Geotextile?

Started out with this:

Added 5 of these:

Ended up with this (so far):

This fill should get me past the slop you were affraid of.

Keep the updates coming Jim

I moved some more rock yesterday, but didn't take any pics. The ground is still frozen hard so the base layer slides around if you put too much power to it (the tires just dig to the soil).

I've got the wetlands guy saying I need my container out of there pronto, so I'll be dealing with that today and cutting up and burning some brush on the back side.

The stone work is getting put on hold for a bit 'til things soften up.

Why do u have to move the container? Because it is in the wetland or u used your new road to transport it over?

It didn't meet any setback requirements, and the road is the only exemption for the wetland; I'm getting the road, so the container can't stay.

Moving it is a "good will" gesture for the wetlands guy - one battle to fight, not two.

Where I stuck it is close enough to the power panel, I can bring my MIG up and weld on it without needing a genset. :) I just need to buy some flux core (cough cough). I hate the smoke and chipping slag, but welding outdoors is what it is...

Do you actually have enough welding to justify purchasing a spool of flux core? Could you just stick weld it?

I could stick it, but my out of position stick technique sucks, and I have a spare feeder anyway. So I can leave the feeder here and bring the power supply where it's needed.

The proper welding electrodes make that "bad technique" look a whole lot better!;) But if you already have an extra wire feed drive, you could just set it up for flux core full time.

My mig supply is an invision 354mp. It does stick too. :)

Word got out about what I was doing and the locals had a chit fit over it. I ended up meeting with the town board last night and explaining that the objections people were making were misplaced and based on bad information. The chairman was miffed I didn't approach them for a culvert application (because the spot my road crosses is as high as the road already and doesn't need one in the right of way) prior to working the process of crossing the wetland, but after the roads supervisor came out today we're all good!

So now, despite 13 letters of objection on the application, we're still getting approved on the 27th whether these idiots like it or not. :D At least I know who not to give Christmas cards to.

I had a feeling you'd run into more issues. A project like the gets the whole neighborhood chatting.

These idiots thought I was going to run over topped log semi's down a 7 ton axle limit residential street every day for the rest of time. God, I wish I had trees that grew that fast!

The county wetlands guy has forwarded 13 complaints to respond to, and even after bitching about the project for 5 days on the lake association's facebook group, they only managed to produce ONE person at the meeting to oppose me.

The only semi's I'll ever run will be hauling my machinery when I relocate my shop, building supplies to build my house and shop, construction equipment, and whatever else gets delivered on a semi (I'll need to make sure my haulers are aware of the axle limits - not remotely difficult to do). The town board was relieved when they found that out and the opposition crawled into a corner and tucked his tail. :D

I had a feeling you'd run into more issues. A project like the gets the whole neighborhood chatting.

When we built our cabin (which is as nice or nicer than most homes in the area) the word traveled fast and it was the big topic at the local bar I was told.

Neighborhood politics gotta love it.

I dropped the wetlands guy an update on the meeting and he replied that he put the application out to the TEP and hasn't gotten anything back. No response with them equals no objections, so 8 days from now I'll have his signature as promised.

Two more anonymous complaints came in, but one didn't even mention me so he's not sure what that's about. I told him I wouldn't respond to a nameless party, and he agreed I shouldn't have to. :)

Nice little soap opera you got going there Jim....I don't envy you

No offense to anyone but to me "lake people" are about the same as "city people"....

Thats why I didn't want a cottage on a lake and I didn't want our land near a lake.

People ask me, "Is your land on a lake?"

"No. "

"Oh, what do you do there then"

"Ummmmm relax and some hunting"

"Oh, yeah well lake property is pretty expensive so maybe someday"

"Umm yeah".

I dropped the wetlands guy an update on the meeting and he replied that he put the application out to the TEP and hasn't gotten anything back. No response with them equals no objections, so 8 days from now I'll have his signature as promised.
Your speaking a foreign language here. I thought u had your blessings already? What's the tep?
I get the drama with the town, because it's just drama.

I had my blessing from the only one person in all of this that matters - the guy who signs the permit. Then the neighbor's got their notices, then they bitched amongst themselves and at me, then bitched to the town board, then I appeared before the board and the concerns about my operations were no different than the concerns about our beach road in general (it's poorly designed, constructed, and heavily traveled in the summer), so it came down to my using it couldn't be restricted beyond the restrictions placed on anyone else (weight limits), and the town needed to know if I was needing a culvert in their right of way (8' from the asphalt) and they would need to be paid for that if I did (but I don't). So now the township isn't against me, and my relations with 2 of the three members of the board appears to be improving greatly as the months go by and they figure out I'm not the problem the whiners make me out to be.

TEP is Technical Evaluation Panel. I've been meeting with them for several years to insure this process was done correctly.

http://crowwing.us/DocumentCenter/Home/View/777

Lake people are city people who've just relocated and want suburban laws in the country. In a perfect world, I wouldn't be near a lake. My wife and son love the water, so I'm stuck making due with the asshats who come with the proximity. Once the two primary instigators against me are gone, we should have a more normalized relationship with the neighbors. There's deep jealousy of my purchasing this tract and contempt for prosecuting trespassers. Those who've chosen to make their own opinions of me have been very pleasant. Those who want something I won't give them are dinks. We do have some good people around us up there.