gophers in the orchard

buckdeer1

5 year old buck +
Anyone else have problems?I have had what I would say was them damage young fruit trees until they died.I haven't had much luck catching but caught 2 this weekend one at the orchard and one where I was trying to get them out of a cemetery they were causing alot of damage.They can be tough to catch anyone else fight these vermin.I be they would make good bait for coyote dirt hole sets

Anyone else have problems?I have had what I would say was them damage young fruit trees until they died.I haven't had much luck catching but caught 2 this weekend one at the orchard and one where I was trying to get them out of a cemetery they were causing alot of damage.They can be tough to catch anyone else fight these vermin.I be they would make good bait for coyote dirt hole sets

I constantly battle pocket gophers and had one in the orchard in the fall that I could not get. Traps and poison didn’t work. I have one every fall.

Are you talking pocket or striped gophers? Striped do not do much damage.

This summer I switched to setting traps on the side or even top of the hole and did well. Wet balls of soil in the fall ruined my record and the gopher kept snapping the traps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orchard is planted on 20 acre tract , coarse soils sand no gophers removed for at least 20 years prior there were lots ,started trapping township pays one dollar bounty here so saved feet paid property taxes that first year with gopher bounty , Have been at it 15 years now and have used a gopher machine last few years but still trap every year some move in spring and fall , not many mounds any more , have to be diligent see a new digging get a trap in it . They will take out young trees older larger root mass will tolerate some damage , gophers don't seem to impact lager trees as much , but I dislike em so much have no tolerance for any in the trees . we trap it all adjoining land , frontage ditches , its a daily battle more so spring and fall as that's when they disperse from established near by colonies .

Orchard is planted on 20 acre tract , coarse soils sand no gophers removed for at least 20 years prior there were lots ,started trapping township pays one dollar bounty here so saved feet paid property taxes that first year with gopher bounty , Have been at it 15 years now and have used a gopher machine last few years but still trap every year some move in spring and fall , not many mounds any more , have to be diligent see a new digging get a trap in it . They will take out young trees older larger root mass will tolerate some damage , gophers don't seem to impact lager trees as much , but I dislike em so much have no tolerance for any in the trees . we trap it all adjoining land , frontage ditches , its a daily battle more so spring and fall as that's when they disperse from established near by colonies .
What is a gopher machine?I caught one this week with a spike trap and one with a new victor black box.I have a few in the orchard but am trying to clean up a cemetery they are tearing up

What is a gopher machine?I caught one this week with a spike trap and one with a new victor black box.I have a few in the orchard but am trying to clean up a cemetery they are tearing up

Gopher machines lay down artificial tunnels with gopher bait. They are pulled by a small tractor.

They may have new technology, but the old ones would plug in heavy wet soils( gophers often not a problem in these places anyway).

In very light sand with little sod over it, they may fail as artificial funnels would collapse.

There is also a small handheld device that dispenses poison.

I have sandy soil and the gopher population in my neighborhood is high. I use box traps to catch most of my gophers, but if I have a sneaky one that plugs the box trap a few times I use a small pan trap. You can put those pan traps way back in the tunnel and I've found that's a good way to catch the smart gophers.

I usually trap them all out of my property by mid summer and then a few weeks later some new gophers find their way over. I've watched a bunch of the gopher mounds lead right to my young apple trees, so I try to stay on top of the new arrivals.

What is the active ingredient in gopher bait?

Is it a poison like bromethalin,etc?

bill

What is the active ingredient in gopher bait?

Is it a poison like bromethalin,etc?

bill

There are different kinds. Fleet Farm has a pellet product and my Dad used to say that you’ll just as well throw the bottle at them as use it.

I like the strychnine/ sorghum seed product which is only available in some areas and various rules for sale. For larger quantities to buy it you need a license where I live.

There are different kinds. Fleet Farm has a pellet product and my Dad used to say that you’ll just as well throw the bottle at them as use it.

I like the strychnine/ sorghum seed product which is only available in some areas and various rules for sale. For larger quantities to buy it you need a license where I live.

In Minnesota i have needed a license to purchase at times and other times not , i prefer the strychnine product , recently have bought five gallon pails strychnine product from mimbachs in st clould and they did not ask for license , years past the product had labeling that required the lic number , last batch did not

In Minnesota i have needed a license to purchase at times and other times not , i prefer the strychnine product , recently have bought five gallon pails strychnine product from mimbachs in st clould and they did not ask for license , years past the product had labeling that required the lic number , last batch did not

Local creameries in this same area also carry it.

I caught another one in the victor black box trap today,I am using peanut butter for bait now to see if it makes any difference and I ordered a
Nash choker loops trap,they say for moles but same kind of tunnel and this company has been in business since 1900 so something must work

I caught another one in the victor black box trap today,I am using peanut butter for bait now to see if it makes any difference and I ordered a
Nash choker loops trap,they say for moles but same kind of tunnel and this company has been in business since 1900 so something must work

Could you post a picture of that trap and also of the gopher?
IMG_2724.jpg

Are you talking about a different type of gopher?

nope looks just like a miniature beaver caught another today in a modified gopher hawk trap.I is a tube with a spring that engages and kils them.I took and drilled a hole through a piece of plywood that it fits tight in and that way i can adjust the depth so that it's right on the bottom of tunnel.To one I caught today was in a cemetery that is getting tore up,this is second one there.I don't have a pic but will get one later as I check them twice a day if I can

went and checked and moved around,here is pic of victor black box,you really need two at a set most of time unless you are setting at a mound I will get a picture of the gopher hawk tomorrowvictor trap.jpg

Another good morning on the trapline caught one in the gopher hawk trap and one in the victor black boxvictor gopher.jpghawk gopher trap 1.jpg

That is funny,however can you imagine what could happen if some poor soul is visiting the cemetery and they start hearing singing coming from below the ground

Another good morning on the trapline caught one in the gopher hawk trap and one in the victor black boxView attachment 27529View attachment 27530
Have you caught any moles? I got invaded by moles this summer and I need a good way to get rid of them. Which of those two traps do you like best?

Have you caught any moles? I got invaded by moles this summer and I need a good way to get rid of them. Which of those two traps do you like best?

Me too. I can tell you the ones I don’t like. Scissor traps. There a pain and they don’t always go off.

Me too. I can tell you the ones I don’t like. Scissor traps. There a pain and they don’t always go off.
Lol, scissor trap were my next hope. I have some inline type traps that don't fit the tunnels worth a darn, nor catch them worth a darn.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk