Geotextile?

Jim Timber

5 year old buck +
I just need to file the form and pay the fee and I'll be allowed to build a road through my type 7 wooded swamp.

MN DNR and every other resource seems to prefer leaving the native root layer and over-topping it with geotextile prior to adding fill.

I have 4' of soft peat over 3" of clay, so I don't "have" to float my road bed on corduroy - but I still think it's a good plan. Another option is to dump a layer of 4-6" rock then put the fabric down, then put the logs over that, more fabric, then gravel and sand to grade.

Home Depot sells the fabric online only, and then delivers for what appears to be $55 bucks. Is this a good source, or should I be checking with my gravel pit guys?

My neighbor had a septic system put in last fall and the guys delivering his gravel and sand gave me what sounded like incredibly cheap prices - $130 a load for an 11yd truck of sand (delivered), and the gravel was like $110. I asked about bigger rock (riprap size and a little bigger) and he said I'd need to come look at what they had before buying it to make sure it was what I wanted, but that was $110/load too.

So I think the fill side shouldn't be too bad. I just wonder if $400/roll for the fabric is going to be money well spent considering how lumpy the "bed" is with all the slash and previous corduroy (that's not even, and only 6' wide).

Thoughts?

I got some geotextile for some DIY smartpots at 123ponds (I think I got that right?)
They were cheaper than HD or Lowes... I'm not sure what length you'd need though. That's really all the experience I've had with it, so it might not even be available in what you're looking for.

Did u get approval because u are building?

I got approval because of the silvicultural exemption. If we convert the use of the road to a residential driveway, I'll have to do a replacement plan (seems like they go to lengths to discourage end-user replacement) or pay into the wetland bank for credits to the tune of $1 a square foot of impact.

The rolls home depot has are 12.5x400' or so. My road is roughly 250' long, and width is to be minimized, but I need to account for a semi's turning radius to enter/exit from a 16' wide two lane road (I'm going to need some extra room).

Looks like the geotextiles need to be tied into load bearing soils or they'll rip. Another method is using chain link fence to distribute the weight. That might be a better option as the road shoulder stays soggy much of the growing season.

What is a silvicultural exemption? Are u running some church out there or something?
I have 0 experience in this, because I never was able to get a permit.

Look it up. ;)

If you can't make the ground fairly "smooth", then you would be better off with geogrid than geofabric. Same function more or less as chain link, but longer and wider without the weight. With either geogrid or corduroy, you should be able to lay it right on the existing ground, and then fill over it.

Look it up. ;)
So in other words, if you are logging the far side of the marsh and you need access for logging equipment, you can put a road in across that marsh. When you first said silvicultural exemption, I thought maybe you had to be registered as a tree farm or something.

In my case, the swamp land-locks my upland: can't get in or out without going through it.

I think I'm going to see what the pit has for bigger chunky stuff and try to level it out with that. It won't be perfect, but a ford is better than what I've got now.

Then I'll work on some timber mats to hold things together over the base.

$15/yd for coarse fill delivered ($180/12yd truck load).

A bit more than the sand/dirt/gravel, but still pretty easy to swallow (that's what the swamp said... :D ).

Sand, gravel and even rock is fairly cheap if you have it in your general geographic region. My prices to have delivered are about the same as those you have quoted above. The delivery charge is usually the majority of the cost. I never order less than a full load, because of that reason. Heck one pit will generally give me free sand if I pick it up and they dont have to deliver. They have more sand than they know what to do with.

I've looked into getting a beater dump truck a couple times over the last couple years, but never committed to it.

This pit is about 10 miles away, so they don't have to travel far.

Sand is like 110/load. I'd imagine that covers fuel and the driver. If I wanted sand, I'd go dig it myself. I have plenty! :D I'll gladly pay for some sepparated stone. It's a lack-of-headache fee.

Those seem like great prices. That is less than I pay and I have to pick it up. Of coarse everything is more in NY.

These guys run a pit out of the back of their farm. If I didn't have all the trees, I could get a rock bucket and go scoop up the rock off my top soil too. In fact, once it warms up and I get my trails widened, I'll be removing several watermelon sized rocks out of my trails.

Turned in the applicatikn and paid the fee, but the guy who signs off wasn't in today, so I have to wait to hear back on it.

I'm hoping to get a couple loads of stone before the ground thaws.

When will you be laying the fence? I have 1/2 mile of 8 foot chain link you can make me an offer on for the footage you need, and I could include use of a 1 ton F350 with a Jayco dump bed you could haul the fence to your place with and haul rock with when you had the fence in place.

Let me know if your interested.

I sent you a message on Fb. That's a mighty generous offer! Thanks!

I just need to file the form and pay the fee and I'll be allowed to build a road through my type 7 wooded swamp.

MN DNR and every other resource seems to prefer leaving the native root layer and over-topping it with geotextile prior to adding fill.

I have 4' of soft peat over 3" of clay, so I don't "have" to float my road bed on corduroy - but I still think it's a good plan. Another option is to dump a layer of 4-6" rock then put the fabric down, then put the logs over that, more fabric, then gravel and sand to grade.

Home Depot sells the fabric online only, and then delivers for what appears to be $55 bucks. Is this a good source, or should I be checking with my gravel pit guys?

My neighbor had a septic system put in last fall and the guys delivering his gravel and sand gave me what sounded like incredibly cheap prices - $130 a load for an 11yd truck of sand (delivered), and the gravel was like $110. I asked about bigger rock (riprap size and a little bigger) and he said I'd need to come look at what they had before buying it to make sure it was what I wanted, but that was $110/load too.

So I think the fill side shouldn't be too bad. I just wonder if $400/roll for the fabric is going to be money well spent considering how lumpy the "bed" is with all the slash and previous corduroy (that's not even, and only 6' wide).

Thoughts?
I build a lot of roads

Thoughts?
I 'm a operating engineer and have built a lot of roads in WI. When we get to a soft spot in a road, we do what we call a "under cut" where we cut a extra 1-3 feet below grade and fill it back in with stone. We first lay geo grid down, then most of the time put 3 inch stone on top of the geo. This prevents the 3in stone from just pushing down into the soft soil and allows the stone to bridge over the soft ground. We use the fabric quite a bit to when a area is wet or silty, this helps prevent the mud/silt from pumping up into your stone. Ideally the peat should be stripped off. We are never allowed to build anything on organic material/ topsoil, but if that's what they want I guess that's what you have to do. Also we put the bigger stone down then cap it with 1 1/4 tb. This stone will be nice to finish grade.

Since the peat is under 6' deep, they don't suggest removing the root layer, and fabric is optional.