Hunting headaches

White Oak

5 year old buck +
I've owned my land for 20 years , and lived on it since 2003 . I've had three encounters with trespassers in that time...but have also had a couple of blurry trail pictures of guys walking...and found a empty shot gun shell under my stand, so might of missed a few trespassers . The landowner next to me has 50 acres , and allows two guys to hunt it. The one guy has been hunting there 7 years and is very respectful and helps take care of the land for the elderly owners. The owners have also allowed a "kid" to hunt there the last 3 or 4 years , they seem to think he is gods gift to the world....I believe he has the wool pulled over their eyes. This Kid tries to tell the guy who has been there 7 years , what days he can hunt there, and what stands he can hunt in , plus he is bringing in everybody and their mother to hunt over there . He has a ladder stand the with of a logging road away from the property line maybe 15 feet directly looking into my property , and had a ground blind 10 feet from the property line with the main window facing my land. Granted there are no laws stating how far a stand needs to be away from the property line...BUT to me 10 to 15 feet and DIRECTLY FACING into a neighbors land is ridiculous and looks like he plans to shoot onto my land . While I have one stand near the property line it is 100 % facing into my land, and to me that's how it should be.

Anyway since 2003 , I put up 3 stands Every year that are visible from the neighboring property. The kids ladder stand has been 40 yards or so from one of my stands. Then This Monday I noticed he put another stand within 50 yards of another one of my stands. Monday I was out there putting my stand back up in the tree it has been in every year since 2003, he happened to drive up to his stand and cut some shooting lanes. After a while he must of heard or noticed me and called me over. Mind you this is the first time I have ever met or spoke with him. First thing out of his mouth was He wanted to exchange phone numbers so we can coordinate when we will be in our stands. I was Like No Man I own this property and my stands have been in these trees since 2003 , I'm not checking with anybody to see if I can hunt a stand on my own property. He didn't like that. I then said I dont put blinds 10 feet from the property line with the main shooting window directly facing the neighbors land....He acted like he wasn't planning on shooting my way, then says I saw where you put a trail camera looking right at it...Well he must of got the point, because the blind was moved a week or so later lol. Then he made a comment that he saw me driving my four wheeler , I guess while he was hunting and I got the impression he didn't like that. Yes once a week, or every other week I do drive around and check trail cams or look for trespassers , I guess he thinks I should text him whenever I step foot on my land. THEN he started hinting around he wanted permission to track and retrieve game on my land...I told him to ask at the house, like I ask at the landowners house on the land he's hunting.

Do you think this kid has nerve asking me to coordinate when I hunt my OWN STAND on MY property ? especially after he puts his stands in sight of Mine . I also don't trust him as far as I can throw him , and in life and 9 times out of 10 my gut feeling about someone is usually correct

Last edited:
I think we have all had this happen at least once, most probably more than that. For me it has always been on land I don't own, so I always talk to both landowners first to see if it can be resolved that way to start. The only time I have had trespassers on my property all I saw were boot tracks in the snow but no stands or blood. Most of the time it ends there, a couple of them were litterbugs and all I had to do is show that property owner their mess and they got the boot.
I have dealt with the cocky kid type twice and in my experience, the only times I got them away from the property line (both times their stands were facing away from the property they were hunting) was to put up a stand facing theirs only a couple trees deep on my side. One year opening day of gun season, there we were staring at each other, then it became squirrel season lol I got 2 out of 3 squirrels that day :) kid moved his stand and I moved mine back off the property line as it was before.
Another time I made it a point to do a slow noisy walk through (with extra orange on) every time I saw the kids car parked down the road and again shoot every squirrel I saw. Both times worked as painful as it was to burn days to hunt, but it was still worth it.
This is your land though so I would be a little more upset about it and if it were me, and if the other landowner chat didn't help, I would probably be more creative like trash the area for a season by hanging fresh stinky work clothes on the side of trees they can't see along that border. They won't hunt there if it doesn't produce, that probably sounds terrible but it is effective. To each is their own. I certainly wouldn't let him get the better of you here and just move your stands.
Good luck bud, let us know the end result.

