age. :)

Any other ideas are welcome.

IMG_9118.JPG Tom has done a ton of work at turning a chunk of Potlatch pine timber land into a great piece of property. We had great discussion of regrowth and also were trying to determine why regrowth was good in some areas and IMG_9114.JPG not in others.

I was trying to figure out what was going on in that cab!

Thanks, Tom for the great time.

Thanks to John for the seed and to Tad for the Jelly.
IMG_9115.JPG

Make that corn/bean plot as big as you can. I still think you would benefit by defining your bedding areas more clearly with hinge cutting.

Foggy - Thanks for the tour and all the efforts you put into it. It was a lot of fun seeing your place. Very nice place which you should be very proud of.

Thanks for the good fellowship, foodplot seed and jam. I can't wait to plant the food plots come spring with seed from MOBuck and eat some plum jam provided by West Branch.

Once again thanks for all the fun guys and good luck with harvesting all those pine trees Tom.

Long day leaving at 7:00 am and getting home at about 6:30 (with a couple stops on the way home to keep my wife happy) but well worth it!

Thanks again for hosting foggy and it was great to meet a bunch of you other guys. It was nice to see the lay of some different hunting land and the work done there. I did a lot more listening than talking. A lot of guys with habitat experience there.

Thanks to MBC for the seed!

Make that corn/bean plot as big as you can. I still think you would benefit by defining your bedding areas more clearly with hinge cutting.
I agree I would selectively harvest those pines only where you want the deer to bed. Just think now you are only down to 20 acres of pines to harvest. ;)

The tour was very worthwhile for me when we discussed this wetland. Four or five people had experience and the ideas seemed to build from each other's experience and perspective. I encourage everyone to get together with a group of 4 or 5 habitat guys and learn from each other.
IMG_9120.JPG

Long day leaving at 7:00 am and getting home at about 6:30 (with a couple stops on the way home to keep my wife happy) but well worth it!

Thanks again for hosting foggy and it was great to meet a bunch of you other guys. It was nice to see the lay of some different hunting land and the work done there. I did a lot more listening than talking. A lot of guys with habitat experience there.

Thanks to MBC for the seed!

You can always tell the smart guys because they keep quiet! I'm in the other crowd. Nice to meet you and Riggs.

I agree I would selectively harvest those pines only where you want the deer to bed. Just think now you are only down to 20 acres of pines to harvest. ;)
Just a few more miles of trails and a few wide spots in the pines eh? ;)

One of Tom's stands overlooking the sugar beet patch and some more discussions.
IMG_9122.JPG IMG_9121.JPG

Looks like it was a great day. Wish I coulda been there.