Help me compare a Land Pride LP500 drill with a Genesis 5 Light drill

My main point is the Genesis is now as expensive or more so than the GP. The only advantage is it can be lifted with a smaller tractor. That’s it. If you have a big enough tractor, GP or LP all the way. No brainer imo.

Agree, no doubt.

I assume you're referring to the LP 3P500? Yes.. On no til drills they need the weight because you have no til coulters as well as the openers. Unless you're planting into concrete, they really aren't needed. Even Bill Winke (Sponsored by RTP for a while) took them off his Genesis and sent them back because he claimed they were useless for him. Upside - This gave his drill even more weight on the openers.

Most farmers now that use planters in no til situations, will ditch the front (no til) coulters, so they can get more down pressure on the single set of openers. Even with HD downpressure springs, pneumatics, etc. If you spread out the weight between two points (coulters + openers), more weight is needed.

The advantage IMO of a true no til drill like the LP-NT Series or an RTP Genesis is you can always plant regardless of the surface or condition (compacted/never broken ground, corn/milo trash, etc). Where something like a 3P500, you just have to be more selective.. FWIW - Weight is around 200lbs / set of openers on a 3P500. Compare to a SAYA 505 "no til drill" which has even less weight. Then add the coulters on top of that to spread that weight even further.. I'd take the LP every time :emoji_wink:

It seems like the majority of genesis owners don’t use the coulters so wouldn’t the 3p500 be a fair comparison in that situation?

It seems like the majority of genesis owners don’t use the coulters so wouldn’t the 3p500 be a fair comparison in that situation?
The 3P500 is lighter weight than the Genesis 5. I believe it is a very fair comparison....but there are no reviews of the 3P 500 (either by Land Pride or Great Plains owners).

The 3P500 is lighter weight than the Genesis 5. I believe it is a very fair comparison....but there are no reviews of the 3P 500 (either by Land Pride or Great Plains owners).

Agree, hard to find. Falls between the Genesis 5 Light and the Tar River in "weight per opener." It's also somewhere in the middle price wise..

Agree, hard to find. Falls between the Genesis 5 Light and the Tar River in "weight per opener." It's also somewhere in the middle price wise..
^ Agreed. I have an opportunity to buy either the Land Pride 3P500 or a Genesis 5 Light this spring. I know the Tar River can do the job as I have one.....but I get concerned about the long term reliability of the Tar River Saya 505 (which I plan to sell as soon as I am satisfied with one of these other products). I can get last years price on the Genesis 5 L......which makes both brands quite competitive in price. I do like having the small seed box on the LP....but most of the seed I put down is in a mix anyway......and the LP drill scatters the seed on top of the ground in front of the press wheels. Not too wild about that. Even my Saya505 has front slicing coulters....the others do not. I am a bit torn on what to do.

I suppose these choices are a good problem to have. Some of these things are just new to me.....I'm sold on regenerative Ag.....just dazed and confused on how to make it happen. Grin. ;)

and the LP drill scatters the seed on top of the ground in front of the press wheels. Not too wild about that.
I’m curious about this. I thought they all dropped seed between the openers?

Last edited:
I’m curious about this. I thought they all dropped seed between the openers?
Yep....as I understand it the small seed box does not deliver the seeds into the trench via the double disk openers.....instead I scatters seed behind the openers and gets pushed into the ground by the press wheels. I dont like that idea very much. Not sure if this is the method used by other GP / LP drills??? But I dont think so.

I have a LP drill and have noted that much of the small seed is dropped outside of the trench. This is exactly how I want it. Do you really want tiny seeds like clovers, alfalfa, brassicas or switchgrass buried an inch to an inch and a half below the surface? Good luck getting it to eventually get above ground level. How deep do you think these seeds are planted when we frost seed or otherwise broadcast them on the surface of the soil?

I have planted all of the above seeds and many more with my LP drill and have always had excellent germination and growth. Disturb the soil slightly with the coulters and/or openers, scatter the seed on top of the loosened soil, and press the seed into that loose soil with the closing wheels. Voila! Perfect planting of small seeds. Just add water and done.

I have posted many photos on these threads of all of these various plots I have planted with my drill and the proof is in the pudding. It works extremely well the way these drills are currently engineered - don’t overthink it. Keep in mind that these drills have separate seed boxes and separate seed tubes for directing the seed to the soil. They work perfectly as is. The large seed drops into the trench at the depth you have set and the small seed is dropped near the surface. Could not be happier with my LP drill.

I have a LP drill and have noted that much of the small seed is dropped outside of the trench. This is exactly how I want it. Do you really want tiny seeds like clovers, alfalfa, brassicas or switchgrass buried an inch to an inch and a half below the surface? Good luck getting it to eventually get above ground level. How deep do you think these seeds are planted when we frost seed or otherwise broadcast them on the surface of the soil?

I have planted all of the above seeds and many more with my LP drill and have always had excellent germination and growth. Disturb the soil slightly with the coulters and/or openers, scatter the seed on top of the loosened soil, and press the seed into that loose soil with the closing wheels. Voila! Perfect planting of small seeds. Just add water and done.

