Durano white clover

b116757

5 year old buck +
I’ve just started using Durano white clover frost seeding it this year so far I’m impressed we had a month long spring drought that finally broke a couple days ago with 1/2” or so of rain and my Durano has already bounced back in many areas I had planted it. It looks like durano may live up to the hype of being a tough white clover. I sure hope so having some white clover stands that take care of themselves sounds grand.

I have planted most types of clover suited for southern climate - and durana is my preference. We did have a severe drought last summer that my durana did not come back from. I replanted in October and half my plots were underwater for a month. The durana did not come out of that well, either. But most clovers would not.

I do still have a patch of Imperial Whitetail Clover that I planted 15 years ago. There is some of it still hanging on. I quit maintaining the plot about eight years ago. It has been flood a number of times. It goes through the droughts. It has been sprayed with roundup numerous times. It is tough.

That imperial is expensive and has some cheap clover mixed in with it already, but I think it's worth buying some and mixing it with other clovers. Berseem is one of those clovers in the imperial mix. Their ladino like clover has a peach blush to the flower. Almost think it's a Mediterranean clover rather than a ladino. But, that berseem make some big growth the 1st year. I believe that attracts more people to buy it again than the long laster clover itself.

I ordered patriot from 2 places both of them sent e durana instead, then both of them sent me patriot for no extra charge. They say patriot is better for northern climates. Both are improved ladino varieties. I threw the durana up north in the adirondacks zone 3 in december when I planted ome whitetail crabs up there. Haven't been back there this psring due to my arm issue.

The patriot came in the mmail 2 days after I came back from camp in december. I also seeded durana at home in the yard here n there and the plots. Already have a decent stand of mixed clover in one plot and the other rye is going batty in there. Will likely find out how things went at home this fall.

Another good clover to look for is regal ladino. Im trying new things, but if you handed me a big bag of imperial vs a big bag of regal for free, i'd be hesitant to pick one for sure. Regal has worked well for me when I caan get it. Usually buy a big quantity, then in 2 or three years buy another big bag of clover again. Usually pick up a few pounds every year from the ag-coop of what they got.

For the south I like aberlasting, renovation, and regal graze whites. I haven’t had the same luck as other with durana. Gonna use some on all my trails this fall and give if one more go.

I have one more 25lb bag of durana but I’m pretty hesitant to plant it now seems like I’m probably better off planting that bag come September

Last edited:
Checked on the Durano planting’s this weekend pretty impressed with this clover so far most areas I planted it have cattle present and this stuff is growing well even with cattle grazing pressure. In fact I may overseed some larger pasture areas specifically for cattle with this stuff.

Photo of heavy cattle pressure grazing and a couple photos of deer only pressure. In August of late winter early spring frost seeded Durano.

Attachments

• IMG_0082.jpeg
    IMG_0082.jpeg
    764.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0080.jpeg
    IMG_0080.jpeg
    857.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0079.jpeg
    IMG_0079.jpeg
    856.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited: