Herbicide and White clover

EarthySpirit

5 year old buck +
I planted white clover in 2 of my new plots this spring, and they are coming in pretty good, but are accompanied by numerous native forbes and broadleaf. I'm ok with this, for this year. Deer are hitting it well. But next spring, I want to eliminate natives while encouraging clover, and will overseed with more clover. I'm seeking the best herbicide to kill all competition to the clover without killing clover. I have heard that Butyrac 200 works well for this application. Do you all agree, or have you tried other herbicides which may work better. My plan is to let everything emerge next spring, then spray with herbicide, and lay over the biomass of the native plants and overseed with more clover. Thanks for any advice.

I would think that just mowing this year so nothing goes to seed will clean it up significantly.

2,4DB(Butyrac 200) should be fine on 2nd year clover. Wait until you have good clover growth started in the spring, but make sure you spray it before the weeds get much over 3" to 4" tall for the best kill on the weeds.

Great, thanks wisc. That confirms my thinking. Here is a pic of one of the 2 plots with clover and winter rye.
1531400408605.png

I would think that just mowing this year so nothing goes to seed will clean it up significantly.

I like the idea of that, but I'm staying out of the area for opening day of archery season (sept 1). Thanks!

I like the idea of that, but I'm staying out of the area for opening day of archery season (sept 1). Thanks!

Never a bad strategy!!

Eventually, the plot will start getting some grasses in it. It's just the nature of a legume plot. It makes nitrogen and grass likes nitrogen.
Have some Clethodim on hand for the grass. Over-seeding some nitrogen loving brassica into the areas where grass has been killed helps to use up some of the N.
Spray the grass, then after a couple weeks or so, spread the brassica into the dying grass and right before a heavy rain is helpful to get the seed to the soil. Kind of another version of Throw 'N Mow.
I'm in the process of doing that right now...I sprayed cleth on Friday and now I'm waiting for the grass to start dying and for some rain predictions.

The plot below was a weedy mess. I let the weeds get as tall as possible and mow them a few days before the seed become viable. Planted last fall and mowed 2 or 3 times this year.

Look in the back of the plot at the spot with high weeds just in front of the cedar tree. There is a big stump there that I have to mow around. This shows, however, how weedy this spot is.

GlKn0cc.jpg

The plot below was a weedy mess. I let the weeds get as tall as possible and mow them a few days before the seed become viable. Planted last fall and mowed 2 or 3 times this year.

Look in the back of the plot at the spot with high weeds just in front of the cedar tree. There is a big stump there that I have to mow around. This shows, however, how weedy this spot is.

GlKn0cc.jpg
Great job as usual, Native! I'd love to take a walk on your property sometime. I can only imagine how impressive it is from the pic and knowledge that you share. Thanks.

Great job as usual, Native! I'd love to take a walk on your property sometime. I can only imagine how impressive it is from the pic and knowledge that you share. Thanks.

Thanks Tap. Let me know if you are ever visiting in this area.

Reactions: Tap
Eventually, the plot will start getting some grasses in it. It's just the nature of a legume plot. It makes nitrogen and grass likes nitrogen.
Have some Clethodim on hand for the grass. Over-seeding some nitrogen loving brassica into the areas where grass has been killed helps to use up some of the N.
Spray the grass, then after a couple weeks or so, spread the brassica into the dying grass and right before a heavy rain is helpful to get the seed to the soil. Kind of another version of Throw 'N Mow.
I'm in the process of doing that right now...I sprayed cleth on Friday and now I'm waiting for the grass to start dying and for some rain predictions.

Great! Thanks for the tip, Tap.

Native - great example in the pic at post #8. That's good advice - we can use that info at camp for sure. We also use cleth for grass in the clover / alfalfa plots, but the timing of mowing is a big help to save chemicals.