Hunting headaches

Shoot, shovel, and shut up.

Funny how ethics and the law vary over time an location. When I was growing up in PA, if you saw a dog chasing a deer you were taught that it was your obligation to shoot the dog. Here in VA there are clear laws and stiff penalties against it.

It is illegal to remove a collar from a dog here, but on occasion I've caught dogs on my land without collars and sometimes with. Since I live an hour and a half from my farm, and the local shelter is in the opposite direction. I always take the dog back to the shelter in the city with the high concentration of PETA folks. If the dog gets adopted up there, it won't be running lose on my farm again. When I tell the shelter how the dog seemed so hungry it was chasing wildlife to survive, I would suspect some of those places would be reluctant to call the owner if the dog had a collar with tag to return it. Even if they do, the owner has to drive an hour and a half to get it back.

Thanks,

Jack

Oh man, I feel like this thread doesn't want this from me... I own 35 acres. It's sort of like a bowling alley. Two of my sides are bordered by state lands. The only time that I found a trespasser on my property, I had a friendly conversation with the guy. He felt bad about being on my land, I gave him a "pass" and said not to worry. He was hunting out of a neighbors camp and wasn't really familiar with the area. He wanted to hunt and the rest of the guys were playing cards/hung over so he took a walk. He had come from the state lands, I know he likely passed by my signs but I didn't give him a hard time. Maybe it's because my land is like a bowling alley that I understand deer are just passing through.

But here's where I think you might take exception:

As for me and my "stands" (I use a climber), sometimes when hunting my own land, I DO sit near the property lines (it's not hard to be close to them). In fact one of the corners where State Game Lands, my land and a lease come together is a decent spot for traveling deer. Occasionally I will go up a tree there but I definitely would not shoot something (and haven't) if it were on the leased land. When I do hunt this spot, I and hunting and watching my own and state game land BUT - and this could be where things get messy if you saw me... I typically climb the backside of the tree (on my land) as I use the tree for cover so the tree is between me and my land. If I were putting up a ladder stand (as an example), it would look like I was facing the lease or state land. But as I mentioned, I use the tree for cover and generally face the tree and look around it when on stand. If I need to sit down, I actually sit on the shooting rail of my climber so I can still see my land and the state land.

Maybe my explanation provides a little different viewpoint...

1600869867805.png

shoot, shovel, shut up

I guess by definition, i wasn't doing the shut up part.

if you're on your land, I'd say the guy can pound sand. It's your tree, your right to sit where you want. Now if he catches you shooting onto his, that's BS.

However, what would be wrong with having a conversation with the neighbors, saying "we both hunt the line, and if a der is in range on either side, you're free to shoot my side, just as I am to shoot on your side"

You both win, you both get a little more land to hunt, and likely that deer he shot, was on his side at one point. Don't make a federal case of it.

I guess that's assuming you have decent neighbors who can be reasoned with.

Sitting on the line is alright, you just need to be facing the land you can hunt. Common sense.

Funny how ethics and the law vary over time an location. When I was growing up in PA, if you saw a dog chasing a deer you were taught that it was your obligation to shoot the dog. Here in VA there are clear laws and stiff penalties against it.

It is illegal to remove a collar from a dog here, but on occasion I've caught dogs on my land without collars and sometimes with. Since I live an hour and a half from my farm, and the local shelter is in the opposite direction. I always take the dog back to the shelter in the city with the high concentration of PETA folks. If the dog gets adopted up there, it won't be running lose on my farm again. When I tell the shelter how the dog seemed so hungry it was chasing wildlife to survive, I would suspect some of those places would be reluctant to call the owner if the dog had a collar with tag to return it. Even if they do, the owner has to drive an hour and a half to get it back.

Thanks,

Jack

I look at it this way, Is it a law, regulation, or a mandate. There is a big difference! I havent been doing a very good job at following recent mandates. I follow the law but I have driven over the speed limit. I follow regulations but also see some grey area and when hunting or fishing private property....

There has been talk on another thread about something that is currently legal that MANY people have a huge problem with so...

In Minnesota:
Dogs pursuing big game
No persons may allow their dog to chase or kill big game.
Between January 1 and July 14, a dog that is observed wounding, killing, or pursuing in a way that endangers big game may be killed by any person. A peace officer or conservation officer may kill a dog that endangers big game at any time of the year. The officer or person is not liable for damages for killing the dog.

Why the time of year has anything to do with it I have no idea. This is one of those where SSS comes into play for me.

Many years ago the neighbors had dogs that like to run and my uncle chased them off of our property several times. The last time he got sick of it. He chased the dog back, walked into the neighbors house, grabbed the shotgun leaning up against the wall in the corner of the room, and shot the dog in their front yard. It was a different day back then.

I look at it this way, Is it a law, regulation, or a mandate. There is a big difference! I havent been doing a very good job at following recent mandates. I follow the law but I have driven over the speed limit. I follow regulations but also see some grey area and when hunting or fishing private property....

There has been talk on another thread about something that is currently legal that MANY people have a huge problem with so...

In Minnesota:
Dogs pursuing big game
No persons may allow their dog to chase or kill big game.
Between January 1 and July 14, a dog that is observed wounding, killing, or pursuing in a way that endangers big game may be killed by any person. A peace officer or conservation officer may kill a dog that endangers big game at any time of the year. The officer or person is not liable for damages for killing the dog.

Why the time of year has anything to do with it I have no idea. This is one of those where SSS comes into play for me.

Many years ago the neighbors had dogs that like to run and my uncle chased them off of our property several times. The last time he got sick of it. He chased the dog back, walked into the neighbors house, grabbed the shotgun leaning up against the wall in the corner of the room, and shot the dog in their front yard. It was a different day back then.

The time of the year has to do with reproduction. Does stressed by long chases with dogs my survive but not produce fawns that survive.

The time of the year has to do with reproduction. Does stressed by long chases with dogs my survive but not produce fawns that survive.

Links to well designed research, please....
Seems to me dogs have been running deer, legally, in Virginia since the beginning of time, yet, as it seems to me, the only way deer populations here are kept in check is by disease, car-deer collisions, and extended either-sex hunting days. I've never heard of of what you are suggesting. Your perception? Perhaps.

But I have an open mind....to science.

Just throwing this out there, but when I was hunting from ladder stands I never pointed them the direction I thought I would shoot. I'm a right handed bowhunter and like to shoot 90 degrees to my left. No excuse that I can come up with for the blind facing your fence. Want to coordinate hunts... probably would have told him to expect me just across the fence from his stand every single day (unless I wasn't). With that said I really like to be a good neighbor. I have no real judgement of this kid, but your post gives me the idea that he wants a lot from those around him. I would need a face-to-face to get an actual feel for things.

if you're on your land, I'd say the guy can pound sand. It's your tree, your right to sit where you want. Now if he catches you shooting onto his, that's BS.

However, what would be wrong with having a conversation with the neighbors, saying "we both hunt the line, and if a der is in range on either side, you're free to shoot my side, just as I am to shoot on your side"

You both win, you both get a little more land to hunt, and likely that deer he shot, was on his side at one point. Don't make a federal case of it.

I guess that's assuming you have decent neighbors who can be reasoned with.

Sometimes, most times, you are so damn logical, accommodating, and sensible my hope for humanity is restored.....and then I read everything else opinion based.

shoot, shovel, shut up

I guess by definition, i wasn't doing the shut up part.
noooooo......do I need to take it back?

Thanks,

Jack

You've just confirmed what I've always suspected....

Links to well designed research, please....
Seems to me dogs have been running deer, legally, in Virginia since the beginning of time, yet, as it seems to me, the only way deer populations here are kept in check is by disease, car-deer collisions, and extended either-sex hunting days. I've never heard of of what you are suggesting. Your perception? Perhaps.

But I have an open mind....to science.

No research. I did not conclude the law was science based. I was saying that was the logic behind the law. Is it true? I have no idea...

Sometimes, most times, you are so damn logical, accommodating, and sensible my hope for humanity is restored.....and then I read everything else opinion based.

Makes the world spin round, i guess...

Good thing opinions are just that. Opinions. We're all allowed to have em. Even the wrong ones.

Makes the world spin round, i guess...

Good thing opinions are just that. Opinions. We're all allowed to have em. Even the wrong ones.
OK. Well, it was a compliment....

In mountain country property lines usually follow a ridge line or water way. So there fore regardless some of the best funnels will occur near property lines. I have one stand within 30 yds facing said line. And another about 60 yds away facing away. I've watched bucks on adjacent land and never made even a grunt. Wouldn't shoot unless on my place. But I do have excellent neighbors and no way would any of us be picky about tracking a shot deer on to adjacent land. Respect.
The only trouble I've ever had is with AEP crossing my fields with their dang trucks even tho ROW is at road. I took care of that problem quickly. Not my fault they have to climb a hill for access.
And as said by Cat, many of my stands are placed with back to direction I plan to shoot. So direction of plan placement may mean nothing. I mean they are just deer. If its a loss of sleep problem then put up a high fence and be happy.

I myself have been thinking of planting something along the property line maybe some type of spruce or cedar tree...to block out views...do you know of anything that would grow in shade ?

Beech.

We had a TV hunter lease land next to where we hunt. He'd walk the line and chew out our guys when we hunted to close to the line for his liking. But he did the same.

Name him and shame him!

OK. Well, it was a compliment....
It was vague. Or my comprehension was lacking. But thanks.

we're all a little stressed here. Season hasn't opened up yet and there's a lot of man-strating on internet forums these days. Everyone needs a good dose of the woods

Last edited: