Graft rubber bands

Red

5 year old buck +
how long after grafting should I remove the rubber bands from my grafts. I used parafilm and then bands over to keep the joint tight until healed.
I grafted pretty late, 2.5 weeks ago. Most have buds starting to break and I'm in the process of getting them out of the basement and planted outside.
image.jpg

I did exactly the same thing, parafilm tape and rubber grafting bands. I am having much better success than my first attempt last year without the rubber bands. As you indicated, I also found the rubber bands enabled me to make the joit very tight.

I did my grafts about a month ago and I have not taken them off yet. Of the 22 I did I still have 3 that I'm waiting on. I have had mine in my shed on a concrete floor and with the temps and floor so cool the grafts have been growing slowly. Mine are ahead of yours but I plan on waiting at least another month before I take off the bands.

Depending on how vigorous the grower you might need to slice the bands at some point. I had some that started to swell around the bands last year and they were grafting bands. I wouldnt get in a hurry to slice them until that point or as Stu said they will eventually break down from sunlight.

Thanks.
They are regular bands so I'll have to cut them. Sounds like 2 months is about the right time to keep them on.
As an aside, I'm planting them in a DIY self watering grow bag system. Haven't seen any posts on them here so I thought I'd post a pic. Still need to finish planting and plumbing but it's coming along.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I've tried something similar with my chestnut tress, but I'm not using a float valve to fill the gutter with water(looks like you are using pvc pipe with holes drilled in instead of a gutter), I fear that is too much water for chestnuts.

Last year I would add water to gutter manually to water from the bottom, once in a while I would soak them good from the top letting the water drain into the gutter.

This year I think one of my gutter ends is leaking, but we have had enough rain this year I haven't looked into to find out yet.

Love the blue tick hound! Got one myself.

Grafts are coming along pretty well for a first timer. Out of 25 it looks like 4 failures. 2 were on me the other 2 I think were bad scion as both of that variety failed. Growth is anywhere from tiny 1/2" leaves on some to 4" on others. A Hudson's Golden Gem is even filled with flowers.
As for the rubber bands, nature answered my question for me. They are starting to break down in the sun already. They should fall off on their own just fine.
The pictures are from a week ago. They have put on pretty good growth since.

Wklman, Doug isn't a blue tick but he looks pretty darn close if you don't get a good look at his head and short tail. He's a super sized German Shorthaired Pointer. Black and white rather than the liver colored ones. He's a big help in the tree nursery. I think he has stepped on at least 6 trees already. Graceful, he isn't.
20150523_Grafting_04.JPG 20150527_Grafting_01.JPG 20150527_Grafting_02.JPG

He just turned 7. Doug started out as my hunting dog but has transitioned to more of the family pet as I don't get much time to take him out bird hunting over the last few years. Pheasants pretty much disappeared on our property in MN and I haven't gotten out to ND and MT the last couple years. So, for now, he sleeps in the sun and eats all the food my son drops at meal time.20090705_Doug_002.jpg

Yeah, the pheasants have taken quite a hit the last couple of years that's for sure. I've got a pair on mine and am hoping there's more then just the 2 around to get the population back up. It's a shame as I used to be thick with them.

I have heard two roosters on the farm this spring. Only one last winter.

A few years ago, I could hear 5 or 6 roosters in the spring.

The only thing I like is that there are less turkeys around at this point. Not a gobble this spring.

Somewhat different at my place. The pheasants did fine last year with less snow compared to the long winter we had two years ago. Two years ago we had a very long and very cold winter that killed allot of pheasants but in only a year my place and the surrounding area has rebounded nicely.

Cover is the key as most pheasants freeze from exposure and don't starve. A combination of cattail slew, woods, brush and prairie grass will greatly increase your odds of steady pheasant numbers. The best pheasant cover has all 4 habitat types I listed along with food in close proximity.

Red, no offence but I see very little quality pheasant cover in your photo. If you read any of the Pheasants Forever or DNR info cover is the weak link in the chain across the pheasant range, particularly nesting cover.

No offence taken. That photo is in a large cattle pasture that isn't my property. We were just out on a training day there, not real hunting. I've got everything but the prairie grasses at my place. unfortunately I don't have more room to add a couple acres of it.

Jerry-after a quick look, that publication seems pretty good.

I did not check the date, but I wonder if the line between intensive farmland and forest has moved.

I'm certain it was published some time ago but it still applies today. In general if you can provide cover, re-production areas (nesting) and food pheasants thrive. If you are not seeing the birds you think you should you probably need to add something to your mix.

On the Pheasant forums the general consensus is the pheasants did very well over winter and most people are seeing increased numbers. Pheasants are prolific reproducers with hens making up to 3 attempts every spring to produce chicks. If you have nesting cover like a good stand of Prairie grass you will get good reproduction. Rain and cold weather from June through mid-July can kill allot of chicks. I'm hoping for warmer temps and reasonable rains the next couple month.

Looks like that publication was from 2001, but I would agree that it applies universally. Good link Freeborn!