Herron Ridge … Trials, Tribulations, & Some Good Stuff

No terminating rye for me here in Missouri this late. Turkey population to low to take a chance. Not ideal but I spray in April with a 75% kill.

I think I finally solved my Seeder/Sprayer transport issue. Had an old Kawi ATV that was 18 years. Still started every time but was time to replace. Had issue with new attachments not being able to be mounted on rack or back deck. I have an 9 row planter, but it is difficult to get to some places and does well withy soy bean, corn, etc. but not small seed like clover or millet.

This new set-up will offer a lot more flexibility for spreading small & large seed, spraying, and spreading fertilizer.

0531211209.jpg

My wife loves the white birches on the property and so do I. A nice contrast to the oaks, maples, & pines. The birches seem to be more susceptible to lower trunk rot and we have a number that once they fall, they make great firewood with a nice burning scent.

0531211347a.jpg

Put up several Mason Bee houses. Only got them up mid season last year so there was limited occupancy. Looking to see how they do this year.

Also put up 2 large bat house located on the barn near the night light. Should be a good feeding spot for them to attack the bugs.

0516211428.jpg

Found this guy wandering around the barn, I redirected his journey and put him in the pond.

0516211353a.jpg

Last edited:
This guy is now 5-6 years old ... with bases this large and stickers starting, will be interesting to see him this fall. Hard to see in pic but 2 stickers on right and 3 on left.

1625496206698.png

1625496714238.png

Good reason to get out of bed!

Shooter for sure with that age, width and bases.

Good reason to get out of bed!

Shooter for sure with that age, width and bases.

The neighbor across the road arrowed him last fall. A guy who checks his trap line on my north end saw him beeded about 100 yards in my property, then watched him jump up and run deeper into my property. I found his bed with very little blood and tracked him to the line he ran. Found absolutely no blood sign even in the yellowed grass. He was a ghost the rest of the season and thought he either left the property or was taken by another hunter. Or he died in the march.

Saw a pick of the neighbors crossbow mechanical broadhead. Looked cheap and the metal tip was bent from hitting the shoulder bone.

Here is a pic of him last year ... wondering how the wound will affect his antler development.

1625685178701.png

Last edited:
Looks like he lost some width. But maybe not. Need a head on shot.

Dat deer is a big boy!!!

Monster. Any hard horn pics from last yr? Looks like a booner 10

Monster. Any hard horn pics from last yr? Looks like a booner 10

+1. Especially if he gains much this year. Are you sure those are pictures of the same buck?

+1. Especially if he gains much this year. Are you sure those are pictures of the same buck?

That's what I am trying to figure out. There are some similarities' but some differences that make me question if he is the same buck.

I know a bucks rack can change the year after an injury, so i will look to see if I get more pics of him going forward. If he is not the same buck, nice to see another mature buck roaming the property.

That deer was a monster last year. If that’s him this year, he could blow up even bigger. I’m very interested in seeing more pics of him as he develops. Keep us posted.

Not that this is iron clad, but it seems that the buck had shorter 2's and longer 3's last year. This year looks to have taller 2's, but maybe it's 3's push out longer eventually. Could possibly be a different buck. Not enough to go on yet. Best case is two separate living bucks!

That deer was a monster last year. If that’s him this year, he could blow up even bigger. I’m very interested in seeing more pics of him as he develops. Keep us posted.
Not that this is iron clad, but it seems that the buck had shorter 2's and longer 3's last year. This year looks to have taller 2's, but maybe it's 3's push out longer eventually. Could possibly be a different buck. Not enough to go on yet. Best case is two separate living bucks!

Pretty much concluded he is not the same buck. The wide one had back sweeping G2's and this one does not. The brow tine that swerves a bit is on the opposite side. This mew one still looks to be a healthy mature buck. A 3 or 4 year old based on his body.

Had an interesting visitor this past week. When I pulled the game cams I found this guy walking down a trail about 100 yards from the barn.

He is a black bear and based on the pic, looks to be maybe 3-3.5' tall at the shoulder. Note the deer in the background that gets spoked by him.

Any thoughts on his weight?

1625916863134.jpeg

The boys or summer enjoying the buffet. This field is full of weeds as it was a new plot that I could only spray once. No tilling and broadcasted clover, PTT, forage radish into the thatch.

1628338080188.png

Lot of good eats and will get overseeded with WR in about 4 weeks.

1628338433056.jpeg

1628338708037.png

1628338865517.png

Very nice bucks

Very nice!

I like the buck with all the junk at his bases.