Land Tour at Foggy's Place

Mo.....Is that JD 71 units? I'm gonna call.

No, but for $400 you can use it until you find what you want then sell it for $700 and cheapen up the price of the model 71!

lol OK, I'm game. Called the guy.....and waiting for him to call me back.

Just found an article on TBN about Marliss. Not much known about these.....but sounds like the same guy(?) that may have built this.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forgms/build-yourself/322060-marliss-corn-planter.html

Yep. Same locations from both sites. (what a sleuth. eh?)

Here are some of the questions you need to ask and hope he answers.

Is it his planter, or did he buy to resell?
If it is his, has he used it personally?
How does it work, anything to look out for?
Any parts recently replaced, if so why?
Does it come with any extra plates or metering devices for different sizes of corn and soybean seed?
How many gears/positions does it have to change seed population?
Last but not least, Tell him you are coming from 500 miles a way, will he take $300 cash to help you out?

^ Yep. Duly noted MO. This guy has a thread on Tractorbynet.....and he bought a buncha planter parts in a basket at an auction and made 2 planters from them. I will ask him those questions above and more. He sounds like a smart enough guy from the thread. Perhaps a bit homespun? I imagine he is keeping the better of the two he built for himself. Evidently Sukup bought the Marliss brand. But I am not sure Sukup is making any of their planing equipment and drills anymore from my research (?).

Those press wheels look like they are off an international.

^ Yep. Duly noted MO. This guy has a thread on Tractorbynet.....and he bought a buncha planter parts in a basket at an auction and made 2 planters from them. I will ask him those questions above and more. He sounds like a smart enough guy from the thread. Perhaps a bit homespun? I imagine he is keeping the better of the two he built for himself. Evidently Sukup bought the Marliss brand. But I am not sure Sukup is making any of their planing equipment and drills anymore from my research (?).

Very little to wear out on a 2 row planter as most never saw more than 5 acres a year for the most part. Parts are more available than you think if needed anyways. But don't tell him that. To him you want to tell him there are no dealers for parts so I am taking a chance when buying this thing. Work your magic Foggy!

Here's something you don't know. :D In the 70's I helped design and market an EZ Depth Attachment for international planters. John Deere had come out with the Max-emerge system.....and I helped to develop a set of press wheels to fit on the International Planters. The guy that owned the company screwed me over....and he sold out to a guy from ND and I really didnt follow what ever happened to the product. I sold lots of combine dividers and these wheels.....and was poised to make allot of commission in Spring......but the jerk had sold the company BEFORE he hired me.....so I was SOL. Lesson learned.....from the school of hard knocks. ;)

If I had a nickel for all the different products I developed over the years.....I'd buy that farm of yours in MO. ;).....and still have change left over. lol

Some of this stuff....I have just forgotten about. Use it....or lose it. ;)

Here's something you don't know. :D In the 70's I helped design and market an EZ Depth Attachment for international planters. John Deere had come out with the Max-emerge system.....and I helped to develop a set of press wheels to fit on the International Planters. The guy that owned the company screwed me over....and he sold out to a guy from ND and I really didnt follow what ever happened to the product. I sold lots of combine dividers and these wheels.....and was poised to make allot of commission in Spring......but the jerk had sold the company BEFORE he hired me.....so I was SOL. Lesson learned.....from the school of hard knocks. ;)

If I had a nickel for all the different products I developed over the years.....I'd buy that farm of yours in MO. ;).....and still have change left over. lol

I can read people pretty well after just one visit. With what I can gather, it leads me to believe if I had your money, I could burn mine!;)

Some of this stuff....I have just forgotten about. Use it....or lose it. ;)

I can tell you right away your first mistake, you were developing products for a tractor company that was about to go under at that time. Thank god J.I. Case had a soft heart for them! Should have been working with green!

I can tell you right away your first mistake, you were developing products for a tractor company that was about to go under at that time. Thank god J.I. Case had a soft heart for them! Should have been working with green!
Actually I was working for an attachment company. The guy was a smooth talking crook. He finally went bankrupt.....and should be in jail for all the folks he has screwed over in his lifetime. I learned allot working for guys such as him.....

The product I made was pretty slick.....but I don't think it caught hold too well. Basically I simplified an idea by another guy.....and made an aluminum extruded version and cut the cost so it was salable. It involved two press wheels on either side of the double disk openers. This idea was all the rage back in that time.....and we were merely adapting it to the multitude of IH planters that had been sold previous. Most of my roots were with Ford and Dearborn stuff.......never was an IH fan. Few remaining companies from my times.......most got bought /sold/ rebadged or otherwise went defunct. I moved on to greener pasturers in manufacturing. I think I had over 12 careers over time. Grin. No regrets. :)

Actually I was working for an attachment company. The guy was a smooth talking crook. He finally went bankrupt.....and should be in jail for all the folks he has screwed over in his lifetime. I learned allot working for guys such as him.....

The product I made was pretty slick.....but I don't think it caught hold too well. Basically I simplified an idea by another guy.....and made an aluminum extruded version and cut the cost so it was salable. It involved two press wheels on either side of the double disk openers. This idea was all the rage back in that time.....and we were merely adapting it to the multitude of IH planters that had been sold previous. Most of my roots were with Ford and Dearborn stuff.......never was an IH fan. Few remaining companies from my times.......most got bought /sold/ rebadged or otherwise went defunct. I moved on to greener pasturers in manufacturing. I think I had over 12 careers over time. Grin. No regrets. :)

12 careers? Roger that!

The one most memorable was repo-ing cars and trucks in the late 70's for a company called Postal Finance. Came very close to getting killed out side of Waldo's bar on north lyndale ave at 1 in the morning. It was a cadie that some brother did not want to let go back quite yet! I worked one year at this job and said, that was enough!

At the time I had never seen a pistol that shiny with that big of hole in the end of the barrel.

^ I can relate Mo. I was the insurance manger for the franchise division of National Car Rental Systems in Mpls at one time. Folks would rent their cars and not return them.....and there was little they could do as laws did not prevent this at that time. So, they hired guys to steal their cars back. I was a young dude with little kids at home.....and I think they gave you a set of keys and $50 to steal their cars back. I was just about to do this when a couple guys got shot by the car renters. So, I never got into that line of work. ;)

^ I can relate Mo. I was the insurance manger for the franchise division of National Car Rental Systems in Mpls at one time. Folks would rent their cars and not return them.....and there was little they could do as laws did not prevent this at that time. So, they hired guys to steal their cars back. I was a young dude with little kids at home.....and I think they gave you a set of keys and $50 to steal their cars back. I was just about to do this when a couple guys got shot by the car renters. So, I never got into that line of work. ;)

Yep, I learned in a hurry how to hook a car and drag it down the road a mile in 15 seconds. Then I would get out and hook it up correctly and pop it into neutral. I got caught under a car and It just took one time of getting the piss pounded out of me to get a little smarter.

The best repo guys are dirtier than their targets.