Hunting headaches

To answer your question I caught him in the act, and said it’s a one time deal. Next time it was a call to the warden.

Then I sold the farm and bought bigger... after another sale I now border Hillrunner in a completely different area and he’s a great neighbor!!

In mountain country property lines usually follow a ridge line or water way. So there fore regardless some of the best funnels will occur near property lines. I have one stand within 30 yds facing said line. And another about 60 yds away facing away. I've watched bucks on adjacent land and never made even a grunt. Wouldn't shoot unless on my place. But I do have excellent neighbors and no way would any of us be picky about tracking a shot deer on to adjacent land. Respect.
The only trouble I've ever had is with AEP crossing my fields with their dang trucks even tho ROW is at road. I took care of that problem quickly. Not my fault they have to climb a hill for access.
And as said by Cat, many of my stands are placed with back to direction I plan to shoot. So direction of plan placement may mean nothing. I mean they are just deer. If its a loss of sleep problem then put up a high fence and be happy.
I've never knew of anyone , or seen anyone on TV placing a stand with the back in the direction they plan to shoot, especially ladder stands like I was talking about... you learn something new every day. Even when I set a stand facing the main direction I THINK I'll get my best shot opportunity at...of course I'll end up shooting to my left, right...but don't recall ever shooting behind me, but I'm sure it could happen. I'm also Pretty sure if anyone has a stand with a shooting rest , they are facing the stand in the main direction they plan to shoot so they can use the rifle rest and not planning on shooting behind them...although of course it could happen, but it's not the plan. So when you're sitting with your back facing the main direction you plan to shoot....seems to me you would be constantly turning around all day making unnecessary movement and get a stiff neck instead of just looking straight ahead and scanning with your eyes to your left and right...and only turning around when you hear something behind you. I see nothing wrong with a stand 30 yards away and facing a property line at all Sir....that's a big difference from the 10 feet and 15 feet I was talking about.

I understand your frustration. I was perhaps too gruff but really not much to do about it unless he crosses the line. Hope you get it worked out.
As for back to deer... up against a large tree a lot of deer will pass quiet close and even cross beneath your stand with that setup. Hunting thick stuff you don’t need see them coming till they come within shooting range. Mainly a bow setup. My primary stand in a ridgetop funnel in an open oak flat has a ladder stand set up that way. Facing the other way they would have advantage of looking down on your setup. I’ve shot more good bucks coming from my back than any other way. No, I’m not shooting behind me often, but to either side or in front after they have passed. They are very relaxed. Rifle is different.
Good luck on your situation as I know that’s frustrating. But sometimes you have to choose your battles and enjoy the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunting makes people act even more weird.
I was on my Tablet last night while watching tv , and saw a post on a Facebook Virginia deer hunting page , a guy asking for help. He stated he recently hung a stand 30 feet from the property line on his own land , and when he came home from work yesterday, he found the stand dumped in his front yard !. He is assuming the neighbor did it and wanted to know what type of action he should .

There was no mention of the direction the stand was facing . Quite frankly it doesn't matter what direction , or how many feet away. While not cool , I've had a blind 10 feet away and Ladder stand 12 to 15 feet away and directly facing my land , and legally there is nothing you can do about it....unless you catch someone shooting onto your land.

While I realize the adjoining land owner was pissed ,with seeing a stand close to his land. It takes some nerve to come on somebody else's land and take the stand down and dump it in their front yard !. What would recourse would you'all take ?. I'm thinking call the cops or game warden and have them go talk to the adjoining land owner who took the stand down....and have them tell him if he steps foot on my land again or touches my stand charges will be filed. Or hang the stand and chain and lock it to the tree and put cameras facing it to get proof of who it was. Also if the land isn't posted go out and buy signs and post it immediately .

Likely two property owners who have completely different opinions on where the property line is and as a result both are pissed. Time for a respectful discussion with neighbors before involving any law and likely an official survey is going to have to be available or paid for before anything involving the law is gonna yield results. One of the owners will be disappointed however when complete.

Not on my property but my parents neighbor, who we have had permission to hunt on since I was old enough to hunt (30 years for me more for my dad). I had a homemade wooden ladder stand about 30 yards off the property line with no way of even shooting a bow onto the neighbors property. New people bought the neighbors and they put a poster up 10 yards in front of my stand clearly off their property line. Then put up a blind on their property 60 yards away. Now I'm not complaining about them putting a blind up on their property but they put it directly upwind of where the deer come from. Ruined that spot. Found other places that they put posters up way off their property lines and they've had multiple disputes with the other neighbor over property lines. To make it worse they're terrible hunters too.

Likely two property owners who have completely different opinions on where the property line is and as a result both are pissed. Time for a respectful discussion with neighbors before involving any law and likely an official survey is going to have to be available or paid for before anything involving the law is gonna yield results. One of the owners will be disappointed however when complete.
I've checked and cannot find the post on Facebook...either It's not on the page I thought it was, or the post has has been deleted. So I don't have any additional facts...like if both or any of the properties are posted, is there a fence , or if the property line known. I believe the respectful discussion should of came first
Not on my property but my parents neighbor, who we have had permission to hunt on since I was old enough to hunt (30 years for me more for my dad). I had a homemade wooden ladder stand about 30 yards off the property line with no way of even shooting a bow onto the neighbors property. New people bought the neighbors and they put a poster up 10 yards in front of my stand clearly off their property line. Then put up a blind on their property 60 yards away. Now I'm not complaining about them putting a blind up on their property but they put it directly upwind of where the deer come from. Ruined that spot. Found other places that they put posters up way off their property lines and they've had multiple disputes with the other neighbor over property lines. To make it worse they're terrible hunters too.
I hope you told the landowner who allows you to hunt about the signs on their land....and removed them , and offered to put Signs up for your landowner facing the new guys land to help out . Nothing wrong with anyone posting their land , and everyone should....but putting signs across the property line, and one 10 yards in front of your stand is nervy and uncalled for !. I can't picture your exact setup, but A blind 60 yards away isn't too bad...I doubt they are in that blind every single day, so maybe you could still hunt out of your old wooden ladder stand once in a while...even if they are in the blind , sit up there once or twice a season for old times sake just to piss them off when they see you lol .

I've checked and cannot find the post on Facebook...either It's not on the page I thought it was, or the post has has been deleted. So I don't have any additional facts...like if both or any of the properties are posted, is there a fence , or if the property line known. I believe the respectful discussion should of came first

I hope you told the landowner who allows you to hunt about the signs on their land....and removed them , and offered to put Signs up for your landowner facing the new guys land to help out . Nothing wrong with anyone posting their land , and everyone should....but putting signs across the property line, and one 10 yards in front of your stand is nervy and uncalled for !. I can't picture your exact setup, but A blind 60 yards away isn't too bad...I doubt they are in that blind every single day, so maybe you could still hunt out of your old wooden ladder stand once in a while...even if they are in the blind , sit up there once or twice a season for old times sake just to piss them off when they see you lol .

I very rarely hunt over there anymore. At the time I could only hunt Saturdays and they would come up to hunt every weekend. My dad still hunts there during the week but he comes over to hunt on my land on the weekends now. Neighbor that gives us permission doesn't post it and gives permission to everyone that asks. His property, he can do what he wants but it's only about 5 wooded acres and the rest is field. Gets a bit crowded for my taste. Plus that camp has made hunting over there tough. They're really good at educating the deer.