Chicory filling an important time gap for me

I used to plant chicory every year but then got away from it.. it’s coming back in the mix !

One of my more successful chicory/red clover plantings the next spring:

View attachment 53407
One of my more successful chicory/red clover plantings the next spring:

View attachment 53407
Native. Do me a favor. Take 3 pictures of the worst looking parts of your property and post them. Damn all your stuff looks so good!

So your saying that you can spray IMOX over chicory and clover? I did buy a quart of this last year.....but it was too late in the season to use it. I had planned to use it this spring....but really do not have a big weed problem this year......and will likely kill most of the weeds along with the clover and rye when I spray with Gly in about two weeks. I've read and heard good things about IMOX....if used early on small "weeds". Also, I wonder about killing my rye?

I'm wondering about "plant back" time for brasica when using IMOX?

So your saying that you can spray IMOX over chicory and clover? I did buy a quart of this last year.....but it was too late in the season to use it. I had planned to use it this spring....but really do not have a big weed problem this year......and will likely kill most of the weeds along with the clover and rye when I spray with Gly in about two weeks. I've read and heard good things about IMOX....if used early on small "weeds". Also, I wonder about killing my rye?

I'm wondering about "plant back" time for brasica when using IMOX?
It will kill most grasses, but I use it mainly for broadleaves. And I add Clethodim since it’s cheap and easy.

It has shorter soil life than pursuit. I usually want to give 3 months or so before my fall planting.

Plantback intervals are a bit of mixed bag. The ones that are reported are for commercial crops so usually much more strict than those used for us food plotters.

Do you guys have a preferred brand of Chicory? I'm putting together a plan for fall planting.

Do you guys have a preferred brand of Chicory? I'm putting together a plan for fall planting.
Forb feast, puna 2, Six point/WI chic magnet, endure Chicory

I don’t know that I’ve studied eating patterns enough to know which they prefer the most. I should do a better job with that.

I like Commander and Winna the best, but I have also planted Oasis and Antler with great results. I think my deer would eat any forage type chicory. Deer will even browse wild chicory, but it isn't as palatable as the forage varieties.

I used to work at a place where a lot of wild chicory grew in hay fields. The guy I rode with was a deer hunter. Once when I noticed lots of chicory blooms in the hayfields, I commented on it. He looked at me and said, "Did you know deer will eat that stuff?” 😂

We like chicory mixed into clover plots. I've read that chicory is a great miner of soil minerals, so good for antler growth?? It has a deep tap root, so dry periods don't seem to bother it.

We've planted Oasis, Forb Feast, and Six Point chicories over the years. Didn't focus on variety preference - one vs. another. Our deer definitely eat the chicory.

With our short growing seasons i have a hard time finding an application for Imox on anything but a perennial chicory/clover plot that isn't getting cereals or brassicas planted in the fall due to fear of residual damage. Maybe if used in the spring if you don't have cereals you want to grow for additional biomass/mulch?

Native. Do me a favor. Take 3 pictures of the worst looking parts of your property and post them. Damn all your stuff looks so good!

Okay, you asked for this. Here is my Biden Apple Tree and my Hillary Food Plot. Don't force me to post my Obama Onions.........
IMG_2742.jpg

IMG_2738.jpg

Couldn’t agree more on the chicory…I planted some with clover on my septic mound and it’s been a huge draw, especially with the dry weather. I have been able to water it some but I have a bachelor group coming out daily to hit it the last 3 weeks or so. Definitely planning to bump up the amount I have on my properties.EA87B55A-B0E9-4639-B7A8-25A83294A645.jpeg84B6D719-4D81-40FF-B002-71807C35453F.jpeg