Keep gravel drive weed free

Pramitol needs to be watered in shortly after applying/spraying. Best to apply before a light rain.

That's why I asked previously if it had been watered in.
Amen

I built a 56 in land plane for my jd 1025. I just make a couple passes every now and then when needed

You will find granular pre-emergents work better on gravel/rock driveways. Too much of the liquid pre-emergent dries on the rocks and becomes inactive as far as I can tell prior to ever reaching the soil.

Sahara/Mojave mixed with AMS and gly. Just paint the ground doesn't need saturation. After a couple seasons the weeds start to really thin out. Apply 1-2 times per year depending on precipitation. Just put it down last week. Spendy but the labor component is more in our case. We are spraying about 10 acres of gravel.

You will find granular pre-emergents work better on gravel/rock driveways. Too much of the liquid pre-emergent dries on the rocks and becomes inactive as far as I can tell prior to ever reaching the soil.
Now we are really getting down into the weeds! I will give you a little wiggle room on the idea that a pre-emergent might become inactive (or maybe just ineffective) if left on the surface but I don't think rocks have much to do with it. Yes, any pre-emergent left on top of the soil will be degraded over time by the sun and other climatic factors., How much breakdown depends on the chemical structure of the herbicide. All pre-emergent herbicides need to be IN the soil to be effective - to stop seed germination at the source. Rainfall as noted above, twice by homerj, is needed to finish the application. Or, incorporation by mechanical means will accomplish the same thing. Liquid or granular? From my limited view I think either will do and the choice to use one or the other is a matter of convenience. In the time before gly resistant crops all herbicides had to be incorporated, either by rain or by someone on a disc pulling tractor rolling behind the spray rig when expected rainfall was far away.

I spray gly mixed with 2,4D and then harrow the driveway with a chain harrow. I do it once a year in the summer. It helps keep gravel on top instead of decayed leaves and moss that the weed seeds seem to like to grow in.

Another good topic you brought up, how do yall keep gravel looking fresh between having to buy loads to dress it?

Another good topic you brought up, how do yall keep gravel looking fresh between having to buy loads to dress it?

Are you using limestone? I had one gravel drive for 15 years, and one for 6, both out of limestone and have never had to top dress them.

Are you using limestone? I had one gravel drive for 15 years, and one for 6, both out of limestone and have never had to top dress them.
Yeah limestone. I don’t install it but I think it’s about 4 years old. It’s sunken into dirt in places so I was going to attempt to revive it to delay dressing. I have a box blade with scarifiers, but I never use the thing. I’m assuming that would be the tool for that.

Yeah limestone. I don’t install it but I think it’s about 4 years old. It’s sunken into dirt in places so I was going to attempt to revive it to delay dressing. I have a box blade with scarifiers, but I never use the thing. I’m assuming that would be the tool for that.
They most likely didnt put down some 1 1/2 or bigger crushed rock for a base before they laid the presumably 3/4" gravel.

The box blade should work well to get it back up and clean. My parents use a grader blade and their drive always looks great.

I put 48 tons of fresh on mine this spring and could use another 24 tons. Got to admit it looks really nice to have fresh on top!

Yep, the box blade will work if you have ridges forming. The limestone should slowly break up to form a nice tight fit and good surface.

Depending on your rock parent material where you live. If you have limestone the AB-3 grade works nicely on relatively flat surfaces. Packs down pretty tight and therefore sheds the water decently. I would not suggest it for sloping ground though, rains will wash it out.

This seems like a perfect job for a weed burner. Organic growing operations use them for weed control, and it is best timed when plants are seedlings. Production units are a bit pricy, but they shouldn’t be too hard to put together yourself.

27b79104212f48a7627c685a5052dae7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I built a 56 in land plane for my jd 1025. I just make a couple passes every now and then when needed

Or this… a land plane and some somewhat regular passes would absolutely take care of the weeds. And, you’d have the smoothest driveway in town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk