J-birds place

I just threw a weed whacked in a dumpster. I have bad memories of weed whacking electric fence that guarded 3 acres of trees. I’ll use one at home but I don’t ever want one at the farm again :)

speaking of dumpsters. There is no where to take your trash here in this part of MO. You burn it, store it, bury it or throw it in a ditch. I’m not throwing it in a ditch or burying it....

I ordered a 10 yard dumpster to clean up. They were out of 10 yarders and brought me a 20 yarder for the same price. Shame on them, I’m going to fill it... I can’t believe how clean my shop is!
Oh I have had my run-in with weed whackers! Not sure if it's in this thread r not, but I had one at home that I went round and round with and I finally smashed it on the ground a few times like a giant hammer and then once I was exhausted form that I then, pulled the fuel cap off and got it good and covered and set it on fire right there in the drive way! My new weed wacker is actually a clearing saw and a nice one. Its much easier to use and even starts!

So I planted my "summer cover crop" since my corn was a disaster (probably more my fault than anything). 5 lbs berseem clover, 5 lbs balsana clover and for flavor a 3.5 lbs of antler king "slam dunk". I disced the plots, broadcast the mixed seed and then packed with the tractor tires. Now I hope we get some rain that appears to be coming....

So typically I'm not a fan of BOB seed, but at times for a trial or a something a little different I'll try something like this. The main thing that interested me was that it had buckwheat, peas, radish and rape in it. I was getting feedback that buckwheat is nearly bullet proof and that mid june planting of some brassica can create some huge bulbs....so what the hell.....we will see, it was $20. I added a splash of PTT in as well. I figure I might as well experiment a little bit and see what happens....might as well the most of the opportunity.

Here is the BOB seed and tag
slam dunk.jpg

Here is my outlook for rain.....please, please rain....
rain.jpg

Well not only did the summer cover crop fail, but I have since nuked it as well as all i had was foxtail and pigweed growing. I'l plant a traditional fall plot around labor day. We did have some excitement over the weekend.....turns out you can make a corolla fly....

Well not only did the summer cover crop fail, but I have since nuked it as well as all i had was foxtail and pigweed growing. I'l plant a traditional fall plot around labor day. We did have some excitement over the weekend.....turns out you can make a corolla fly....

That looked fun!!!

Radiator leaking?

Radiator leaking?
Nope....no leaks and drove away! It did push the lower core support back, but radiator is still intact. I got a corolla I'll sell ya!

More of an update for my purposes more than anything.... So my spring planting of corn was crap....and my summer cover crop was....crap.....so today I planted my fall plots (hopefully 3rd times the charm).

I have about 1.5 acres in plots....Today I row planted 50 lbs of AWP and then broadcast 3 lbs of PTT, 4 lbs of berseem clover and 5 lbs of crimson clover. I will broadcast the bushel of WW a bit later. I have $92 in seed. I plowed last weekend and disced, and then disced again today prior to using my 2 row 309 plate planter for the AWP. The "plan" is that this will provide fall food with the crimson clover and AWP, winter food with the winter wheat and AWP and then some spring food with the winter wheat, any AWP that makes it and the berseem clover. With the plan of that carrying into summer enough to be able to then plow down and start all over again next August/September. We will see how it goes I guess.....

Here is my SW plot....you can see the shooting house project in the back left and my planting rig in the plot. If you see the planting rows I planted in different directions to try to get an even planting. I just used my corn plate (I tested it to see if it would work) to ensure I was able to get the peas to cover the plots.
SW.jpg

Here is my North plot....same concept.... You can see I had one decent row of corn so I left it to serve as some sort of screen. I packed some areas and didn't other to see if it makes any difference.
North.jpg

Now I just need some rain.....

When you get rain send it north west..

Well I was out checking on things and found something very disappointing.....

This was a thriving northern red oak last year! Not sure what happened, but it's dead now! It had plenty of sun....I have not had a chance to take a closer look.....I fear it may be a lightening strike.
dead oak.jpg

This is the MG I planted as a plot screen from home grown rhizomes as well. They are on average about waist tall....should do the trick for me as long as they don't get mistaken as Johnson grass and sprayed! I may need a sign.....
corner plot MG.jpg

Otherwise I'm still waiting on some rain.....