If he’s not the owner of the land. I would play hardball. Put cameras on the edge of your property, maybe create a jungle on your side (if his stands are near the property line).

it doesn’t sound like a good situation.

We often worry too much about what we thing people will do. What is the worst case? You put up some obvious cameras and hide a few. Either he will poach and likely get caught on you cam, or he won't. If you catch him, you will have pretty hard evidence to take to the neighboring land owner to disabuse them of their current notions about the kid. While you have every right to hunt however you want, within the bounds of the law, on your land. You neighbors have every right to allow the kid, regardless of his ethics, to hunt on their land. Until the line is crossed, it is just a worry.

When someone offers to "coordinate", it can be a a facade for being selfish and doesn't want you there. On the other hand, it can be a way of offering to make way for you. I hunted a military base for spring gobbler for many years and some areas had limited parking. I would regularly arrive early, wait for another hunter to pull up, and ask him where he was going. I'd go another way.

While you are probably right with your gut judgement, I would treat him as though you were wrong (except for monitoring) until he proves you right.

Thanks,

Jack

When someone puts a stand or blind 5 to 10 ft from the line. Their intention is to expand their hunting onto your land. Period. Offers to coordinate are just another way to try and make it acceptable to hunt your land . My suggestion would be that any future conversations be direct. Trespassing for ANY reason will not be tolerated and be subject to law enforcement. Be strong on this or you will regret it. Trust me. You might get lucky and it’s resolved in a few years but, most likely it will get worse before it gets better. Do it firm and do it right by the letter. If it was the landowner doing this it would be handled a bit different and tactful as you have reason to benefit the both of you but, this guy is just taking advantage and frankly overstepping bounds

Last edited:
I despise line sitters. If they line sit on a neighboring property who hunts then they're shltheads, plain and simple. I can see situations where hunting closer to the line of a mutual agreement or non hunting friend would be ok. I agree with laying down the law.

not to throw a huge wrench into things but I have several stands on the property line. My property is 60 acres and I try to keep as much sanctuary as possible. Most of the deer I have the opportunity to shoot come from mine and go to the neighbors field to feed. I text the neighbor during gun season and let him know where I am going to be and vice versa. Save both of us from looking at each other in the tree. He tracks on me with permission and I do the same. overall been a very beneficial arrangement maybe start with the benefit of the doubt but be firm about trespassing and shooting deer on your property. I had a discussion with all my neighbors and we all get along pretty well. I can tell you unless you have a huge chunk of ground your property will fee pretty small you have a neighbor that trys to ruin your hunt every time you are out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think his point is that this is not the neighbor nor the landowner. This is a guy that thinks he owns the woods and everybody else’s from what I gather from White Oaks original post

White Oak, It sounds like this kid and his buddies will be teaching the deer that the fifty acres they hunt on isn’t a safe daytime place to be. And just in case you using a perimeter trail/road for accessing your stands lets them know you are around and further teaches the deer where the danger area begins. No one has permission to retrieve deer from my property. They must come and ask first and line sitters get to wait until I can accompany them which is usually after dark. Actually almost everyone has to wait until I can accompany them but not everyone gets to wait until dark. Sure some still trespass anyway but one by one they walk by a camera and eventually get ticketed. And surprisingly a lot who have reputations for being bad poachers are sometimes really well behaved. The best route that has worked here is to stay visible, stay polite and thru your actions let it be known that trespassing comes with consequences.

With that said there are rare times where a stand within fifty feet of the property line is the best stand to be in like when the wind is blowing off of your property Into a headache property. You get to teach deer it isn’t safe near the property lines also if you deem it wise. Enjoy your season and just know that one by one headache guys go away eventually. It is just their nature.

Hunting property lines seems to be a way of life in my part of east texas

Strategic hinge cutting to create visual barricades is an option

i secured my perimeter with easy access trail system,posted signs ~ every 100 feet,and frequent rides on the Mule to maintain an active presence

bill

Im always torn on situations like this. On one had, like above, he's asking to coordinate or communicate what stands are hunted, and you don't want to be told how to hunt on your land. And yet he has a stand or blind up on land he has permission on and you want to be able to tell him which way he has to face. Although being so close to property lines also aggravates me only for the sake of how much effort I put into my land, I don't want anyone just walking around it. The property next to me is leased. Every year different guys in there, and every year I have to have the same conversation that I will not tolerate trespassing at all, and 1 event of trespassing and I call the sheriff out. With that said I always offer them to come up to my house if a deer they hit runs on to my land, and they can show me where, and that I will retrieve and deliver their deer for them. I make it known I do not want them on my land, but I am also not looking to take deer from them if one makes it over here. So far, with the exception of 1 group that were there, they have all been respectful. The ones that weren't, the sheriff did come out to meet them at their truck, I told the landowner, and I called the rep at Base Camp leasing and made sure they were aware.

I also hang a LOT of posted signs to help ensure noticeable property lines. That seems to help. I guess to me I just make sure to communicate in first interaction my no tolerance policy, offer to get deer out if they stop at the house, and post my land. Outside of that, if they stay on the land they are supposed to be on, and are not hunting illegally, I dont have a right to tell them where to hunt, how to hunt, or which way to face. Least thats how I approach it.

I would approach the land owners and just casually throw it out there that you are interested in leasing the hunting rights to their farm. If you get to the point of how much $ make sure it’s high enough to be hard for them to turn down.
I would also put up big “No Trespassing” signs right on the property line in front of any stands or blinds facing your direction along the line.

We had leased the hunting rights to our farm for a few years before we bought it. After buying I posted it good. Had one drunken loud mouth neighbor drive halfway down my lane past two signs to tell me he didn’t appreciate me posting my own land and if anything wounded from my property came over to his (actually his brother who is nice owns it) to leave it lay.
I told him if they were hunting and had anything wounded that came on our side to call me, I would help them follow the blood trail and retrieve it I didn’t just want guys pretending to hit something so they could push my place. I also explained very thoroughly that we had bought the property just for a place for our family to hunt. Five years later he is still a loudmouth dick but all the other neighbors are great.
Caught one group of road hunters pushing one of our farms couple years ago went nuts and got the warden right there as I totally lost my shit. They were charged and the word got around good.

I would have exchanged numbers and had him tell me every time he goes hunting and where he's going to be.

We often worry too much about what we thing people will do. What is the worst case? You put up some obvious cameras and hide a few. Either he will poach and likely get caught on you cam, or he won't. If you catch him, you will have pretty hard evidence to take to the neighboring land owner to disabuse them of their current notions about the kid. While you have every right to hunt however you want, within the bounds of the law, on your land. You neighbors have every right to allow the kid, regardless of his ethics, to hunt on their land. Until the line is crossed, it is just a worry.

When someone offers to "coordinate", it can be a a facade for being selfish and doesn't want you there. On the other hand, it can be a way of offering to make way for you. I hunted a military base for spring gobbler for many years and some areas had limited parking. I would regularly arrive early, wait for another hunter to pull up, and ask him where he was going. I'd go another way.

While you are probably right with your gut judgement, I would treat him as though you were wrong (except for monitoring) until he proves you right.

Thanks,

Jack
Jack I believe his wanting to "coordinate", is a facade . He tries to boss around the other guy that also has permission to hunt that land. Tries to tell him what days he can hunt and what stands he can hunt out of !..mind you the other guy has been hunting there 7 years , and this kid maybe 3 or 4 years...but I can understand those two having to coordinate together. The guy that has been there 7 years is getting fed up and took a few of his stands down recently and took them to a new farm. Apparently the kid got upset because the guy was in the woods I guess disturbing the deer....but a few days later it was perfectly okay for him to drive all around the property and put the stand up by me lol . He thinks he makes the rules and everyone needs to follow him. I got a blurry trail cam picture of someone on my land during bow season right after dark ...I'd bet it was him . He also made a comment that he saw me driving my 4 wheeler last year...I got the impression meaning I ruined his hunt...I'm sorry but if I want to take a ride on my 4 wheeler to check trail cams or see if anyone is in my stands with a bow or crossbow I think I have every right too .

