Giving my place a name - need some ideas

We've always just called our place "the hunting land". But we do put lots of signs up naming our trails and locations throughout the property. We have signs up: Tom's Trail, The Rainbow Trail, Woodtick Trail, Power-Line Plot, Three Oaks Plot, Connie's Corners, Grand Central Plot, Grand View Stand, Spike Camp........and many more. Much easier to discuss where you are headed when you call things by name.

I use treated 1x4's to make signs. We've routed in the letters or my wife has hand-painted letters on the signs. Most of them get screwed to a tree or a deer stand.

Also, I put our 911 number and address on my vehicles.....so that if somebody gets hurt, or we have a fire or police need.....at least they can tell them where to come.

We've always just called our place "the hunting land". But we do put lots of signs up naming our trails and locations throughout the property. We have signs up: Tom's Trail, The Rainbow Trail, Woodtick Trail, Power-Line Plot, Three Oaks Plot, Connie's Corners, Grand Central Plot, Grand View Stand, Spike Camp........and many more. Much easier to discuss where you are headed when you call things by name.

I use treated 1x4's to make signs. We've routed in the letters or my wife has hand-painted letters on the signs.

Also, I put our 911 number and address on my vehicles.....so that if somebody gets hurt, or we have a fire or police need.....at least they can tell them where to come.

I think that is a great idea!

In northern Missouri here, I do not believe we have 911 yet. But that may have changed in the past 5 years. I need to check into it! Thanks for posting!

We have names for places as well "Doe point", "2-man", "triple oak", "big red", "big white", "squirrel tree" & "north basin" - no signs however.

I have a buddy that runs a cam every once in a while on my place or sees a buck and likes to name them. I could really care less. They are not pets. My girls as me what we should name my mounted deer. I told them "08", "11" & "13" (these are the years they had been shot). They didn't think that was creative enough. I told them they can name the deer once they shoot them. I will put out a cam for inventory reasons but I tend to dream big and take the "surprise" bucks as they come.

Still chewing on names.

A camp in the area where I grew up had a name some of you can relate to - " Camp No Damn Deer ". It was on a big sign you couldn't miss. It got lots of chuckles and became somewhat of a local landmark. People would say " ......... go about a mile past Camp No Damn Deer ".

I was looking at the St. Louis County (northern MN) GIS website and happened to find 40 acres owned by the "Legion of Doom". That was the taxpayer name on the county website!

I was looking at the St. Louis County (northern MN) GIS website and happened to find 40 acres owned by the "Legion of Doom". That was the taxpayer name on the county website!

That's funny!

When I was young and dumb and rented a house with 3 other idiots, We put the land line in the name " Harry H OWeed. For Harry High on Weed and it went through and was listed in the phone book. hahahahaha!

That's funny!

When I was young and dumb and rented a house with 3 other idiots, We put the land line in the name " Harry H OWeed. For Harry High on Weed and it went through and was listed in the phone book. hahahahaha!
we keep getting renewal notices for National Geographic at work.....addressed to "men's room stall 4"

How many of you guys have actually named your place?

This got brought up today and I never really thought about it before. Where did you get your inspiration?

Best I can come up with at the moment is "Fall Creek Farm" - my place touches 2 branches of Fall Creek. Can't use the family name - most folks mispronounce it in this area.

How about "Naked as a J-Bird Ranch"? Then you could rent that lowland that always floods as "water front property" to a nudist colony. lol

I call my property "the sidehill". Thats what my grandfather always called it and thats how i've known it for as long as i can remember. Always cracked me up a little. a sidehill is also a hillside..semantics i suppose. However a sidehill indicates that its a hill to the side of something else of import....in my case the town below.

No name here. It's simply up north, the land, huntin land. Omaha Steve told me if we start naming bucks on cam he's gonna punch me in the face. That drives him nuts on the big shows.
Sounds like you need to name the first buck you get pics of next year "omaha steve"

Phil, great minds think alike. Given the j-bird reference and nakedness, I was thinking "Buck Naked Acres"

A camp in the area where I grew up had a name some of you can relate to - " Camp No Damn Deer ". It was on a big sign you couldn't miss. It got lots of chuckles and became somewhat of a local landmark. People would say " ......... go about a mile past Camp No Damn Deer ".
we have some colorful camp names up this way too.....and they most definitely serve as "mile markers" on the back roads. Oh well you go about 2 gullies past "boots in the grave" but not past camp bonehead.

My buddies property shares a small border that posters read "posted, patrolled and leased by the briskey mountain boys"

Phil, great minds think alike. Given the j-bird reference and nakedness, I was thinking "Buck Naked Acres"
Has a nice ring to it whip!

Its a grain farm and my hunting property where I live - not a nudist camp!

If I called it "Buck Naked Acres" I'd wake up with a yard full of hippies trying to smoke my corn!

Am I the only one the tends to see nudists that well.....I wish where not nudists? Why can't Kate Upton be a nudist? NO, most nudist I see have their parts hanging down where they shouldn't be! At least tuck those into your socks or something - that's just wrong!

The 1st time I worked on a foodplot on my farm, the rocks were terrible. Shortly thereafter it became "Big Rock"... As you can tell, I've used that name a time or two. I did't name the farm, it named itself!

Some other names we use on the farm: "Africa" "The Neck" "Permanent No Matter What" "Sudden Impact" "The Hilton" "Hochi Mihn" - they all have meaning behind them.

-John

Buck Snort Acres? Takes the right blend to name a camp. I got so many trails.....I thought about naming my place after one of my favorite cowboys as a kid: Happy Trails. Then considered: Trail of Tears ......for all the work thats gone into the place. Staying with the trails theme.....I suppose Pine Trails could work for me.

My wife and I spent some time to come up with a name for our boat: Knota - Kare :)
Never seen another boat by that name.

For as long as I have been hunting with my FIL they have two names for hunting spots. First chair and second chair. As you may guess first chair is indeed the first chair on the trail and second chair as the name implies is the second chair on the same trail. It works out great for three guys. First guy out gets first chair, second guy second, and third guy stays at camp to drink. If everyone hunted as this crew did...there would be lots of deer.

You could call it
Richwoods
Because every time you Hunt the land your so greatful to own you feel like the richest man in the world!

What!?!?!? Ummmm......no. I feel awkward now......... Just a little too "touchy feely" for me Jordan. I'll get beat up.....again....it will be like high school all over again!

What!?!?!? Ummmm......no. I feel awkward now......... Just a little too "touchy feely" for me Jordan. I'll get beat up.....again....it will be like high school all over again!
Hahaha WTH! how is that "touchy feely" that's actually a name of a town close to our farm an that's what my parents call their place.

DSC_0043.jpg
DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0053-1.jpg

Thought about rainbow farms but I don't want to chase off the the LG-BLT crowd. Though I enjoy a BLT a lot.

My friggin neighbor told every local that Ted Nugent bought the place and for a while I had kids stopping by to get their guitar signed and few provocative notes in the mail box. :D . So I thought about Teds place.

For now it's the Old Baughman farm. After the family that owned it for years.

To the locals it's known as where that crazy a$$ city boy lives :D