Fruit trees for Spring 2023

Well I got them planted behind the garage. Quality of the Ison’s grafted pecan trees is really quite good anyone interested in pecans I would recommend them.

Got my WC trees today and planted them already, just three. They looked great. Good size, decent roots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got my WC trees today and planted them already, just three. They looked great. Good size, decent roots.

I’ve had good luck with their trees

Blue Hill Wildlife tree planted last weekend.

93a84fa0c9ee8f86256db482ba51fcbf.jpg

296c1fd124ade918f35170ed493e89f2.jpg

Blue Hill Wildlife tree planted last weekend.

93a84fa0c9ee8f86256db482ba51fcbf.jpg

296c1fd124ade918f35170ed493e89f2.jpg
Nice set up there Tenpoint. I've just used mulch in the past around my trees ....BUT have some black plastic sheeting laying around , I know it's not as heavy duty as that black weed mat you are using , but do you think it would work ?

Nice set up there Tenpoint. I've just used mulch in the past around my trees ....BUT have some black plastic sheeting laying around , I know it's not as heavy duty as that black weed mat you are using , but do you think it would work ?
I’ve used both with success in the past.

Looks good. My little stub of a trailman graft already wants to flower, had to snip off 3 flowers. Bees wont get to the indoor root maker pots. Thinking this could be a good early season cider apple, so it's getting planted at home.

I got my Wildlife Group order in on Friday. I had ordered the Late Season Pear Package for this year. Most of the pear trees if not all were of good quality with nice root systems . The Gilmore Christmas being the exception it’s roots were a bit questionable but they must of had an over abundance of those pears or where a bit unsure of them themselves they shipped me 6 extra of them. I certainly can’t complain about that, it filled my little 1/2 acre orchard I had laid out on the new farm and I brought 3 of them back to the house and planted in the home orchard. Now I’m just waiting on a couple Illinois Everbearing Mulberry trees I ordered and some grafted Pecans to arrive. Ison’s was running a sale on their grafted pecan trees and I had a moment of weakness and ordered 4 of them Friday evening now I have to figure out where to plant them.

My wildlife group order came with quite a few extra trees also. Overall I would agree trees looked good several were at least 5ft tall.

I received my whitetail crabs order today, trees were all pushing 6ft with several of them being feathered and having a very good root system. I was impressed for my first order from them.

I received my whitetail crabs order today, trees were all pushing 6ft with several of them being feathered and having a very good root system. I was impressed for my first order from them.

Yup have always received quality trees from them.

A couple of trees started to pop this week:
Kieffer planted Spring 21...this tree has not grown more than 6" in 2 years, has always looked bad (shriveled leaves), but man does it have alot of flowers!
CSZH4193[1].JPG
Golden Hornet from Whitetail Crabs planted 11/22!
IMG_8687[1].JPG
Virginia Crab from Cummins planted 4/21 lots of buds
IMG_8689[1].JPG
Chestnut Crab from Turkey Creek planted 4/21..doing very well!
IMG_8592[1].JPG
Note all of these trees have been pruned in some capacity (except the Golden Hornet whip) and I know they still need a little more..thanks!

My golden hornet planted 2016 produced early and often. Too early and too often. Didn't and still hasn't put on a ton of growth. Those orange apples are pretty conspicuous though.

My golden hornet planted 2016 produced early and often. Too early and too often. Didn't and still hasn't put on a ton of growth. Those orange apples are pretty conspicuous though.
I may take some of them off once they set...gotta leave some food for those early bees!

I may take some of them off once they set...gotta leave some food for those early bees!
I've never removed anything. Too afraid I'd do it wrong.

I've never removed anything. Too afraid I'd do it wrong.
well I am getting impatient to see some attraction so I might leave all the fruit, but have to weigh that against wanting huge trees that will produce 100X that much...decisions, decisions...

well I am getting impatient to see some attraction so I might leave all the fruit, but have to weigh that against wanting huge trees that will produce 100X that much...decisions, decisions...
I'm up to 80 fruit trees (crab/apple) so I can be patient these days. Oldest are 12 years now. I worry more about late spring frosts than anything. Kinda like when a tree takes its time to fruit so it can put on decent growth. I've got more coon damaged limbs than I care to admit.

I have planted a couple Golden Hornets. You really need to pinch the blossoms off the first 3-4 years to get any real growth on them. It is a smaller tree to begin with and they will fruit early and heavy but won't grow much unless you pinch off the blossums or fruit. I had one tree that I have pinched the fruit off for 4 years and it had grown into a nice little tree, this was the year I was going to let it fruit. I checked it the other day and it appears voles have killed it. Frustrating.

I'm up to 80 fruit trees (crab/apple) so I can be patient these days. Oldest are 12 years now. I worry more about late spring frosts than anything. Kinda like when a tree takes its time to fruit so it can put on decent growth. I've got more coon damaged limbs than I care to admit.
thats great! i have 31 apple/crab/pears above the house and ~20 below my house with the oldest being ~2 years old...so i admit the trees are in the fledgling stages right now.

thats great! i have 31 apple/crab/pears above the house and ~20 below my house with the oldest being ~2 years old...so i admit the trees are in the fledgling stages right now.
I've been there. Love seeing early apples but after some experience, don't expect much until year 5 and beyond. I can typically remove the 5' cages after about 5 years if early fruiting doesn't stunt the trees. By then I'll have it trimmed and the bottom limbs at 5' or so.