Question about pollination for apple trees

Derek Reese 29

5 year old buck +
I am still in the early stages of growing my "mini orchard/food" plot (it's getting to the point where it's not so mini anymore), but I was wondering with all the varieties in the plot diagram below, will there be any issue with making new hybrids apple/crabs or is it just that the trees need other trees to blossom at the same time in order to pollinate. I took Botany a long time ago and couldn't really remember. I don't see any kind of weird mix of apple and crab as a bad thing, as long as there are tons of apples/crabs. I really just want the best attributes of the fruit trees to shine through.
Note for the chart: all trees without a label or chart were planted in 2021 (10 in spring, 5 in winter). All trees with a + sign were just planted in November and trees with a label and a red triangle will be planted this spring.
Thanks in advance for the input.
IMG_8072[1].JPG

They just need to bloom at the same time. What variety pollinates a specific tree has zero impact on the fruit. Using your trees as an example, Wolf River tree will produce the same fruit whether pollinated by an Enterprise or Droptine Crab. The difference would come if you were to grow out the seeds from that fruit. The resulting tree would a hybrid of the parent and the pollinator.

They just need to bloom at the same time. What variety pollinates a specific tree has zero impact on the fruit. Using your trees as an example, Wolf River tree will produce the same fruit whether pollinated by an Enterprise or Droptine Crab. The difference would come if you were to grow out the seeds from that fruit. The resulting tree would a hybrid of the parent and the pollinator.
Thank you for that info...now I may have another hobby on my hands once these guys start producing fruit/seeds...my wife is not gonna be happy!

Rule of thumb I’ve used from the start is to make sure there are some crabs around. Crabapples are excellent pollinators for apple trees.
With the map layout you posted it looks like you are in good shape.

Like Gunfun posted the fruit in the planted trees will stay true to form, seeds from those will more than likely be hybrids of whatever you have in the orchard.

Rule of thumb I’ve used from the start is to make sure there are some crabs around. Crabapples are excellent pollinators for apple trees.
With the map layout you posted it looks like you are in good shape
Amen.
now I may have another hobby on my hands once these guys start producing fruit/seeds...my wife is not gonna be happy!
Your wife may be happy if one of those hybrid trees is a great eating or cider apple and it's a market smash. Big $$$$$ for Mrs. Reese !!! She might even give you an allowance, Derek !!!!! 😁 😆

Amen.

Your wife may be happy if one of those hybrid trees is a great eating or cider apple and it's a market smash. Big $$$$$ for Mrs. Reese !!! She might even give you an allowance, Derek !!!!! 😁 😆
i may just be planning my retirement on those statements...(fiendishly plants apples and crabs near each other to get seeds for a tree that drops July-March in zones 1-14, has thousands of pounds of fruit per limb and adds 100" of antler to any buck that walks within eyesight)...there you have it...my billion dollar idea..

With the map layout you posted it looks like you are in good shape.

Like Gunfun posted the fruit in the planted trees will stay true to form, seeds from those will more than likely be hybrids of whatever you have in the orchard.

I plant a chesnut crab with all of my planting groups. Always included whether I plant 3 or 10 trees in a group.

Over here in NY golden delicious is apopular polinator for other apples trees in the orchard. Seems to be here n there in an odd row or couple bunches in large commercial orchards.

I was going to ask the same thing, but in tree types. Seems the for people fruit varieties need this type of tree to cross polinate. Type A B and AB. I think having these tree types for us habitat folks helps out a bunch. Likely these dont need special tyes to polinate.

For up north in zone 3B, I chose to include some dolgo crabaaple. It's hardy down to zone 2 and it has a wide range of polinating dates. Some trees are self polinators, believe dolgo is. Drop times seem to be too early for hunting, but my spot is far away from any other apples trees I know of. Likely be the hives 1st taste of tree pollen. I got spots with room for 2-4 trees, your monster orchard with almost complete offerings from some vendors should be good to go.

I'm new to this as well. Thinking of putting up some sort of home for mason bees. One guy in our club is a contractor, he has a side gig of removing wild bees nests from homes in his area. Maybe he'll have some wisdom on this.

i may just be planning my retirement on those statements...(fiendishly plants apples and crabs near each other to get seeds for a tree that drops July-March in zones 1-14, has thousands of pounds of fruit per limb and adds 100" of antler to any buck that walks within eyesight)...there you have it...my billion dollar idea..
No thanks necessary, Derek .......... just throw money (royalties) !!!! 😁 You never know - it could happen.

No thanks necessary, Derek .......... just throw money (royalties) !!!! 😁 You never know - it could happen.
I'll just hire the marketing team for all the gimmicky products out there for it and be set for life..hardest part then would be do I hunt my Kansas or Illinois farm during the rut...if only we had such problems...