Land Prices - down?

I have some zone 4 cocoa trees that are now 6 years old.

There is ZERO incentive, and in fact a sizable tax liability each year, to owning just deer hunting land in MN.

We pay a $1500 "lease" annually to the state to keep our deer hunting land.
Its really pathetic to think of it that way, but its true. Sad to think what the increases will be in the years ahead.

We pay a $1500 "lease" annually to the state to keep our deer hunting land.
Its really pathetic to think of it that way, but its true. Sad to think what the increases will be in the years ahead.
Yep, I pay the same for mine. If Minnesota gets anymore greedy I may just up and sell. If it wasn't for family and love for doing the habitat stuff I'd probably of sold it already.

Last edited:
Yep. At first I was excited about owning some more land.....now I've cooled my jets. Hell......MO may need a new neighbor down there some day. ;)

As someone who really thought they wanted to buy MN land, this is a depressing thread. :(

Makes a guy think twice.

I hear what everyone is saying, but the flip side to this is owning land in another state, I would not get to use it or do work on it as I would want. At least for the near future.

I would be sitting at home disappointed that I am not able to go enjoy the land as much as I would want to. Obviously that could change some day, but at this time, I have a handful of years before I can even think of running out of state several times a year to hunt or manage a property. At least up here, I can go to it often, whether its midweek or weekends and for short day runs even.

Last night I was perusing a couple of websites.....looking at recreational land for sale in NC MN. Appears that land prices continue to go down and this has been the trend for a few years.

Not sure about other parts of the US when it comes to recreational land? I don't think there is enough "new wealth" to support higher prices any time soon.

But.....I am so out of touch with the work-a-day world and what is really taking place. All I know is what I read in the papers.....or on a website. ;)

Ideas on land values?

I'm always watching and Prices seem to be stagnant in my area. I have seen many of the same farms on the market for a couple years now.

I think somthing is gonna have to give when it comes to recreational land lending in the future in order to make things move. My generation does not do well when it comes to saving money. Everything is a payment or deduction. Seems like every industry has developed a clever sales pitch in working their way into your monthly expenses. Before people know it their paycheck to paycheck. And I don't know how people can afford anything with these auto prices 35k for a new truck:/

That's called the genetic lottery. Short of going out on your own and being wildly successful right off the bat, simply doing all the right things and being relatively successful won't get a guy even close today. And new trucks aren't $35k anymore. You may get a featureless under powered base model 2WD at that price. But not much else.

^^^I don't know how young people ever get ahead today, unless their parents are able to help them out.

There be gold in those hills. Always was. Still is.

The only way I'd buy anymore land in MN is if I could convince a neighbor to separate off about 10 acres on this side of the road from the rest of his property on the other side. I'd buy that chunk just for self-protection.
I'm working on a similar situation. There is 40 acres on my west boundary I am working on buying but only because it borders my place and has a very large pond on it. Still, the price has to be right or no deal.

In my case I did not buy my land just for deer hunting. I also wanted it for a place to enjoy Pheasant/Turkey hunting, local fishing and as a hobby farm when I retire. If I wanted just good deer hunting I would probably lease out of state. If you have a buddy you can share lease expenses with you can lease a place for about what you pay Minnesota taxes on and the hunting is much better. When I retire there is a good chance I will be leasing deer land someplace in addition to owning my current place.

As someone who really thought they wanted to buy MN land, this is a depressing thread. :(

Makes a guy think twice.

OK.....so here's one thing I have learned over time. When everyone else is singing the blues.....and it appears that things are "bad". ........then that's the time to belly up to the bar and lay your money down. I've done it in business, in the stock market, and in real estate.......and these times are no different (I hope) than the times we have done this program in the past. You just need some patience and pererverence......and a good plan. If your young.....interest rates are historically low. Go for that brass ring.....and keep the faith brother! :) (the American dream lives on! :D)

It's been said: "This too shall pass". and that is true today as it ever was.

Waupaca county ag/hardwood is now 5-6k/acre. Cedar swamp is 3k/acre.
For the deer you have, 3k for swamp isn't a terrible price.

We are considering approaching our neighbor about buying some of his land, looking at 1k to 1.5k per acre.

^^^I don't know how young people ever get ahead today, unless their parents are able to help them out.

They won't!, coming out of school being taught they are entitled.

I was a young guy once with no money and floating in and out of jail. No chance of any inheritance cause the old man died dead broke. All a kid has to do is work 3 fricken jobs like some of us have for 25 years and It all comes together. But not many kids willing to work that hard. Oh Well!

^ I hear that MO. Been through many of those times too.....and somewhat agree with what you say. But, because we had it rough does not make those without bad experiences less able to succeed. Otherwise you and I would hold no candle to those folks that built the pyramids ......died of famine.....or rowed ships for a living.....etc, etc.

We can all learn from the past.....without living the past (or so I hope). Nobody should have to grow up the way I did. :)

So you believe the deer herd will rebound pretty much across the board? Or that rec land values will go up enough to make it worth buying now? Or both? Or something else?

I really don't know. But I do know that things "cycle" and often what we fear today....will be tommorows good fortune. Good timing, a little insight, and some perseverance are wonderful teachers. :) Mostly the perseverance.....IMO.

Yeah I agree MNfish. I really enjoy owning land in MN. Very attached. Although the deer hunting may be better in other states, I like it here. No chance I'm moving!

Maybe a good time to buy in certain parts of the state?

^ And so we come full circle again. One mans pain is another mans fortune. ;)

Prices are on the decline in NE as well, both for ag and rec land but sales seem to be stagnant. Rec land near population centers jumped with price of ag land so they have to drop a ways to look even doable for most people. My friend who farms in western IA says the same about his area.

Molandowner, Kids aren't taught in school the sense of entitlement, they already come to school with it. The kids I see that are most successful no matter the socioeconomic status are the one's who's parents(both parents are in the picture, even if divorced, however there are some single parent exceptions) hold them accountable for their actions, have them get jobs during school year/summer and/or are involved in extracurricular activities that involve teamwork, dedication, and sacrifice to achieve goals and also do volunteer work.

Waupaca county ag/hardwood is now 5-6k/acre. Cedar swamp is 3k/acre.
And a $5k/acre it is nothing special for crop land/yields compared to other areas in WI. Definitely getting pricey. The closer you get to Fox Cities/Green Bay/Hwy 41 the price just keeps jacking up. Will be interesting to see what a couple of pieces down the road from me sell for in Oct, all crop land fields with no buildings 91 acres and 71 acres. North of Appleton about 8 miles but not too far from Hwy 41 or County S (major good roads and loads of truck traffic) Heard from my cousin (farmer in Waupaca County) that big farm operations are really driving the price up on the other side of Freedom too like $7K/acre. Easy access and big fields which mean you don't have to turn that monster tractor around too much. Wow farmland is still crazy even with corn/beans coming way down