I have posted many photos on these threads of all of these various plots I have planted with my drill and the proof is in the pudding. It works extremely well the way these drills are currently engineered - don’t overthink it. Keep in mind that these drills have separate seed boxes and separate seed tubes for directing the seed to the soil. They work perfectly as is. The large seed drops into the trench at the depth you have set and the small seed is dropped near the surface. Could not be happier with my LP drill.

Seems many of the Great Plains owners are not aware of the differences in the 3 Point models. I am only interested in the 3P models. Do you own a LP or GP 3P500 or a 3P600? Or instead, do you own a pull type drill (606 NT?) with coulters and openers? That would be like comparing apples and oranges....IMO.

Seems many of the Great Plains owners are not aware of the differences in the 3 Point models. I am only interested in the 3P models. Do you own a LP or GP 3P500 or a 3P600? Or instead, do you own a pull type drill (606 NT?) with coulters and openers? That would be like comparing apples and oranges....IMO.

Apples and Oranges. You kidding me Foggy? My drill is the pull behind 606NT, but when I look at the back end of the 3pt600 it looks exactly the same to me as far as the boxes, coulters, openers, seed tubes, closing wheels - the entire planting mechanism is concerned. What is so different about planting? Please enlighten me. Thx

F0D2ABFB-E24D-4D80-B831-FF6E72426C5C.jpeg
C849F9CC-1E8C-4A38-974C-21A1968755EE.jpeg

Are these not coulters and openers pictured here on this 3Pt600?

105A21FD-7EA2-46BB-9F7B-D84A078EFF14.jpeg

^^. Well you never did say the model drill you own....but I assume its a 606 NT? So the differences?? Weight for starters.....like 2x the weight. Are your seed cups operated by a center wheel as shown in the pics?? Then how about those front coulters?.....see any on the 3P models?? I dont doubt that you are happy with your GP drill.....but I would rather hear some reviews from somebody that owns and has operated a 3P model. If you want to broadcast and pack seeds why not buy one of the woods seeders....or many of the other varieties of seeders? ....you dont need a drill to do that function.

EDIT: RE-reading your post above.....I do NOT see any front slicing coulters on those pics. Rather, they stagger the seed trench openers to let trash pass through (according to the claims). I am not bashing your drill or the GP or LP products. I simply would like to hear from someone whom owns a 3P model. There are no reviews that I can find on the interwebs. I would like to see some in operation prior to plunking my money down.

FRUTHER.....LP or GP do not advertise these drills as a No Till product. Read the description that says prepped ground or minimally tilled ground in your post above. Then you show a pic of a 606 product in a no till situation?? Apples and oranges.

Last edited:
^^. Well you never did say the model drill you own....but I assume its a 606 NT? So the differences?? Weight for starters.....like 2x the weight. Are your seed cups operated by a center wheel as shown in the pics?? Then how about those front coulters?.....see any on the 3P models?? I dont doubt that you are happy with your GP drill.....but I would rather hear some reviews from somebody that owns and has operated a 3P model. If you want to broadcast and pack seeds why not buy one of the woods seeders....or many of the other varieties of seeders? ....you dont need a drill to do that function.

EDIT: RE-reading your post above.....I do NOT see any front slicing coulters on those pics. Rather, they stagger the seed trench openers to let trash pass through (according to the claims). I am not bashing your drill or the GP or LP products. I simply would like to hear from someone whom owns a 3P model. There are no reviews that I can find on the interwebs. I would like to see some in operation prior to plunking my money down.

I think he's just saying the way the seed is dropped from small and large seed boxes is the same amongst all of the 3pt and pull type no-till and min-till models.

The 3p500 is an intriguing option though. Less than half the price of a 606NT and would make sense for me on my various 1/2-1 acre plots based on being a 3 pt. I'd think you could add weight to get it real close to the same weight/opener as a genesis 5 light.

On that genesis FB group (seen you on there) there was a guy who responded to one of my inquiries about pull kit vs 3 point genesis drills saying he has a LP NT and a genesis 8. He left his email or phone # so I could reach out with specific inquiries. Might be worth chatting with him on the differences he sees when planting small/large seed mixes in one pass between the two or just what he thinks about how the small seeds are spilled in front of the compaction wheels.

Another thing that seemed worth considering to me after reading the Genesis facebook group comments was complaints about genesis seeding depth control and how the GP/LP center drive wheel design would combat some of those issues. One of the guys had fabricated up a center wheel for his genesis to try to mimic that function to aid in seed depth.

Last edited:
I think he's just saying the way the seed is dropped from small and large seed boxes is the same amongst all of the 3pt and pull type no-till and min-till models.

The 3p500 is an intriguing option though. Less than half the price of a 606NT and would make sense for me on my various 1/2-1 acre plots based on being a 3 pt. I'd think you could add weight to get it real close to the same weight/opener as a genesis 5 light.