I did get the windows for the new shooting house, but my truck went down last friday....blew a line on my water pump...and have some sort of "gunk" in the cooling system so I have not had a chance to get the metal for it. The brown fluid that came out was a BAD sign! Hopefully I get the truck back soon (doing it myself with my boys help...first we got the wrong radiator, then we broke the thermostat housing AND the crank position sensor) and I can get the metal and get it all done this week and weekend.

Running out of time here as season opens 10/1 for bow.

Running out of time here as season opens 10/1 for bow.

yes you are..if it makes you feel any better I’m way behind to. I wanted to get some new stands up but haven’t had the help to. Guess we’ll put them up in September to use next year..

I did manage to get the fall plots planted and they are starting to germinate... row planted on 30 inch centers the awp and has to make 2 passes. Peoples say you can’t plant small plots of awp.... due to my low deer numbers I am looking to proved them wrong.
F20173D1-B397-407C-97A9-BA06F7378EB9.jpeg
I also finally got one of the new shooting houses pretty well done.... windows in and metal hung.... also looks a lot nicer and hopefully last a lot longer than the previous.690C598F-367D-4649-9F6E-994E18C6A275.jpeg

Plot looks awesome J-bird. Looks like the perfect diamonds to give to the ladies in your life. So does the blind. Good luck this season.

Plot looks awesome J-bird. Looks like the perfect diamonds to give to the ladies in your life. So does the blind. Good luck this season.
I was just trying to put seed in the ground.....I used a corn plate vs a bean plate in my planter to ensure I had enough seed and thus had to make the extra passes in some cases. Not a big deal.....I am curious to see how the AWP does and how the deer take to it.....

That box actually makes it look like you know what you’re doing :emoji_laughing:

I did manage to get the fall plots planted and they are starting to germinate... row planted on 30 inch centers the awp and has to make 2 passes. Peoples say you can’t plant small plots of awp.... due to my low deer numbers I am looking to proved them wrong.

I also finally got one of the new shooting houses pretty well done.... windows in and metal hung.... also looks a lot nicer and hopefully last a lot longer than the previous.View attachment 31721

Finally, you are actually constructing something that makes sense ... no crappy just available farm materials and OSB. Make sure you put little vents and the base wall and upper (2") vents at the peaks. When the sun rises and it heats up, then cold comes in at night, those vents will reduce moisture build-up inside from those windows.

You will be amazed at this style of construction and your comfort...

Like seeing the metal also. From my experience, squirrels eat a wood blind for breakfast. Probably mentioned oft, but consider hanging curtains (for concealment).

That box actually makes it look like you know what you’re doing :emoji_laughing:
It was the first time I have ever worked with metal like this before..... it shows and it got better as I went..... function first.

Finally, you are actually constructing something that makes sense ... no crappy just available farm materials and OSB. Make sure you put little vents and the base wall and upper (2") vents at the peaks. When the sun rises and it heats up, then cold comes in at night, those vents will reduce moisture build-up inside from those windows.

You will be amazed at this style of construction and your comfort...
Yep... we stepping up from using scrap pile materials to trying to fake it pretty good. I have been giving the ventilation issue some thought before I seal it up. Each build I find better ways to do things. I think the metal will really pay off over time. Ventilation with scent control seems to be a tough balance....

Like seeing the metal also. From my experience, squirrels eat a wood blind for breakfast. Probably mentioned oft, but consider hanging curtains (for concealment).
I have had the issues with the tree rats and I will add curtains and I am even considering even really dark window tint on the upper halves of the windows as well.

Yep... we stepping up from using scrap pile materials to trying to fake it pretty good. I have been giving the ventilation issue some thought before I seal it up. Each build I find better ways to do things. I think the metal will really pay off over time. Ventilation with scent control seems to be a tough balance....

2" round soffit vents work well

1600256141481.png