J-birds place

Well....our "mild" winter was interrupted over the weekend. It is supposed to warm back up to above freezing the rest of the week, but we had a few days of highs that never broke freezing. I spent the weekend under my truck with my boy replacing leaf-springs (had a case of "saggy butt" - broken driver side leaf spring). Springs, shackles and rear hangers......I also think it's about 10 lbs lighter from all the rust we knocked off (but that happens when it's a '96). I also found out that I am getting too old for the contortion needed to do such things.....and it being cold doesn't help. Felt like I was beat with a stick!

Well....our "mild" winter was interrupted over the weekend. It is supposed to warm back up to above freezing the rest of the week, but we had a few days of highs that never broke freezing. I spent the weekend under my truck with my boy replacing leaf-springs (had a case of "saggy butt" - broken driver side leaf spring). Springs, shackles and rear hangers......I also think it's about 10 lbs lighter from all the rust we knocked off (but that happens when it's a '96). I also found out that I am getting too old for the contortion needed to do such things.....and it being cold doesn't help. Felt like I was beat with a stick!

Laying on the ground in the cold beating on steel isn’t for old people :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Laying on the ground in the cold beating on steel isn’t for old people :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
no its not...but since it was my truck....I felt I needed to contribute more than just the coin for the parts. I don't mind doing it...winter is just a bad to for those sorts of jobs.

From someone who handles MG more regularly on storage have them in a “cool storage location but not where it will freeze//unthaw//refreeze multiple times until planting within the year. Periodic watering of the material will need to take place. Once a week of so on the watering (Keep them moist) not not so wet where they rot.” He did also say however that planting them right away would be best. Figured I’d pass along

From someone who handles MG more regularly on storage have them in a “cool storage location but not where it will freeze//unthaw//refreeze multiple times until planting within the year. Periodic watering of the material will need to take place. Once a week of so on the watering (Keep them moist) not not so wet where they rot.” He did also say however that planting them right away would be best. Figured I’d pass along
I dug them and planted them in the same day.....I figured that would be best.

So the neighbors place is being logged. Lots of the tree tops are showing signs of browse.....mostly hard maple. They don't allow hunting so I think in the short term this will be a great little area of cover for the deer to call home.....And I will sit and wait for them to come out! Normally I try to not stick my nose across the fence....but the placed needed logged and I really expect the deer to respond once the cover comes in now that the sunlight will hit the ground. This is my view looking in from the fence line.
neighbors.jpg

I pulled cams yesterday and most bucks are still holding (at least as of 3/11). No bucks of real mention... just young yearlings and the like, which is typical for me.

I did get some pruning done.....my young crab apples needed trimmed up so they grow UP and not out and my older apples just needed to be thinned. I got more apples coming soon as well.....

I have been working on some of my CRP and need to do some strip discing. Got some cool season grass coming in so I will spray some gly first. Will probably sprinkle in some switchgrass seed as well in a few places.

Spring is on the way.....I have daffodils blooming in the front of the house!

Got out and did some social distancing yesterday between rain showers.... I spread some left over wheat seed into my plots....we will see what happens. I noticed the cool season grasses are showing signs of life.....so I need to spray them soon as well. Added a little switchgrass seed to a plot screen as well so we will see how that turns out.

Our daffodils bloomed about a week ago. It’s here ready or not.

Our daffodils bloomed about a week ago. It’s here ready or not.
Yep - mine have as well.....the grass in the yard is green also.....that means I'll have to start mowing at some point.....not something I look forward to.

Well as part of my companies corona virus plan....I have been working from home for a week+ now and am required to take Wednesday's off as vacation days. So, I took advantage yesterday and got outside and got some work done.....

Sprayed my buffers for cool season grasses.....the kids are home from school and needed to get outside so I put the youngest to work. Plan will be to disc these areas maybe over the weekend....give it some time to dry up a bit and let the gly do it's thing as well. I'll sprinkle in a little switchgrass for good measure as well.
emma spray.jpg

While Emma was out spraying I looked over some of my plots and the like.....the deer didn't eat all the turnips and they are starting to grow again..... I don;t have a lot of them like this, but I do have a few. I figure they will bolt in a few weeks and begin to turn to mush and stink!
turnip.jpg

I got 2 different tree orders coming my way as well....one from Turkey Creek (apples) and another from Chestnut Hill (chestnuts and persimmons).....so I will be filling up my "orchards" as well here shortly. May have to put my helper to work for that project as well.

Spring is at least here to some capacity....the daffodils in front of the house are in full bloom and the dogs kicked up 2 woodcock as well. They tend to visit my place during their migration but don't stay. Goofy looking little birds....

I posted these in the vernal pools thread as well...but thought I would put these here as well. I have an area that likes to hold water when we get decent amounts of rain and in the spring time the frogs really seem to like it. It is a natural low spot you can see on the sat maps from when the creek floods in the spring and has eroded a low spot over time. I was clearing out all the cottonwood and the like and figured the brush may be helpful to some of them amphibious critters out there. Some brush piles are right on the edge of the water....some are right in the water. It's about knee deep, roughly 10 yards wide and maybe 100 yards long. Only real issue I have is that the stilt grass loves these wet areas and me and stilt grass don't get along. The surrounding area will be weeds and swithgrass later in the year. I am sure the stumps of the cottonwood will sprout as well and that is fine...
pool 1.jpg
pool 2.jpg

What do you think your coldest lows were this winter? To not kill off the radishes.

What do you think your coldest lows were this winter? To not kill off the radishes.
I'm not sure.....I know we certainly hit freezing. Actual temps probably down to the zero range. We don't tend to get a blanket of snow either. Most of those now have flowers that are standing 3 foot tall or so.

Was at it again this weekend. I finished up my CRP work....buffers mowed, sprayed and disced (with a little extra switchgrass tossed in for good measure). I got some trees planted (still a few more to do). I planted 5 chestnut whips and a grafted Morse persimmons all from chestnut hill and I planted 2 of my 8 apples from Turkey creek as well. I know where they are going, just got to get the some protection! I also planted some of my swamp white oak acorns as well and was on the hunt for jap bush honeysuckle and found more than I care to report....but the clearing saw took care of those I could find. 1 section down a few more to go!

It was an interesting weekend. We moved the battle wagon to the shooting range for the summer.....it's now at 200 yards from the backstop. We saw roughly a dozen turkeys and a brute of a tom (so my boy is chomping at the bit to be able to go after it). I pulled may cam cards and was surprised by the number of deer I have hitting a mineral site. Oh, and for anyone who says coons won't eat deer pellets...YOU ARE WRONG. I tried my hand at feeding some deer pellets (only the pellets) and I had 300 pics of nothing but constant coon activity eating it....they ate the entire 50 pound bag over the coarse of 2 weeks. I think I had 1 deer pic.

Only antler I saw on my 3 cams....3/22....later than I had thought!
still holding.jpg

Here is the mineral site.... I counted at least 10 deer in the video....this is just a screen capture. There is a wheat field nearby and green-up is starting here so the deer are starting to hit the salt. I have NEVER captured this many deer in on cam pic/video before so this is pretty exciting.....
deer.jpg

Sounds like it was a good weekend jbird. That buck looks like a good up and comer!

Sounds like it was a good weekend jbird. That buck looks like a good up and comer!
Thanks Swiffy.....We will see if the buck sticks around or not. I typically do not have the cover to hold bucks on my property so most only visit....but time will tell.

Some other tasks I have been addressing and other updates....
We moved the "battle wagon" to the shooting range for the summer. 200 yards from the backstop is where it sits now. The open area will
grow up in switchgrass (which is popping out of the ground already).
wagon moved.jpg

addressed some standing water at a mineral site....lugging 5 gallon buckets of racks and sand/gravel from the creek sucks!
Before:
lick before.jpg
After:
lick after.jpg

Took a minute to enjoy the creek while taking a break....it was 70+ degrees out! Maggie needed a break too!!
spring creek.jpg
maggie.jpg

The woods are popping with color as well.....always liked the woods in the spring time....
flowers.jpg
flowers 2.jpg
flowers 3.jpg
flowers 4.jpg

Oh, and ever feel like you walked in on something? My grandfather used to use a phrase of "feeling froggy" all the time.....I hope this isn't what he meant!
feeling froggy.jpg

Well the line of storms that moved thru Wednesday night that had 60+ winds got me! The house and the important things are fine......my shooting houses....not so much!

The one in the SW is the oldest and is made from solid 2x construction....flipped over and twisted to the point it will need to be totally replaced.

SW2.jpg

The one up north...the tallest one.....yep....picked up and dumped as well.....the tower stood though! Another pile of lumber!!
N2.jpg

The battle wagon was the one I was most concerned about, we just got it built last year and we had just moved it....I was relieved when I saw the flag still waving....but was surprised what I found once I got closer.... The wind had pushed it off the support blocks and then pushed it roughly 15 feet! The 2 pieces of flagging tape you see where nearly touching before the storm.
BW2.jpg

So it looks like I got a couple of new shooting houses to get built.....and figure out how to keep them better secured to the ground!!

I got my Turkey Creek trees planted. I added a enterprise (B118), 2 Liberty (B118), a Yates (M7) and 2 Ark Black (B118) to my SW "orchard"..... I added a Yates and an Enterprise to my south bottom "orchard" as well. Trees where in great shape as always from TC. Spent some time addressing the cages of some of my other trees as well and giving them a little trim if I thought they needed it (mostly my chestnuts and sawtooths). Supposed to rain off and on the next week or so, so my timing should be pretty good as well.