On that genesis FB group (seen you on there) there was a guy who responded to one of my inquiries about pull kit vs 3 point genesis drills saying he has a LP NT and a genesis 8. He left his email or phone # so I could reach out with specific inquiries. Might be worth chatting with him on the differences he sees when planting small/large seed mixes in one pass between the two or just what he thinks about how the small seeds are spilled in front of the compaction wheels.

Another thing that seemed worth considering to me after reading the Genesis facebook group comments was complaints about genesis seeding depth control and how the GP/LP center drive wheel design would combat some of those issues. One of the guys had fabricated up a center wheel for his genesis to try to mimic that function to aid in seed depth.
Yep...I think I understand what your saying.....and I am/was leaning toward those 3P models....as I have light soils and I think they can work for me.. But folks keep comparing the NT pull type models to these new lighter drills.....yes, there are similarities in some ways, but they are not the same.....and I simply would like to see a decent (video?) review by an owner of such products before putting my hard earned money into one. Comparing a 606 NT to a 3P600 is not good enough....grin. I already own a product that gets the job done (SAYA 505) and I am trying to learn more before I "upgrade". Thanks.

FRUTHER.....LP or GP do not advertise these drills as a No Till product. Read the description that says prepped ground or minimally tilled ground in your post above. Then you show a pic of a 606 product in a no till situation?? Apples and oranges.

Yes - The model number of my drill (606NT) is on the back of the drill in the photo I posted. My bad, I guess. I thought the drill you were referring to was a 3 Pt No-Till drill. If you need to prep the soil to use it, then it sounds like it isn’t much different than the conventional JD drill I sold when I purchased my no-till drill.

As far as planting is concerned, yes my NT drill seed cups are exactly the same. My pull behind model turns the drive shaft via engagement of the drive wheel on the axle where the 3 pt uses a center wheel but as long as the wheels are engaged and moving the planting mechanisms are exactly the same on either of them. Apples to Apples

Hopefully someone with a model similar to what you are looking at can chime in to help you further.

Yes - Exactly. Thanks

FWIW below are the specs on the 3P500 and 3P600 Land Pride Drills. Pretty light weight as compared to the 606NT and the 3P606NT. I understand your point(s) about the seed drop(s) locations. The newer light weight products may work well in light soils without the NT coulters.....just as the Genesis seems to do. Here are those specs....note the machine weights.

Last edited:

06 Series Opener​

The 06 Series row unit utilizes the “Fluff and Plant” no-till system with an integrally-mounted coulter to cut residue and prepare a mini seedbed for the trailing double-disc opener. The opener discs are 13.5" in diameter and 4mm thick with 205 triple-lip sealed bearings, and ¼" opener disc lead. Our unique full-length seed tube design and trailing flap control the seed all the way to the bottom of the seed trench where the seed stays in place.

Relevant Product Page​

606NT

Note that the 606NT and 3P606NT use an "06 Series Opener" as shown in the above illustration.

Whilst the 3P500 and 3P600 use an "00 Series opener" with 4 speed gearbox. (Which I will cannot get the illustration to copy and paste. )

00 SERIES​

Choice of 2x13 Single Press Wheels or 3x13 Center Rib Press Wheels.

^^ It's unclear to me that these are the same opener systems (from Land Prides own website...the model numbers are not the same and the description is different)

I rest my case. Grin. (I know.....at this point it feels like I am riding a dead horse. I just want to talk to somebody that has used this new product before I spend my money)

Last edited:
One thing I noticed about pictures of the openers on the 3p500 is they seem kind of blunt on the edges compared to the pictures I’ve seen of the genesis openers which look thinner and more pointed and thus like they would cut into an unprepped seedbed better. Haven’t seen any good close pics of the 3p500 openers though.

Yep....as I understand it the small seed box does not deliver the seeds into the trench via the double disk openers.....instead I scatters seed behind the openers and gets pushed into the ground by the press wheels. I dont like that idea very much. Not sure if this is the method used by other GP / LP drills??? But I dont think so.

What don't you like about it? Small seed like clover and brassica need to be on top with a slight covering of soil. You don't want clover, brassica, or most other small seed in the bottom of the trench between the double disc openers, most would never come up. Is that what you like?

GP is the way to go, I guess the Genesis has a feature or 2 that's cool, but the GP is a proven work-horse.

What don't you like about it? Small seed like clover and brassica need to be on top with a slight covering of soil. You don't want clover, brassica, or most other small seed in the bottom of the trench between the double disc openers, most would never come up. Is that what you like?

GP is the way to go, I guess the Genesis has a feature or 2 that's cool, but the GP is a proven work-horse.

Believe me.....I WANT to agree with you....but these are NEW PRODUCTS for 2021 / 2022.....and their are NO OWNER REVIEWS of these units to my knowledge. I can own a 3P500 for about $12,xxx but I am uncertain if it will fulfill my needs. I am relatively sure it will......I just need to be SOLD via a review. I am not intending to offend anyone.....Just doing my homework on a new product offering.

Has anyone even seen a 3P500 or a 3p600 Great Plains or Land Pride drill ? (same products - different paint) I really want to pull the trigger. ;)