Hunting headaches

It was vague. Or my comprehension was lacking. But thanks.

we're all a little stressed here. Season hasn't opened up yet and there's a lot of man-strating on internet forums these days. Everyone needs a good dose of the woods
Yeah we do! Can't come soon enough.

In mountain country property lines usually follow a ridge line or water way. So there fore regardless some of the best funnels will occur near property lines. I have one stand within 30 yds facing said line. And another about 60 yds away facing away. I've watched bucks on adjacent land and never made even a grunt. Wouldn't shoot unless on my place. But I do have excellent neighbors and no way would any of us be picky about tracking a shot deer on to adjacent land. Respect.
The only trouble I've ever had is with AEP crossing my fields with their dang trucks even tho ROW is at road. I took care of that problem quickly. Not my fault they have to climb a hill for access.
And as said by Cat, many of my stands are placed with back to direction I plan to shoot. So direction of plan placement may mean nothing. I mean they are just deer. If its a loss of sleep problem then put up a high fence and be happy.
I've never knew of anyone , or seen anyone on TV placing a stand with the back in the direction they plan to shoot, especially ladder stands like I was talking about... you learn something new every day. Even when I set a stand facing the main direction I THINK I'll get my best shot opportunity at...of course I'll end up shooting to my left, right...but don't recall ever shooting behind me, but I'm sure it could happen. I'm also Pretty sure if anyone has a stand with a shooting rest , they are facing the stand in the main direction they plan to shoot so they can use the rifle rest and not planning on shooting behind them...although of course it could happen, but it's not the plan. So when you're sitting with your back facing the main direction you plan to shoot....seems to me you would be constantly turning around all day making unnecessary movement and get a stiff neck instead of just looking straight ahead and scanning with your eyes to your left and right...and only turning around when you hear something behind you. I see nothing wrong with a stand 30 yards away and facing a property line at all Sir....that's a big difference from the 10 feet and 15 feet I was talking about.

I've never knew of anyone , or seen anyone on TV placing a stand with the back in the direction they plan to shoot, especially ladder stands like I was talking about... you learn something new every day. Even when I set a stand facing the main direction I THINK I'll get my best shot opportunity at...of course I'll end up shooting to my left, right...but don't recall ever shooting behind me, but I'm sure it could happen. I'm also Pretty sure if anyone has a stand with a shooting rest , they are facing the stand in the main direction they plan to shoot so they can use the rifle rest and not planning on shooting behind them...although of course it could happen, but it's not the plan. So when you're sitting with your back facing the main direction you plan to shoot....seems to me you would be constantly turning around all day making unnecessary movement and get a stiff neck instead of just looking straight ahead and scanning with your eyes to your left and right...and only turning around when you hear something behind you. I see nothing wrong with a stand 30 yards away and facing a property line at all Sir....that's a big difference from the 10 feet and 15 feet I was talking about.

I don't like ladder stands cause I feel too exposed anyway, but the few I have I absolutely face away from the deer so I can have the tree between us. I am bow hunting, so I'm dealing with close shots , and I need to be able to draw with the deer at very close range. If I was gun hunting I'd probably do the opposite.

I don't like ladder stands cause I feel too exposed anyway, but the few I have I absolutely face away from the deer so I can have the tree between us. I am bow hunting, so I'm dealing with close shots , and I need to be able to draw with the deer at very close range. If I was gun hunting I'd probably do the opposite.

I do the same, if the tree is "branchy" and the stand is tall 20-22 feet, I don't worry about it as much.

With that being said, I have a gut feeling your young friend next door has "high hopes for a buck" and might test the boundaries!

I hear you, but I value my life more than killing a deer...I wont give 2 cents for lock on or climbing stands. I'm too old to be fooling with them, and just don't trust them , plus I'm not big on heights...but more power to anyone that uses them and goes 20 feet or higher in a tree. My ladder stands are 15 to 17 feet high and some have camo burlap hanging from the shooting rail to conceal movement ... I've had deer right under my stand, and never knew I was there...and of course I have been winded when the wind changed. Would a lock on stand 3 to 5 foot higher made a difference ? maybe maybe not. Can't say I have ever been busted for movement though. I only go a dozen or less times a year with a bow ...I mainly hunt rifle , so I guess ladder stands facing the way I plan to shoot work for me.

