Is your Sevin what you thought?

chickenlittle

5 year old buck +
I saw on another forum that Sevin has changed and what you buy at the store my not be carbaryl as you expected. The liquid ready to use or concentrate might have a new pesticide. Sevin is a brand name and the brand was bought by a company called Gardentech. They changed the formula to now use a pesticide called zeta-cypermethrin. Also, there were reports that the new stuff could kill some young plants - whoops. A number of upset reviews of the new formula on the gardentech website about killing their garden plants. The Sevin 5% dust powder still contains carbaryl for now. If you use the lawn granules, that has the new pesticide plus another ingredient. However, the liquid Sevin spray bottle I bought last week still had carbaryl.

I only use Sevin occasionally for aphids and Japanese beetles but I'll shop around before buying the new Sevin. If you are counting on using Sevin to thin apples next year, be sure what you have is carbaryl and not the new stuff.

https://citybugs.tamu.edu/2018/02/14/sevin-not-sevin/

It may be better than the old formula. I used the old formula and permethrin for comparison. Both were effective, but the permethrin lasted longer. I found I had to re-treat more frequently with the Sevin than with permethrin. Keep in mind, the permethrin I was using was not labeled for fruit trees. I'm sure that is related to the human consumption of fruit, not harm to the trees. I'm presuming that zeta-cypermethrin is a form of permethrin that has been tested and approved for use on fruit trees.

Thanks,

Jack