Lawn freaks

Speaking of hostas - and please don't laugh at this - there is a giant hosta called Empress Wu (claimed to be worlds largest) that I want to plant and cage for the summer; then, in late september, remove the cage and let the deer feast on it (hostas die back and have to be cut off at ground level). I'd put a small 8-10-inch high cage around the base of the plant so deer couldn't dig the roots out. Under present circumstances, if you prefer to avoid plants with oriental-sounding names, a second option is Big Daddy hosta (suggested 2'+ high and up to 4'+ wide (about half of Ms Wu).View attachment 29739
View attachment 29737 world's largest hosta .... 4-5' tall and 6-8' wide (claims made by seller)
These are shade loving plants that also love water.

I do like hostas!

I've got a hostas story....we have some that has been handed down through the family for five generations on my Moms side of the family. Whenever someone gets married we split some off and the newlyweds plant it at their new home and then transplant it whenever they move and carry on the tradition as they have kids and they one day marry.

We have two clumps of it that have moved with us many times!

eyCTQuf.jpg

Speaking of hostas - and please don't laugh at this - there is a giant hosta called Empress Wu (claimed to be worlds largest) that I want to plant and cage for the summer; then, in late september, remove the cage and let the deer feast on it (hostas die back and have to be cut off at ground level). I'd put a small 8-10-inch high cage around the base of the plant so deer couldn't dig the roots out. Under present circumstances, if you prefer to avoid plants with oriental-sounding names, a second option is Big Daddy hosta (suggested 2'+ high and up to 4'+ wide (about half of Ms Wu).View attachment 29739
View attachment 29737 world's largest hosta .... 4-5' tall and 6-8' wide (claims made by seller)
These are shade loving plants that also love water.

I do like hostas!

I've got a hostas story....we have some that has been handed down through the family for five generations on my Moms side of the family. Whenever someone gets married we split some off and the newlyweds plant it at their new home and then transplant it whenever they move and carry on the tradition as they have kids and they one day marry.

We have two clumps of it that have moved with us many times!

eyCTQuf.jpg
Cool tradition! I have some plants that are family heirlooms so to speak. They actually mean a lot to me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I watched two pregnant deer this morning out of my bedroom window. They must have eaten a hundred dandelions. You could tell they were seeking them out. These were tall ones that went to seed already.

Speaking of lawn, anyone know what this is? It's starting to show up in my lawn. It has small purple flowers. Thnx
796f93851500d57f89d52d8f80e4b28e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Speaking of lawn, anyone know what this is? It's starting to show up in my lawn. It has small purple flowers. Thnx
796f93851500d57f89d52d8f80e4b28e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Creeping Charlie

Use a special broadleaf herbicide containing either tricolpyr or dicamba on Creeping Charlie that has taken over your lawn—these chemicals will kill Creeping Charlie without harming your grass.