My stand always faces away from where I am shooting as I mentioned earlier. I rarely sit. So I stand and lean a shoulder on the tree and am looking behind or out to the sides. After a while, I put the other shoulder on the tree and do the same. Regardless, I'm always scanning 360 degrees but I prefer the tree to be between me and the deer. This gives me the ability to hide behind the tree for approaching deer. Optimal shots end up to be 90 degrees from my platform.

With that being said, I have a gut feeling your young friend next door has "high hopes for a buck" and might test the boundaries!
I noticed "My Friend" Moved the ladder stand, it was still there last Saturday... So sometime Sunday or Monday he moved it...because it wasn't there Tuesday lol . He now only has one stand (that I know of) visible from my land....probably 20-25 yards from the line and facing away so that's good for a change. His new stand as the crow flies is maybe 60 and 75 yards from two of my stands . When the leaves fall I could probably turn around and see him.

I noticed "My Friend" Moved the ladder stand, it was still there last Saturday... So sometime Sunday or Monday he moved it...because it wasn't there Tuesday lol . He now only has one stand (that I know of) visible from my land....probably 20-25 yards from the line and facing away so that's good for a change. His new stand as the crow flies is maybe 60 and 75 yards from two of my stands . When the leaves fall I could probably turn around and see him.

Suspect he will be back as he probably sees his situation like you see yours ... his property and he can hunt where he wants. Fence sitters do what they do for a reason.

Did he call to coordinate his movements with you before moving it?

Suspect he will be back as he probably sees his situation like you see yours ... his property and he can hunt where he wants. Fence sitters do what they do for a reason.
I hear you , Except it's not his property , he only has permission to hunt over there. Not that it makes a difference , he can hunt wherever he want's over there and there is nothing anyone can say or do about it...unless he shoots onto my land which I have never gave him permission to do. All I have to say is when his blind and stand were 10 to 15 feet directly facing into my property that's fence sitting at it's finest. I may have stands visible from the property line, but I assure you the distance can't be measured with a pocket tape measure lol

Last edited:
Did he call to coordinate his movements with you before moving it?
Nah , I never gave him my number . According to the other guy with permission to hunt there, this kid is pushy and sees himself as the ruler over there. The Kid tries to tell the other guy who's been there LONGER THAN HIM what days he can hunt , and out of what stands he can hunt out of. The Kid got upset last week because the other Guy took down a stand and took it to another farm. The Kid didn't like that the guy was disturbing the property since hunting season is coming up . Meanwhile the Kid was doing the same thing ! , he was driving all around the property took down the ladderstand and hung a new latch on stand in view of my stands....it's always okay when the ruler want's to do anything

Last edited:
Hunting makes people act even more weird.

...When I bought a 120 acre parcel in Iowa back in 2013 or so, I had a neighbor that was upset I put no hunting signs on the property. He said "why do you need to do that" you don't trust us? I said, well no I always post my property. I suspected by his tone, that he wanted to hunt on mine (as he had in the past)...

Sure enough we caught him in the middle of my farm during gun season, he was actually a Sheriff Deputy.

It was vague. Or my comprehension was lacking. But thanks.

we're all a little stressed here. Season hasn't opened up yet and there's a lot of man-strating on internet forums these days. Everyone needs a good dose of the woods

It really does help.

I bought a piece of ground that was owned by people that didn't live nearby and was historically not posted. The first year I had multiple trespassers. Pictures and found a scent wick in a tree once. Unfortunately our state police and game commission are spread so thin in my area that they couldn't care less about somebody hunting on your land. I've just kept monitoring with my cameras. After the first year I haven't gotten any pictures or caught anyone so either they stopped or are getting good at avoiding cameras. I still have a sneaking suspicion that someone is sneaking down the edge of my land to hunt on my anti hunting neighbors but I'll have a camera there this year too to find out. Got to keep people out of there. That's what I use as a sanctuary since I only have 12 acres.

