Too Much Chicory?

RJAJr

A good 3 year old buck
Wondering today if I possibly have to much Chicory in my plot. I used WINA Fusion seed this spring and have been battling weeds and have solid hopes for next spring when I can get after them seriously with Herbicide.

Chicory is pretty prevalent in my plot right now and it is just now bolting this fall. And holy cow It is throwing up some big bolts. To the point I am for sure going to need to use the flail mower to knock them down in the spring. Is this common in Chirory plots? Some of these bolts are 4' -5' tall. What worries me is this season not all of the chicory is bolting. Next season I am guessing much more will bolt after being established for one year. I am wondering how I properly manage that.

I will say that where the chicory is well established so is the clover, it seems to shelter it and allow it room to fill in under the chicory so I see the benefits of mixing the two. Especially during the dry hot summer we had.

My plan is a couple of applications of Imox and Cleth next spring but I am wondering now if I should use Butyrac instead and let only the strong Chicory survive perhaps thinning some of it out of the clover stand?

The picture is what the plot looked like in Late August. I don't have a photo of the bolting but it gives you an idea of how much chicory is present.

Attachments

• IMG_8904.jpg
    IMG_8904.jpg
    720.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
I wouldn't be worrying. I'd be throwing back Crown Peach and Club Soda to celebrate that plot. You're gonna have a mountain of deer on it for the next two weeks until it's all gone.

I don't suspect you'll have any residue to deal with by the end of this month. In my area, the deer eat those bolts to the ground, regardless of how long they are. And mine get to 6' across the board, and some zoomers get to 7 and 8'.

Your plot looks awesome, so i wouldn't change a thing. I have a little chicory mixed in with my clover and alfalfa plots and the chicory will bolt, but then the critters end up eating everything anyway.

I wouldn't be worrying. I'd be throwing back Crown Peach and Club Soda to celebrate that plot. You're gonna have a mountain of deer on it for the next two weeks until it's all gone.

I don't suspect you'll have any residue to deal with by the end of this month. In my area, the deer eat those bolts to the ground, regardless of how long they are. And mine get to 6' across the board, and some zoomers get to 7 and 8'.
This. Celebrate your success!

I had trail cam pics a few years ago of a 168 inch deer taking 18 inches out of the top of bolting chicory in one bite. If it’s the good stuff, they eat stems, flowers and the whole plant on my place. I’ve also had pictures of does ripping the remains of chicory plants out of the ground in late winter and eating the roots. Good luck.

I had trail cam pics a few years ago of a 168 inch deer taking 18 inches out of the top of bolting chicory in one bite. If it’s the good stuff, they eat stems, flowers and the whole plant on my place. I’ve also had pictures of does ripping the remains of chicory plants out of the ground in late winter and eating the roots. Good luck.
Got any big ones yet?

Thanks for the feedback all, and I appreciate the compliments. That is a somewhat self serving picture over how the best parts of the plot look. If you look closely in the distance there are some areas that are not doing quite so well. But wherever there is Chicory there is clover under it. I hand seeded a bit over 2 acres so I may not have done a perfect job. Some gaps are literal straight lines which leads me to believe I got off track broadcasting. I overseeded it with WR and that is filling in some of the gaps pretty well for the time being. I will get through spring and summer weed/grass control and mowing then assess the strips, maybe create some annual strips of different forage. My pops is 83, I built him a stand overlooking this plot that he can get up into so hopefully it draws something out for him to get a crack at this fall. Fingers crossed.

RJAJr,

Are you showing off?

Nice job!

bill
That's what I was going to say. Nice humble brag lol. I had a stand that looked even more concentrated with chicory than yours and it is my best plot. There was a time where it looked like it was about 75% chicory. Eventually the alfalfa and clover filled in any gaps.

I freaking love what chicory does for my plots.

IMO best fall food source there is. Can’t get to thick. Mow it mid to late May and again in early September. Enjoy the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk