After the shot - your experience

It turns out it was BOTH! Look closely on the right edge of the photo. I had put up a camera on what was left of the carcass.
20191120_132613.jpg

Cousin shot a monster deer yesterday at 8 am. He stays in the stand 2 hours, checks the arrow, good blood, and backs out. We pull up to the neighbors dogs by his stand. We start the track at noon. Great blood to start. 300 yards in the blood dies out. This place has a million deer. I walk a trail and find blood where it stepped over a log the size of a baseball. We find 3 more baseball sized spots and it stops. Never recover the deer. He is 25 ft high and the deer was 9 yards. I think he got a single lung. We trailed till dark and even brought in a dog.

That’s a hard one ks. They can be to close sometimes.

We did find a fresh shed antler on the trail from a smaller buck with a funky rack my cousin had been describing so it wasnt a total wash

The most important thing I could tell anyone about tracking and recovering deer is being patient and waiting the proper amount of time after the shot to track it.

This^^^^^^^^^^^

25' up is really high for a 9 yard shot. It would be really tough to hit both lungs at that angle. He shouldn't take that shot - either lower the stand or move the stand further back from the trail.

I learned that lesson by wounding deer with 1 lung shots and once I lowered my stands I had better luck. You just need to be a little more careful brushing in the stand since it is easier to get picked off by the deer at lower heights.

25' up is really high for a 9 yard shot. It would be really tough to hit both lungs at that angle. He shouldn't take that shot - either lower the stand or move the stand further back from the trail.

I learned that lesson by wounding deer with 1 lung shots and once I lowered my stands I had better luck. You just need to be a little more careful brushing in the stand since it is easier to get picked off by the deer at lower heights.
Problem is there is a trail every 5 ft. This place is unlike many others. Its so thick and so many deer you dont know which trail they will use. He will see 50 deer a sit. Less than 30 and something is wrong. Its a one of a kind property and absolutely incredible. This deer he thinks is 9 yrs old. Its only the secons time he had ever seen it on the hoof, and he will put in 40 sits a year on that property.

Problem is there is a trail every 5 ft. This place is unlike many others. Its so thick and so many deer you dont know which trail they will use. He will see 50 deer a sit. Less than 30 and something is wrong. Its a one of a kind property and absolutely incredible. This deer he thinks is 9 yrs old. Its only the secons time he had ever seen it on the hoof, and he will put in 40 sits a year on that property.
I would funnel them a little bit further from the stand, I hate having deer under me just increases the risk of getting busted. I have hinge a fence around several stands that deer would always up under and downwind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to give an update on the previous posts about luminol (aka Bloodglow).
A friend had disappointing results with it this season. I'd given him some packets with the expired activator and also instructions (from Jerry Allen) on how to substitute peroxide when the activator tablets have an expired shelf life. My friend mixed the luminol tablet and the peroxide with the recommended amount of windshield fluid. It made 24 oz. He could not find a glow along the trail where the wounded buck ran.
So I mixed up the same solution (expired activator, windshield fluid and peroxide, 24 oz total) and tested it on blood from a deer steak. I did have a glow but not a great one.

FFWD to this weekend and we did another test. Same mix ratio as Jerry recommended (with the peroxide). We got almost no glow. So, the next morning, we added another luminol tablet and a little more peroxide to the half used mix we already made and we returned to our mock blood trail. the glow was now quite substantial and easily seen and followed.

So, what our experiences this year prove, I can't say for sure. I am highly suspicious that the directions with the luminol may suggest a mix ratio that's a little weak. I'm not sure that the tablets mixed with 24 oz of fluid is strong enough. I also realize that the peroxide can work as a substitute for an expired activator tablet, but does it work as well as a fresh, un-expired activator tablet?? I don't know.
I have ordered a new package fro Jerry this morning. When it arrives, I will do some more tests with mock blood trails. I will keep you guys informed about the results.

I do still believe luminol is an effective tool for locating microscopic blood, but there does seem to be some mixed results at times. As always, this stuff is just another tool and is no substitute for ethical shots and solid blood trailing skills. But when the visible blood runs out or gets rained out, then luminol may mean the difference in finding or losing an animal.