When someone puts a stand or blind 5 to 10 ft from the line. Their intention is to expand their hunting onto your land. Period. Offers to coordinate are just another way to try and make it acceptable to hunt your land . My suggestion would be that any future conversations be direct. Trespassing for ANY reason will not be tolerated and be subject to law enforcement. Be strong on this or you will regret it. Trust me. You might get lucky and it’s resolved in a few years but, most likely it will get worse before it gets better. Do it firm and do it right by the letter. If it was the landowner doing this it would be handled a bit different and tactful as you have reason to benefit the both of you but, this guy is just taking advantage and frankly overstepping bounds
I agree Buckly . He was hinting around that he wanted permission to track or retrieve , I told him he needs to ask permission to track and retrieve at the house. My parents are older and I live with them, and my land is next to theirs. So somebody is home most of the time...

Keep a big pile of corn dumped on the opposite end of the property during the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im always torn on situations like this. On one had, like above, he's asking to coordinate or communicate what stands are hunted, and you don't want to be told how to hunt on your land. And yet he has a stand or blind up on land he has permission on and yo. Although being so close to property lines also aggravates me only for the sake of how much effort I put into my land, I don't want anyone just walking around it. The property next to me is leased. Every year different guys in there, and every year I have to have the same conversation that I will not tolerate trespassing at all, and 1 event of trespassing and I call the sheriff out. With that said I always offer them to come up to my house if a deer they hit runs on to my land, and they can show me where, and that I will retrieve and deliver their deer for them. I make it known I do not want them on my land, but I am also not looking to take deer from them if one makes it over here. So far, with the exception of 1 group that were there, they have all been respectful. The ones that weren't, the sheriff did come out to meet them at their truck, I told the landowner, and I called the rep at Base Camp leasing and made sure they were aware.

I also hang a LOT of posted signs to help ensure noticeable property lines. That seems to help. I guess to me I just make sure to communicate in first interaction my no tolerance policy, offer to get deer out if they stop at the house, and post my land. Outside of that, if they stay on the land they are supposed to be on, and are not hunting illegally, I dont have a right to tell them where to hunt, how to hunt, or which way to face. Least thats how I approach it.

Im always torn on situations like this. On one had, like above, he's asking to coordinate or communicate what stands are hunted, and you don't want to be told how to hunt on your land. And yet he has a stand or blind up on land he has permission on and you want to be able to tell him which way he has to face. Although being so close to property lines also aggravates me only for the sake of how much effort I put into my land, I don't want anyone just walking around it. The property next to me is leased. Every year different guys in there, and every year I have to have the same conversation that I will not tolerate trespassing at all, and 1 event of trespassing and I call the sheriff out. With that said I always offer them to come up to my house if a deer they hit runs on to my land, and they can show me where, and that I will retrieve and deliver their deer for them. I make it known I do not want them on my land, but I am also not looking to take deer from them if one makes it over here. So far, with the exception of 1 group that were there, they have all been respectful. The ones that weren't, the sheriff did come out to meet them at their truck, I told the landowner, and I called the rep at Base Camp leasing and made sure they were aware.

I am fully aware there are no laws stating how close a stand or blind can be from the property line , and until this week I never said anything about it, and probably never would have if he didn't call me over . His ladder stand has been 12 to 15 feet away from the property line directly facing my land for 2-3 years and last year his ground blind was 10 feet away with the main shooting window facing my land....until I placed a trail camera in front of it and he must of got the point and moved the blind. I. My land is well posted as well...but I'm pretty sure he is the one I got a blurry picture of on my land during bow season last year...but I can't prove it YET. You say I want to tell him what way to face....not really it's more that the stand is 10 feet away and directly facing my land....The bedroom I am sitting in is wider than 10 feet....do you honestly believe he is limiting his shot to the 10 feet in front of him? . How many hunters set up limiting theirself to a 10 , 12 , 15 foot wide shot opportunity ?

One other thing I'd like to add. He has been hunting there with stands right close to the property, lets say for four years with a bow....and he has never once came and asked permission to track or retrieve anything on my land. Meanwhile the other guy has asked at least three times. My land is well posted...and I'm willing to bet he has just done as he pleased and retrieved whenever he wanted and that was him in the blurry trail cam pic. When he was hinting around for permission to track or retrieve he said the "laws have changed" While in Virginia you have always needed a landowners permission to track and retrieve on private property...NOW along with a fine you can loose your hunting privileges for 1 to 5 years for violations...I assume that means trespassing too. I think he would have to be pretty stupid to step foot on my property without permission . I plan on having plenty of hidden trail cameras in case he does

I am fully aware there are no laws stating how close a stand or blind can be from the property line , and until this week I never said anything about it, and probably never would have if he didn't call me over . His ladder stand has been 12 to 15 feet away from the property line directly facing my land for 2-3 years and last year his ground blind was 10 feet away with the main shooting window facing my land....until I placed a trail camera in front of it and he must of got the point and moved the blind. I. My land is well posted as well...but I'm pretty sure he is the one I got a blurry picture of on my land during bow season last year...but I can't prove it YET. You say I want to tell him what way to face....not really it's more that the stand is 10 feet away and directly facing my land....The bedroom I am sitting in is wider than 10 feet....do you honestly believe he is limiting his shot to the 10 feet in front of him? . How many hunters set up limiting theirself to a 10 , 12 , 15 foot wide shot opportunity ?

One other thing I'd like to add. He has been hunting there with stands right close to the property, lets say for four years with a bow....and he has never once came and asked permission to track or retrieve anything on my land. Meanwhile the other guy has asked at least three times. My land is well posted...and I'm willing to bet he has just done as he pleased and retrieved whenever he wanted and that was him in the blurry trail cam pic. When he was hinting around for permission to track or retrieve he said the "laws have changed" While in Virginia you have always needed a landowners permission to track and retrieve on private property...NOW along with a fine you can loose your hunting privileges for 1 to 5 years for violations...I assume that means trespassing too. I think he would have to be pretty stupid to step foot on my property without permission . I plan on having plenty of hidden trail cameras in case he does

Unless he is "retrieving his dog"! :emoji_unamused:

Ok, but again, have you ever caught him on your place? outside a blurry picture that maybe/maybe not, have you caught him on your place? Sounds like to this point, no you haven't. So he is on the land he can hunt, and depending on what reply we're on, he is 10, 12, 15 feet off of the property line. Maybe to him that's the best spot or where he wants to be. So you could assume he is facing your direction to shoot off your land, but you don't have anything to prove that. So unless that happens, he hasn't done anything wrong, is within the property he can hunt, and that's fine. It sounds like you dont appreciate him asking about coordinating stand locations, and that's fine, but at same time, you want his stands in certain areas, or better said not within some kind of acceptable range of property line that you want to decide for him. Kind of go both ways. To me, if hasn't been caught on your land.... then he hasn't done anything wrong and should be able to hunt that land as he wants no different than you hunting yours. And if there are issues between him and another hunter on the land that they are hunting, then that is between them.

People get super territorial. You have every right to be on your land when and where you want to be. As long as you keep a good relationship with the landowner, you'll be fine.

We had a TV hunter lease land next to where we hunt. He'd walk the line and chew out our guys when we hunted to close to the line for his liking. But he did the same.

Some people think they're a bigger deal than they are. Hope you get it sorted out. Bad neighbors can ruin a lot of things.