Choosing an implement to plant with

I disced one of the fields by my house this weekend and this is what it looks like as an example. View attachment 34143
That looks great. That is what my ground looks like AFTER the woods seeder has been on it. I would go straight into that with the firminator and a moderate disk angle. Not sure about the firminator, but with the woods seeder, it helps to throw a little dirt up to help cover the seed

I disced one of the fields by my house this weekend and this is what it looks like as an example. View attachment 34143
From a soil health perspective, less is better when it comes to tillage. Less frequent and less deep. So, when I use a disc, I set the blades pretty straight and go pretty fast. This makes for less aggressive tillage. There are cases where light tillage is needed, but the less I do it, the better nutrient cycling I get and the less fertilizer I need.

Thanks,

Jack

How many acres? I plan on planting 40-50 per year. At that size seed price per acre, efficiency, etc all become major factors.

Only about 20 a year but broken up in smaller sections. I used to till spread then lightly till again last several years we throw the beans and corn out out on the ground then till then in and call it good.

Fall grains eat tilled first then thrown over then packed in.

Usually a two man operation I spread dad tills. With that much acreage the Effeciency is probably worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk