JD 246 or JD Van Brunt for food plots

ACCMan

5 year old buck +
I have a Van Brunt FB137A I have restored for food plots. I found a JD 246 that is in excellent shape but don't have any experience with them. It seems more universal, by changing plates you can plant corn, soybeans, millet, or sunflowers. It is 3 pt hitch, but only plants 2 rows at a time, so slower, but my plots are small. On the flip side I could use it in my garden. Anyone that has used a 246 that can give me any advice?

I have a Van Brunt FB137A I have restored for food plots. I found a JD 246 that is in excellent shape but don't have any experience with them. It seems more universal, by changing plates you can plant corn, soybeans, millet, or sunflowers. It is 3 pt hitch, but only plants 2 rows at a time, so slower, but my plots are small. On the flip side I could use it in my garden. Anyone that has used a 246 that can give me any advice?

I have a 246 planter and have used is for the past 10 yrs or so, it does a great job. Mine has the disc openers some have shoes for opening the ground. You just have to be sure to use the right seed plates for the particular seed and seed size. I only use mine for corn and soybeans. Keep it greased, cleaned and it will last you a long time. Good luck.

I used a 246 for many years. All modern planters now are plateless , so seed is not related to a particular plate anymore. The seed varies in size and shape. The best you can do is run a handful of seed through the planter with different plates and if you can get most through without smashing the seed and a good rate you’ll be ok for food plots.

I have actually found a JD 71 and will pick it up tomorrow. Its a 2 row in great shape. All parts are still available for the 71's through Yetter Co, so it was a no brainer to go with the 71.