Pear Tree Grafts

TreesuitSC

5 year old buck +
Need your help. I have some “wild deer pears” I want to graft to a different variety.

I know when grafting persimmons to wait until it puts on small leaves.

Is that the same with pears? I may have waited to late. The persimmons take longer but the pears have already set flowers and leaves.
5a5221f6faa74b8e3cd1bc8b317d6d7d.jpg

You will probably still be alright if they are done very soon. You can always just select a portion of those upright branches in your picture to graft over. If they fail your "root stock" will still survive and you can retry next Spring.

I graft pears into May and June.

Thank you!

You will probably still be alright if they are done very soon. You can always just select a portion of those upright branches in your picture to graft over. If they fail your "root stock" will still survive and you can retry next Spring.

Or T-bud late summer

I am in the same boat as you. The pear I am wanting to graft looks very similar to yours right now. I've held off on grafting due to possible late frosts occurring. I will probably graft the tree in April or May. The videos I've watched on bark grafting have said as long as the bark is slipping, the graft has a chance to take. Seeing this thread has me worried that I've waited too late lol. I am in North MS, zone 7.

I grafted 6 wild callery pears over to known varieties last weekend in 7B southern VA. Seemed to be the right time based on what I have read, trees weren’t quite as far along as the pic above, but pretty close.

Im sure you will be fine if you do it now. I wondered about late frosts, but remember for the first week or two the scion is still dormant and shouldn’t be impacted.

Y'all are fine... June in MS may be getting a bit hot, but you're not too late right now, by any means.
I'm up here just north of the TN/KY line... thinking about doing a few pears... but I know to hold off... too much likelihood of a freeze yet... and my frost-free date is still over a month off. Gotta bide my time a bit yet.

We are in the Lowcountry of SC and we have seen some warm temps so far. A few days in the 80’s.

Next week they are calling for some below freezing mornings. Going to be rough on my pears and blueberries.