Do you think this kid has nerve asking me to coordinate when I hunt my OWN STAND on MY property ? especially after he puts his stands in sight of Mine . I also don't trust him as far as I can throw him , and in life and 9 times out of 10 my gut feeling about someone is usually correct

You're spot on. It's your property period.

not to throw a huge wrench into things but I have several stands on the property line. My property is 60 acres and I try to keep as much sanctuary as possible.

Booner, I do the same. Basically all my stands are on the lines, from 5' to 50 yards. It's 80 acres. When we first bought this and put stands up, they were essentially in the middle 200 yards. It runs 400 yards by 800. We'd see deer but blew most out on way to stands. One just couldn't get to stands without broadcasting to some deer we were coming, they then let all the others know. As soon as I made the decision to move the stands/blinds to the edges we began killing bucks we were wanting to kill. Does weren't a problem in later season from the interior stands but bucks were scarce. Trail cams said they were there but not when we went to stands.

The neighboring land is leased by an "outfitter". The past couple years he has contacted me the day/night before the rifle season opens about property line concerns and last year the opening morning he sent me a pic of buck that was on his side of the fence and said this was unsafe as my blind made it unsafe from his blind. At that location my land is the backstop. That situation plays out across this country. It's only unsafe if a shooter doesn't follow the common sense backstop rule.

He knows we don't trespass nor shoot over the fence, he said he has no concerns about that. A hunter from their side did trespass on our hunting but only done so on one occasion, early on in their ownership of the lease. We have a cordial but stressed at best relationship.

In a recent communication, which probably will be our last I expressed my displeasure of his complaining about my stand location(s). I wanted to get it out and in conversation way prior to the day before rifle season opened. I explained mine is an 80 and we'd blow everything out if we hunted the interior. The lease is 375 acres and he has a few more options to set blinds without fear of blowing deer out. He staunchly disagreed.

In his response he called me unethical and he doesn't like hunters looking out our blinds watching deer on his side of the fence while he is in his stand. The blinds on the property lines that touch his lease our commercially made and have windows on all side. It's about 100 yards away. My blinds are located where I had ladder stands. All my stands were in place prior to them leasing this property. No lanes or trees were altered to see better or shoot onto the lease property. Lanes are cut on my property to shoot deer that are taking routes to or from the two properties and routes further into my property. No deer is shot at out of my blinds that is not on my property.

When he first leased this land we met and agreed to contact each other if a deer was hit and went across property lines to obtain permission to retrieve it. In the past ten seasons he has asked at least 3 times and I have always said yes. We haven't had to ask once. Last year when we ran into him at store he said they hit one that morning and tracked it to the fence line and thought it went into ours. He didn't ask and I didn't offer. There were people in the stands at the time but if he would have asked I would have let him go in that night. Temps were fine, spoilage wouldn't have be an issue.

The deer we have shot from these line stands have either dropped where they were shot or they run further into our land.

If a person is shooting over the lines that is a huge issue but those of us who are hunting our land and only our land, no problem. That's my take. No one is going to tell me when I can and where I can hunt my property, within the framework of the game laws.

...When I bought a 120 acre parcel in Iowa back in 2013 or so, I had a neighbor that was upset I put no hunting signs on the property. He said "why do you need to do that" you don't trust us? I said, well no I always post my property. I suspected by his tone, that he wanted to hunt on mine (as he had in the past)...

Sure enough we caught him in the middle of my farm during gun season, he was actually a Sheriff Deputy.
Did he get ticketed?

bwoods11 9 times out of 10 your gut instinct is always right , always a small chance you could be wrong though. You called it with him wanting to hunt your land. Did you press charges or let him go ? Ever have any more trouble from him ?