What have you done to lighten the load at your camp?

Looks to be about the same as mine Foggy....time will tell.

Now I wonder if I’m gonna lose some height on my sweet clover too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree - Adding clovers to the brassicas is definitely the way to go...then broadcasting rye over the brassicas/clover a month or so after planting - gives you great early spring forage after the snow melts and another cover crop instead of bare dirt the next summer....and not too much of a hassle to have living roots in the soil for an entire year...

Terminate your cover crop...
View attachment 52584

Mix up your brassicas and a little clover seed...
View attachment 52585

Calibrate the drill and load up the small box...
View attachment 52586

Drill the seed (I don't use fertilizer anymore)...
View attachment 52587

Watch the brassicas germinate and grow...
View attachment 52588

A month or so after planting get your winter rye seed ready to go...
View attachment 52589

I like to "spot" pails of rye seed around the plot so I don't have to backtrack far to fill my Earthway spreader...
View attachment 52590

The following April 8th - Snow has melted - brassicas are long gone (see the radish holes?) - rye and clover are coming up to feed your deer and keep the soil covered...
View attachment 52591

May 14th...
View attachment 52592

June 16th - Another cover crop in preparation for your next planting - not really all that much of a hassle for a full year or more worth of forage...
View attachment 52593
If I come back as a wild animal, I want to live at your place. Beautiful.

If I come back as a wild animal, I want to live at your place. Beautiful.
LOL - Thanks rusty1034. I think you would be happy here, although if you are reincarnated as a big mature buck you may have to watch your P's & Q's....:)

I've basically eliminated planting food plots in the spring/summer. Poor quality sand and short growing season really handicaps what I can do. Lots more money in my pocket now and extra time for other chores. Late August planted winter rye and red clover feeds the deer and provides nutrition nearly year round with low cost and low maintenance. We had frost Sunday morning and it's damn dry already, yet my plots of full of 18" rye with 8" clover underneath.

I've basically eliminated planting food plots in the spring/summer. Poor quality sand and short growing season really handicaps what I can do. Lots more money in my pocket now and extra time for other chores. Late August planted winter rye and red clover feeds the deer and provides nutrition nearly year round with low cost and low maintenance. We had frost Sunday morning and it's damn dry already, yet my plots of full of 18" rye with 8" clover underneath.
^ Truth.